Harbour by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Harbour (original 2008; edition 2011)

by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Member:seekingflight
Title:Harbour
Authors:John Ajvide Lindqvist
Info:Quercus Books (2011), Paperback, 528 pages
Rating:***
Tags:read, fiction, horror

Harbor by John Ajvide Lindqvist (2008)

English (60)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All (66)
While trekking out across the frozen harbor from their island to the local lighthouse one winter day, Anders and Cecilia are shocked and devastated when they discover that their six-year-old daughter, Maja, has wandered off and somehow disappeared without a trace. The tragedy is disastrous to their relationship as well, leaving Anders a crushed and helpless version of his former self when he several years later decides to return to the island from the mainland. Almost immediately he begins to have a series of creepy, uncanny experiences, and moreover discovers that his daughter is not the only person to have disappeared.

The story was OK, and I was absorbed up until around the point where Elin enters the picture. I then became conscious that, as a reader, magical realism just doesn't do it for me, and the second half of the story was unsatisfying for that reason. I'd have a hard time categorizing Harbor as horror, though it seems that Lindqvist is being hailed "the Stephen King of Sweden." ( )
  ryner | Nov 25, 2016 |
This book started off a little slow and then started to pick up steam toward the end. I have to add that I was highly disappointed by the actual ending, though it certainly has me thinking about what I would do in a similar situation, and what I would be willing to sacrifice for my own wants and desires. The main character is a bit selfish in a lot of ways, but I suppose parents have a habit of seeing only the best in their children and really will do anything for them, even at the cost of the lives of others. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
How can a child just vanish into thin air? That' is indeed the question surrounding six-year-old Meja's disappearance while visiting the llighthouse with her parents. Three years later a man moves into the village and soon discovers that many strange happenings have taken place before and after Meja's disappearance. This book really had atmosphere. You could feel the anguish and fear. A really scary trip. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Like many people, I was introduced by ‘Let the Right One In.’ A disturbing, masterful film – and an even more disturbing book. This is the second book I’ve read by Lindqvist and, well, it’s good. It’s a well-crafted murder-thriller-horror novel with the dark elements often associated with Scandinavian crime fiction. However, it didn’t quite live up to my (admittedly, rather high) expectations.

A young family is spending a seemingly-idyllic winter vacation on a tiny, remote Scandinavian island when, on a sightseeing trip out to a lighthouse, six-year-old Maja disappears. A couple of years later, this event has destroyed the relationship of Maja’s parents; her father is stuck in a haze of obsessive, alcoholic depression, and he returns to his cabin on the island to keep the memory of his daughter alive. Indeed, he seems haunted – almost possessed – by his certainly-gone child. At first this seems nothing more that the grief of a man whom tragedy has pushed over the brink – but the elders of the island seem to know more than they’re telling. Thinking back – why did one old man warn that being out at the lighthouse was a bad idea? Does something ancient and evil lurk in these cold Scandinavian waters?

The strengths of this book really lie in the portrayals of the facades that people create, and how we can even fool ourselves into believing in an idyllic fantasy. As the book progresses, Lindqvist tears down layer after layer to reveal a human darkness. However, the supernatural elements, I felt, were a bit weaker. I felt it was aiming for a Lovecraftian sense of unexplained chthonic horror, but at times it just seemed vague, and weak in comparison to the psychological elements of the story. I have to admit getting a kick out of the malevolent ghostly Smiths fans, though.
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  JosieRivers | Dec 28, 2014 |
Den stockholmske skjærgården beskrives stort sett alltid som en idyll med strålende solskinn og blått hav og uendelige, late sommerdager. Men det var før John Ajvide Lindqvist skrev en bredt anlagt skrekkroman fra Roslagen, ei bok som kaster lange, mørke skygger over både farbror Melker og Evert Taube.
added by annek49 | editDagbladet, Kurt Hanssen (Dec 17, 2008)

De dødes hav : «Menneskehavn» er nok en strålende roman fra John Ajvide Lindqvist, en velopplagt, potent fortelling som er både grøssende og rørende.

Skumlest av alt er kjærligheten : Hvem skulle tro at skrekkindustriens språk kan brukes til å skrive en uhyre effektfull og gripende roman om grenseløs kjærlighet?

Existentiell grundforskning : SORG OCH SAKNAD Trots gengångare och magi är skräckinslagen nedtonade i John Ajvide Lindqvists nya roman. Hans perfekta gehör för miljöer och stämningar går igen från de tidigare romanerna ­liksom förmågan att berätta

Människohamn hakar tag direkt, och en föreställningsvärld där liv kräver död, offer sin belöning och brott straffar sig verkar lika rimlig som den förtvivlade pappans övertygelse om att dottern finns kvar i det skeva huset de bodde i på ön, och meddelar sig med honom på olika rörande sätt.

John Ajvide Lindqvistprimary authorall editionscalculated
Delargy, MarlaineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my father
Ingemar Pettersson (1938-1998)
He gave me the sea
The sea took him from me
För tretusen år sedan var Domarö bara en stor, flat sten som stack upp ur vattnet, krönt av ett flyttblock som isen hade lämnat efter sig.

They only stopped watching her for a matter of minutes. Which was all it took.

On a clear winter's day, Anders took his wife and feisty six-year-old, Maja, for a walk from his home on the island across the frozen sea to the lighthouse at Gavasten. There was no one for miles around, so they stayed to admire the view while Maja struck out alone.

They never saw her again.

Two years later and Anders' wife has left him, he's an unemployable alcoholic, so he returns to what's left of his family on the island. Moving back to the hut where he'd been staying with Maja that last time, he soon begins to feel a presence in the house. Could Maja be trying to communicate with him? Someone — or something — is leaving him messages and he can feel them getting stronger.

Before long, it's not just a feeling and Anders starts seeing people who've been missing for years. Is it the drink or is he going mad?

When he realizes Maja's is just the last in a long line of disappearances and that his fellow islanders know a lot more than they'll admit, he digs deeper and unearths a dark and deadly secret at the heart of the community — an ancient evil, which he'll be forced to awaken if he's going to find out the fate of his beloved daughter.

"From the author of the international and New York Times bestseller Let the Right One In (Let Me In) comes this stunning and terrifying book which begins when a man's six-year-old daughter vanishes.One ordinary winter afternoon on a snowy island, Anders and Cecilia take their six-year-old daughter Maja across the ice to visit the lighthouse in the middle of the frozen channel. While the couple explore the lighthouse, Maja disappears -- either into thin air or under thin ice -- leaving not even a footprint in the snow. Two years later, alone and more or less permanently drunk, Anders returns to the island to regroup. He slowly realises that people are not telling him all they know; even his own mother, it seems, is keeping secrets. What is happening in Domaro, and what power does the sea have over the town's inhabitants? As he did with Let the Right One In and Handling the Undead, John Ajvide Lindqvist serves up a blockbuster cocktail of suspense in a narrative that barely pauses for breath"--… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1921656670, 192175866X

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Harbor by John Ajvide Lindqvist was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,290,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible