The Man from Beijing by Henning Mankell

The Man from Beijing (2008)

by Henning Mankell

The Walking Dead by Gerald Seymour (numinizer)
    numinizer: The impact of the past is strongly felt.

English (80)  Spanish (7)  German (5)  Norwegian (4)  Dutch (4)  French (3)  Italian (2)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  All (109)
Very, very creepy. If you get queasy at descriptions of bloody murder scenes, don't read this book. Otherwise, it's a good read. ( )
  ptkpepe98 | Mar 19, 2018 |
Henning Mankell is a prolific Nordic author whose novels I have only recently begun reading. It is not yet, nor may it ever be, an altogether comfortable and pleasurable fit for me. Before embarking, I read that the Nordic style of writing is often unemotional, or emotionally awkward, for American readers. I agree.

That being said, I am impressed with the depth of Mankell's writing. The amount of obvious research and factual integrity in his novels is commendable and I greatly enjoy his deftness at weaving historical facts into a work of fiction.

Mankell is an excellent storyteller, leaving a reader with no blank spaces or question(s) unanswered. At times, I want the level of unnecessary detail to lessen and the story to more quickly move forward.

The Man from Beijing is the second novel of Mankell's that I have read. It is a stand-alone book, while the first Mankell book I read was one of many books in of one of his series. I plan on returning to that series to read another of its books. ( )
  MelissiaLenox | Jan 13, 2018 |
Inquietudini dal "Paese di mezzo"

Nel romanzo di Mankell viene messo in scena il lungo cammino del disprezzo degli occidentali verso il popolo cinese, il medesimo che quotidianamente sento nei discorsi della gente. Considerati generalmente "infidi" ed "inferiori", ma tollerati perchè tuttosommato "bestie da lavoro", questa civiltà ha pagato e paga tuttora secoli di schiavitù e miseria: prima nel loro stesso paese e poi al servizio di nascenti economie capitalistiche occidentali. Considerati al di sotto degli irlandesi, dei tedeschi e degli italiani (ma solo perchè non di razza "bianca") e solo un gradino più su degli africani, gli "schiavi per eccellenza", come tutti gli schiavi sono stati deportati e adoperati come "carne da macello" nei cantieri della nascente ferrovia americana, spina dorsale delle vie di comunicazione che guideranno l'espansione industriale ed il commercio. E allora che legame c'è fra la fuga dalla miseria di un popolo e un brutale omicidio di massa in un villaggio svedese? Sembrano mondi agli antipodi, ma gli estremi spesso si toccano a chiudere un cerchio di corsi e ricorsi della storia. La Cina sta comprando anche l'Africa per espandere il mercato dei suoi prodotti e per il reperimento delle materie prime, ma l'ipotesi raccontata da Mankell parte da notizie reali per affondare in trascorsi politici Maoisti e in errori da non ripetere. Perchè non accettare quest'altro punto di vista? In fondo, come fa dire a un cinese nel libro, gli occidentali non hanno mai capito niente della loro cultura. Conquiste come la carta, la stampa, la bussola sono difficili da digerire per l'egocentrica razza bianca. Ma chissà che non sia proprio la Cina, attraverso la sua millenaria cultura e la forza dei suoi numeri, a ricordare ancora una volta agli occidentali che l'uomo bianco è un dettaglio di tutto il panorama.
  Magrathea | Dec 30, 2017 |
I love Mankell's Inspector Wallander series. I picked up this book in an airport on a whim after facing a probable delay due to weather.

What makes me enthusiastic about this book:
1. Women are the central characters.
2. All the women are at least middle-aged or older.
3. The main protagonist is a successful judge having a mid-life crises that doesn't mimic that of a man's (it is a soulful and thoughtful portrait of an older woman neither acting like, nor desiring to be, 18 again).
4. It takes place in Sweden, Nevada (!!), southern Africa, and Beijing. I raised my daughter in the northern Nevada desert (below freezing in winter, scorching hot in summer). I never thought I would enjoy reading northern Nevada history, fictionalized though it may be, in an international mystery novel.

Unfortunately, the plot really slows towards the end. I kept thinking that Mankell should have written more but felt pressure to wrap things up...or, maybe it was that the characters were fighting to put an end to things so they could carry on with their lives. I feel he should have let things linger for a couple of more chapters. Of course, I spent a very rainy day in southern California devouring the pages of this book. I was cuddled on the couch with homemade soup cooking in the crockpot. Perhaps it was me. Perhaps I just did not want the mystery to end because it took me to such lovely places. ( )
  Christina_E_Mitchell | Sep 9, 2017 |
Not a Wallander book, and not up to the level as those I've read from that series. The start is excellent, but it doesn't carry through very well at all. ( )
  JBD1 | Jul 22, 2017 |
Mankell’s fierce instinct for social criticism is admirable. If only it didn’t sabotage the opportunity for old-fashioned whodunit delight.

Henning Mankellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bolstad, KariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bree, Corry vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, LaurieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Una capa de glaç cobreix la neu, fred rigorós. Ple hivern.

Synopsis for the Dutch edition:
"Op een koude dag in januari 2006 doet de politie van het stadje Hesjövallen een verschrikkelijke ontdekking. Er heeft een bloedbad plaatsgevonden. Achttien mensen zijn op beestachtige manier vermoord. Een krankzinnige moordenaar moet aan het werk zijn geweest.
Als Birgitta Roslin, rechter in Helsingborg, de berichten erover leest, is ze met stomheid geslagen. Want bijna alle slachtoffers zijn verwanten van haar.
Omdat de politie geen enkel spoor van de dader vindt en geen enkel aanknopingspunt heeft voor verder onderzoek, besluit Birgitta de zaak zelf te onderzoeken.
Het onderzoek voert Birgitta naar het verleden en leidt haar naar verschillende continenten. Ze maakt hardhandig kennis met een nieuwe supermacht die zijn plaats opeist in de internationale arena."

Hudiksvall, January 2006, police find eighteen people massacred in a small village. They think it's the work of a mad man but Birgitta and August believe they were killed by the same person who killed their mother.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,328,183 books! | Top bar: Always visible