The Promise of Sleep: The Scientific Connection Between Health, Happiness…

by William C. Dement

Other authors: Christopher Vaughan

Healthy sleep has been empirically proven to be the single most important determinant in predicting longevity, more influential than diet, exercise, or heredity, but our modern culture has become a virtual study in sleep deprivation. A world without darkness wreaks havoc on our body clocks. Sleep is sacrificed to meet the demands of our endless days. Doctors regard sleep deprivation as a fact of life and do little to promote sleep health or awareness. Meanwhile, the physical, emotional, and psychological costs of unhealthy sleep continue to mount.In "The Promise of Sleep", world-renowned sleep authority William C. Dement offers a definitive guide providing the information necessary to reap the benefits of a good night's sleep. Drawing on decades of experience, Dr. Dement explains what happens when we sleep, taking us on a fascinating tour of the sleeping body and mind. Exploring sleep's surpassingly powerful effect on overall health, from the immune system to psychological well-being, readers will learn the many ways that sleep loss and deprivation can put them in harm's way, inhibiting motivation, creativity, and vitality.Imparting wisdom gained through years of sleep lab experience, Dr. Dement reveals the seven principles of healthy sleep, and gives hands-on advice on such popular topics as sleep disorders and their cures, the role of prescription and over-the-counter sleeping aids, recovery from jet lag, the power of naps, and more. With "The Promise… (more)

the quality and quantity of information contained here is incredible, and well-communicated too. but its organization is clumsy and makes it difficult to use/reference/navigate, and it can often be too long-winded ( )
  alexanme | Jan 31, 2020 |
Well written book about the history of research on sleep and the problems people have with sleeping. ( )
  M_Clark | Apr 26, 2016 |
This book is a passionate and well-argumented plea to pay more attention to the undervalued part of our lives that is sleep. It explains a lot about what sleep is, what can disturb it and what the consequences can be. It also has a section on how to improve your own sleep, but it definitely is not a self-help book.

With a stricter editor I might have given this the full five stars. There are some parts where he goes off on things that are not strictly his expertise, such as the biomedics of stimulants, and his humor can be slightly stale.

All the same, I strongly recommend this book. It will teach you a thing or two, and it might actually change your life. ( )
1 vote wester | Sep 30, 2010 |
A thorough review of current thinking on sleep problems ( )
  gophergolfer | Jan 28, 2008 |
Medicine & Health
-sleep science
  jmdcbooks | Oct 2, 2006 |

William C. Dementprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vaughan, Christophersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,500,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible