Straight Man : A Novel (Vintage…

Straight Man : A Novel (Vintage Contemporaries) (original 1997; edition 1998)

by Richard Russo

Member:gaskella
Title:Straight Man : A Novel (Vintage Contemporaries)
Authors:Richard Russo
Info:Vintage (1998), Paperback
Tags:Fiction, Campus novel

Straight Man by Richard Russo (1997)

Small World by David Lodge (browner56)
    browner56: Very funny treatments of academic life from different sides of the Atlantic Ocean
    Portuguese Irregular Verbs by Alexander McCall Smith (goose114)
    goose114: Another story of academia with a witty sense of humor.
    Moo by Jane Smiley (wademlee)
    wademlee: Academic satire, humorous & outrageous. Those in Academe will recognize themselves or their colleagues.
    Back in the Game by Charles Holdefer (hairball)
    hairball: Straight Man is what Back in the Game should be.
    Changing Places by David Lodge (BeckyJG)
    The Financial Lives of the Poets by Jess Walter (BeckyJG)

This is one of my favorite books of all time, passed on to me by my dear friend and fellow English teacher, Emily.
This novel's amusing protagonist reveals the absurdity of dysfunctional English departments. This novel had me sick with uncontrollable laughter, as well as constantly seeking the dictionary.

Excerpts from my bookcrossing journal:

Starting to feel that I'm too liberal with my perfect scores, but REALLY this novel deserves it! I never thought I'd have the time to read during this hectic time in my life, but I'm making time at the expense of sleep. I'm laughing out loud, unable to take breaks, looking up new words in the dictionary, and wishing this narrative would continue on! I will have to pass this on because it was sent to me in good faith by another bookcrosser, but I'm definitely buying my own copy because I can tell that I will be reading this more than once. Not finished yet, but totally immersed......

book rating: 10 out of 10
edit journal entry | upload journal entry pic | back to top

Journal entry 7 by cmjuliep from New Hartford , New York USA on Tuesday, August 26, 2003

I absolutely LOVED this novel. Intriguing characters, sophisticated, hilarious prose, profound. Self-reflective--about writing as well as life. I'm someone who takes much of life too seriously so it was really interesting to see life from the perspective of someone the opposite. Even during a mid-life crisis and perhaps the worst week of one's life, it seems a lot more fun to have this character flaw! I plan on keeping a copy to read several more times as I can tell that I can extract more meaning each time, especially as I mature. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 14, 2015 |
It s not too much of a spoiler that William Henry Devereaux and his wife run separately at the start and together at the end. Plot set in academic mid-life, premised on being stuck as in the not-very-high-budget movie "Tenure." Sardonic, ironic, aching. Cast of fools including his department and himself, and he sees it all with jaundiced eye. ( )
  ted_newell | Jun 20, 2015 |
Really liked this one. A bit heavy handed with the one-liners after a while but I suppose there's no getting around that for this particular protagonist.
Russo is just a fantastic author all around. I liked this book a lot. Had some truly ridiculous scenes, very amusing, and yet managed to work on a realistic and serious level. Much like life, which is where Russo really shines. ( )
  Laine-Cunningham | Feb 22, 2015 |
I must admit, I do enjoy a good campus novel and when I heard about Straight Man by Richard Russo I knew I had to read it as soon as I could. The story spouted from a real life situation Richard Russo had teaching at a small State University. Having made friends with the Dean of the university he found himself in a conversation about the budget. Year after year, the same thing happened and while walking past a duck pond the Dean jokingly complained that he would have to threaten to kill a duck a day until he got his budget. This ended up being the basis of not only the main character from Straight Man but the birth of the novel.

The novel tells the story of an English professor, William Henry Devereaux, Jr. at a fictional Pennsylvania University. He has been appointed as the interim chairman of the English department and once again the administration of the university has not provided a budget yet. William is also enjoying a midlife crisis and the complacency of being a tenure professor which gives us a sharp, witty and satirical look at college life.

You know what they say; ‘Everyone has a book in them’, and an English professor is more likely to know the pains of writing. For William, he has already enjoyed a brief brush with success when he released his fast forgotten novel. Despite his abilities, he will always remain in the shadows of his father; a far more popular and successful writer and professor. This creates a volatile mix of emotions and frustration for this character and the results play out wonderfully with Straight Man.

I was pleasantly surprised just how satirical this novel turned out, often humour was delivered in a number of different ways. From the outlandish situation, to dry deadpan deliveries and self-deprecation; these combinations worked well with the character and the novel itself. However behind the humour is the brutal truth of the bureaucratically nightmare an academic department faces year after year.

Ultimately what impressed me the most with this novel was the way Richard Russo managed to balance everything perfectly. He had a good sense of comedic timing and knows when to hold back or push forward. Yet he also knew how to sneak in some heavy themes without destroying the light hearted manner of the delivery. Above all, he has able to write great prose that showed beauty and tenderness as well as bitterness and comedy. It must have been difficult to balance everything but the execution made it look easy.

This review originally appeared on my blog: http://literary-exploration.com/2014/09/26/straight-man-by-richard-russo/ ( )
  knowledge_lost | Dec 8, 2014 |
Audo. In translation. Very boring. Read books like these in the 70s - and they have not been improved on. ( )
  Pears | Nov 19, 2014 |

Richard Russoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Freed, SamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Nat and Judith
Truth be told, I'm not an easy man.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375701907, Paperback)

First Jane Smiley came out of the comedy closet with Moo, a campus satire par excellence, and now Richard Russo has gotten in on the groves-of-academe game. Straight Man is hilarious sport, with a serious side. William Henry Devereaux Jr., is almost 50 and stuck forever as chair of English at West Central Pennsylvania University. It is April and fear of layoffs--even among the tenured--has reached mock-epic proportions; Hank has yet to receive his department budget and finds himself increasingly offering comments such as "Always understate necrophilia" to his writing students. Then there are his possible prostate problems and the prospect of his father's arrival. Devereaux Sr., "then and now, an academic opportunist," has always been a high-profile professor and a low-profile parent.

Though Hank tries to apply William of Occam's rational approach (choose simplicity) to each increasingly absurd situation, and even has a dog named after the philosopher, he does seem to cause most of his own enormous difficulties. Not least when he grabs a goose and threatens to off a duck (sic) a day until he gets his budget. The fact that he is also wearing a fake nose and glasses and doing so in front of a TV camera complicates matters even further. Hank tries to explain to one class that comedy and tragedy don't go together, but finds the argument "runs contrary to their experience. Indeed it may run contrary to my own." It runs decidedly against Richard Russo's approach in Straight Man, and the result is a hilarious and touching novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:13 -0400)

In the course of one week, Henry Devereaux, Jr., a once-promising novelist and now the middle-aged chairman of a university English department in hilarious disarray, faces an angry colleague, a curvaceous adjunct trying to seduce him, and a goose on local television--all while coming to terms with his philandering father, the dereliction of his youthful promise, and the ominous failure of certain vital body functions.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,152,781 books! | Top bar: Always visible