dismiss

Harbor by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Harbor (original 2008; edition 2011)

by John Ajvide Lindqvist

"From the author of the international and New York Times bestseller Let the Right One In (Let Me In) comes this stunning and terrifying book which begins when a man's six-year-old daughter vanishes.One ordinary winter afternoon on a snowy island, Anders and Cecilia take their six-year-old daughter Maja across the ice to visit the lighthouse in the middle of the frozen channel. While the couple explore the lighthouse, Maja disappears -- either into thin air or under thin ice -- leaving not even a footprint in the snow. Two years later, alone and more or less permanently drunk, Anders returns to the island to regroup. He slowly realises that people are not telling him all they know; even his own mother, it seems, is keeping secrets. What is happening in Domaro, and what power does the sea have over the town's inhabitants? As he did with Let the Right One In and Handling the Undead, John Ajvide Lindqvist serves up a blockbuster cocktail of suspense in a narrative that barely pauses for breath"--… (more)
Member:Skaidon
Title:Harbor
Authors:John Ajvide Lindqvist
Info:Thomas Dunne Books (2011), Edition: Reprint, Hardcover, 512 pages

Harbor by John Ajvide Lindqvist (2008)

English (61)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (67)
CIT:
Ad ogni dolire che li colpisce, si lanciano per i sentieri più selvaggi verso i precipizi spalancati ( )
  SamanthaRaciti | Feb 25, 2020 |
Interesting. The characters were the best part, but the end has a lot of resonance--rings true to life. ( )
  slmr4242 | Oct 16, 2019 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Lindqvist did a good job of slowly introducing the supernatural into this story, making it more believable than if he had hit us over the head with it at the beginning of the book. I enjoyed the pace of the book and found that even with 500 pages, the read was fairly quick. It is reminiscent of a Stephen King with the way it entwines reality with mysterious and unexplainable happenings.

* I received this book for free from Goodreads First Reads. ( )
  carliwi | Sep 23, 2019 |
Why did I read this book? - My favourite genre is children's books! - Maybe this has happened to you? - Your'e in a store and a book cover catches your eye. You're stood there reading the storyline and the feedback about the book. I was intrigued about the sudden disappearance of the girl. I soon bought the book!

It didn't take me long to get drawn into the story. I found the author's writing to be creative, gripping, stylish and at times compelling.
It was interesting to read about the small community of people who lived their lives on the island of Domaro.

Anders, Cecilia and their feisty six-year-old daughter, Maja had been waiting all winter for the perfect weather conditions, so they could visit Gavasten lighthouse. It was only about two kilometres from their home; named as 'The Shack'.
This trip promised to be a perfect day-out for the family. Maja was excited. She was full of enthusiasm as she set-off on her skis, wearing her red snow-suit. Anders and Cecilia had no concerns about letting Maja ski-along in front of them. The ice was thick with a good covering of snow. Anders was pleased when he discovered the lighthouse door wasn't locked. They were able to enjoy their picnic inside the lighthouse, while staring at the fabulous views! Anders took the opportunity to take some pictures of Cecilia and Maja.

Moments later, a curious looking Maja, was on her way outside the lighthouse to explore again!
A short while later, Anders and Cecilia came back out of the lighthouse, to discover their daughter had vanished! At first, Anders thought Maja was playing hide-and-seek with them! But that hope soon proved to be fruitless.
As the daylight faded, four people arrived to help with the search for Maja. They were all riding mopeds.
It was already dark when a police helicopter with a searchlight arrived to extend the search area. But alas, Maja wasn't found!
At page 37 of this 650 page book, there wasn't any reason or logical explanation given as to how this extreme event could have happened. Indeed, the reader will have to wait until almost the end of the story, for this to be finally revealed.

The story continues two years later, when a wrecked Anders returns to the island to investigate.
By now his marriage to Cecilia is over, and his daughter is still missing. Sadly, he's fallen to the depths of unemployment and alcoholism.
The author's writing was very detailed. He persistently moved from the present time to the past, in order to explain his ever-changing situation. Indeed, what follows is a story of forceful emotion, that is superbly plotted - although at times, I have to confess I found it fairly creepy and horrific. Especially as the psychological isolation and loss unfolded for Anders.
Anders thought he could feel a presence, as if someone was trying to communicate with him. I found that intriguing and compelling. But this caused confusion for Anders. He tried to control his drinking habits. He was worried he was going mad!

An amusing reference about Simon and Anna-Greta - who were good friends with Anders:
Needless to say, but there's not very much humour to be found in this book. However, the author's description of Simon and Anna-Greta's lovemaking skills, certainly had me laughing!(I'm sorry, but you'll need to read the story to find out why!)

I think this is one of the best written books I have read this year. Overall, it's an impressive novel, but ultimately, I have to confess I didn't find the last seventy-pages or so, as good as the author's earlier writing.

I'm pleased I was able to complete this book, because at times, I felt slightly out of my comfort zone. (I have never read any supernatural or paranormal literature before)

I would rate this book 3.5 stars. In my opinion it's better than 3 stars, but falls just below 4 stars.
However, I'm not surprised that many readers have given this book a higher rating. I'm sure it's almost perfect for people who love to read this particular genre.
  RobinRowlesAuthor | Aug 11, 2019 |
While trekking out across the frozen harbor from their island to the local lighthouse one winter day, Anders and Cecilia are shocked and devastated when they discover that their six-year-old daughter, Maja, has wandered off and somehow disappeared without a trace. The tragedy is disastrous to their relationship as well, leaving Anders a crushed and helpless version of his former self when he several years later decides to return to the island from the mainland. Almost immediately he begins to have a series of creepy, uncanny experiences, and moreover discovers that his daughter is not the only person to have disappeared.

The story was OK, and I was absorbed up until around the point where Elin enters the picture. I then became conscious that, as a reader, magical realism just doesn't do it for me, and the second half of the story was unsatisfying for that reason. I'd have a hard time categorizing Harbor as horror, though it seems that Lindqvist is being hailed "the Stephen King of Sweden." ( )
  ryner | Nov 25, 2016 |
Den stockholmske skjærgården beskrives stort sett alltid som en idyll med strålende solskinn og blått hav og uendelige, late sommerdager. Men det var før John Ajvide Lindqvist skrev en bredt anlagt skrekkroman fra Roslagen, ei bok som kaster lange, mørke skygger over både farbror Melker og Evert Taube.
added by annek49 | editDagbladet, Kurt Hanssen (Dec 17, 2008)

De dødes hav : «Menneskehavn» er nok en strålende roman fra John Ajvide Lindqvist, en velopplagt, potent fortelling som er både grøssende og rørende.

Skumlest av alt er kjærligheten : Hvem skulle tro at skrekkindustriens språk kan brukes til å skrive en uhyre effektfull og gripende roman om grenseløs kjærlighet?

Existentiell grundforskning : SORG OCH SAKNAD Trots gengångare och magi är skräckinslagen nedtonade i John Ajvide Lindqvists nya roman. Hans perfekta gehör för miljöer och stämningar går igen från de tidigare romanerna ­liksom förmågan att berätta

Människohamn hakar tag direkt, och en föreställningsvärld där liv kräver död, offer sin belöning och brott straffar sig verkar lika rimlig som den förtvivlade pappans övertygelse om att dottern finns kvar i det skeva huset de bodde i på ön, och meddelar sig med honom på olika rörande sätt.

John Ajvide Lindqvistprimary authorall editionscalculated
Delargy, MarlaineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my father
Ingemar Pettersson (1938-1998)
He gave me the sea
The sea took him from me
För tretusen år sedan var Domarö bara en stor, flat sten som stack upp ur vattnet, krönt av ett flyttblock som isen hade lämnat efter sig.

They only stopped watching her for a matter of minutes. Which was all it took.

On a clear winter's day, Anders took his wife and feisty six-year-old, Maja, for a walk from his home on the island across the frozen sea to the lighthouse at Gavasten. There was no one for miles around, so they stayed to admire the view while Maja struck out alone.

They never saw her again.

Two years later and Anders' wife has left him, he's an unemployable alcoholic, so he returns to what's left of his family on the island. Moving back to the hut where he'd been staying with Maja that last time, he soon begins to feel a presence in the house. Could Maja be trying to communicate with him? Someone — or something — is leaving him messages and he can feel them getting stronger.

Before long, it's not just a feeling and Anders starts seeing people who've been missing for years. Is it the drink or is he going mad?

When he realizes Maja's is just the last in a long line of disappearances and that his fellow islanders know a lot more than they'll admit, he digs deeper and unearths a dark and deadly secret at the heart of the community — an ancient evil, which he'll be forced to awaken if he's going to find out the fate of his beloved daughter.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

John Ajvide Lindqvist's book Harbor was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1921656670, 192175866X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,842,893 books! | Top bar: Always visible