Harbour by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Harbour (original 2008; edition 2011)

by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Member:seekingflight
Title:Harbour
Authors:John Ajvide Lindqvist
Info:Quercus Books (2011), Paperback, 528 pages
Rating:***
Tags:read, fiction, horror

Harbour by John Ajvide Lindqvist (2008)

2011 (7) ARC (8) archipelago (6) audiobook (4) Early Reviewers (7) ebook (7) fantasy (9) fiction (58) ghosts (21) havet (6) horror (111) islands (9) library (5) love (4) magic (8) missing persons (6) mystery (14) novel (6) paranormal (4) read (12) sea (13) skönlitteratur (7) supernatural (11) suspense (4) Sweden (37) swedish (16) Swedish literature (10) thriller (14) to-read (20) unread (7)

English (54)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (2)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (60)
Unfortunately, I am unable to write a full review of John Ajvide Lindqvist's Harbor due to other pressing writing commitments at this particular time, but I feel I should clarify my 5 star rating in this case since I do give top marks to a fair proportion of books I've rated here.

Quite simply, this is easily one of the best horror novels I've ever come across in over 20 years of reading and loving this genre. Eerily, I just read one of the only other authors I've ever come across who can produce this caliber of horror novel within 24 hours of my amazing experience with this one! I speak specifically of [b:NOS4A2|15729539|NOS4A2|Joe Hill|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1369591617s/15729539.jpg|21408527] by Joe Hill (for which masterpiece I am leaving an identical review as soon as I finish typing this first version).

Only Stephen King can take over and stretch my imagination like this freaky authorial duo just did -- in their quite different stories and literary styles! I recommend this book very enthusiastically.

I am indebted to Becky Lejeune, who gave away both of these novels on her delightful book review blog(spot), No More Grumpy Bookseller. ( )
  kara.shamy | Jan 9, 2014 |
Yep, too many unanswered questions.
Which is too bad because you really want to know what happened and why. Loved the characters, the setting, the idea, I just don't feel that it wrapped up in any climactic way...which you really need by the time you slog through 3/4 of the book. ( )
  MochiMama | Aug 21, 2013 |
A couple's child dispappears when they visit a lighthouse near their Swedish village. The father returns two years later, his life ruined, and mysterious things connected to the sea begin to happen. Finally he travels back to the lighthouse and finds his daughter alive under the sea. ( )
  Figboucher | Aug 21, 2013 |
Disclaimer: I received this for free from St. Martins.

This was my first book by this author. I love good, non-gore horror, so I was excited to read this book.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first third (or so) of the book. The writing is beautiful and the book is wonderfully atmospheric. Both the writer and the translator deserve mountains of kudos for it (and for the rest of the writing).

When the story of the mystery of the island/sea start coming out, I thought it was a little odd, and not very satisfying. The characters are all real, the motivations make sense, but some of the "twists" are just a bit much.

Towards the very end of the book, the mystery/horror got a little crazy and the last few pages were just a jumbled hot mess. There was no explanation as to why the sea "monster" (for lack of a better term) was at that island, how it came to be, what the denizens of the island (who were so intertwined with it) were or anything. There was much made of how the sea was "weak" but no explanations, no resolution.

Beautifully written book, but the end just fell apart, like the author didn't know where he was going.

It's really 2.5 stars. I really, really liked the writing and the beginning, but the end kind of ruined it all for me. ( )
  suzemo | Mar 31, 2013 |
Disclaimer: I received this for free from St. Martins.

1 vote suzemo | Mar 31, 2013 |
Den stockholmske skjærgården beskrives stort sett alltid som en idyll med strålende solskinn og blått hav og uendelige, late sommerdager. Men det var før John Ajvide Lindqvist skrev en bredt anlagt skrekkroman fra Roslagen, ei bok som kaster lange, mørke skygger over både farbror Melker og Evert Taube.
added by annek49 | editDagbladet, Kurt Hanssen (Dec 17, 2008)

De dødes hav : «Menneskehavn» er nok en strålende roman fra John Ajvide Lindqvist, en velopplagt, potent fortelling som er både grøssende og rørende.

Skumlest av alt er kjærligheten : Hvem skulle tro at skrekkindustriens språk kan brukes til å skrive en uhyre effektfull og gripende roman om grenseløs kjærlighet?

Existentiell grundforskning : SORG OCH SAKNAD Trots gengångare och magi är skräckinslagen nedtonade i John Ajvide Lindqvists nya roman. Hans perfekta gehör för miljöer och stämningar går igen från de tidigare romanerna ­liksom förmågan att berätta

John Ajvide Lindqvistprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Delargy, MarlaineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my father
Ingemar Pettersson (1938-1998)
He gave me the sea
The sea took him from me
För tretusen år sedan var Domarö bara en stor, flat sten som stack upp ur vattnet, krönt av ett flyttblock som isen hade lämnat efter sig.

They only stopped watching her for a matter of minutes. Which was all it took.

On a clear winter's day, Anders took his wife and feisty six-year-old, Maja, for a walk from his home on the island across the frozen sea to the lighthouse at Gavasten. There was no one for miles around, so they stayed to admire the view while Maja struck out alone.

They never saw her again.

Two years later and Anders' wife has left him, he's an unemployable alcoholic, so he returns to what's left of his family on the island. Moving back to the hut where he'd been staying with Maja that last time, he soon begins to feel a presence in the house. Could Maja be trying to communicate with him? Someone — or something — is leaving him messages and he can feel them getting stronger.

Before long, it's not just a feeling and Anders starts seeing people who've been missing for years. Is it the drink or is he going mad?

When he realizes Maja's is just the last in a long line of disappearances and that his fellow islanders know a lot more than they'll admit, he digs deeper and unearths a dark and deadly secret at the heart of the community — an ancient evil, which he'll be forced to awaken if he's going to find out the fate of his beloved daughter.

"From the author of the international and New York Times bestseller Let the Right One In (Let Me In) comes this stunning and terrifying book which begins when a man's six-year-old daughter vanishes.One ordinary winter afternoon on a snowy island, Anders and Cecilia take their six-year-old daughter Maja across the ice to visit the lighthouse in the middle of the frozen channel. While the couple explore the lighthouse, Maja disappears -- either into thin air or under thin ice -- leaving not even a footprint in the snow. Two years later, alone and more or less permanently drunk, Anders returns to the island to regroup. He slowly realises that people are not telling him all they know; even his own mother, it seems, is keeping secrets. What is happening in Domaro, and what power does the sea have over the town's inhabitants? As he did with Let the Right One In and Handling the Undead, John Ajvide Lindqvist serves up a blockbuster cocktail of suspense in a narrative that barely pauses for breath"--… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Harbor by John Ajvide Lindqvist was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,486,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible