Steel Town by Jonah Winter

Steel Town

by Jonah Winter

Steel Town, by Jonah Winter, presents a historical representation of an industrial era where factories and iron and steel production were abundant. I think this book will appeal to boys in particular because its full of machines and furnaces, trains and smokestacks. The artwork is perfect for the story, full of dark grays and browns and blacks. The illustrations lend a great deal of immersion into the story. ( )
  mpielak | Mar 11, 2016 |
Gr 1-4, It’s dark, it’s grimy, and you can hear the faint rhythmic sound of a train passing by, this Steel Town. Hop back in time with Jonah Winter to an industrialized 1930s America steel town. Bustling with immigrant workers, and that steady rhythmic sound of the coal train passing by. Done in verse, and making use of rhythm and beats, Winter is able to help bring us back to a time of hard work, sweat, grime, and the immigrant experience. Most pages are text heavy accompanied by dark illustrations, along with its in depth steel making process make this a better read for older audiences. The use of rhythm and verse would make for an excellent mentor text for understanding prose and verse. The process of the steel making itself would also offer as a mentor text for step by step processes. Lastly, Steel Town makes for an excellent choice of historical fiction of early 20th century America. ( )
  foresterk | Oct 2, 2014 |
Steel town is a well written explanation of a day in a steel mill town. The story breaks down the step by step process of how iron is transformed into steel, keeping it simple and easily understandable.
I found the book very enjoyable, i felt as though i could feel what the mill workers would be going threw. I felt as thought this town could be from Pittsburgh or any other normal steel town. I found the book both emotionally invoking and informative.
This book could be used in a classroom to give a perspective on life in a factory town. This book could also be used to tie to a discussion about what the children believe their parents do at work. ( )
  Dyne001 | Jul 7, 2014 |
Teaches how steel is made, community workers.
  Brifost | Jun 4, 2013 |
I enjoyed this book. It quickly drew me in to the workers' world. The illustrations allowed me to understand their world better and it may have been difficult to understand as much as I did without them. I especially liked how the story provides details on their lunch and dinner time. This allowed me to connect with the people of Steel Town better. This story is about hardship and endurance. It would be great to use for a Social Studies lesson, especially for boys.
  Wakana | Jan 14, 2013 |

This book was good, but it spent a lot of time describing how steel was made. I was thinking it would spend more time with the job and family. Also, was this in Russia or America. I'm thinking Russia, but it was a bit confusing on that part. I thought it could have been better.

In Steel Town, it's always raining, freight trains come and go, the big furnace roars, and the steel mill never sleeps.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,922,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible