Tender Morsels by Margo Lanagan

Tender Morsels

by Margo Lanagan

Deerskin by Robin McKinley (infiniteletters)
    Bear Daughter by Judith Berman (Anonymous user)
    Midnight Robber by Nalo Hopkinson (nnicole)
    nnicole: Both are about incest survivors who must discover their adult identities and carve out their own place in the world.
    Gypsies by Robert Charles Wilson (infiniteletters)

A wretchedly dark and grim re-telling of the old “Snow-White and Rose-Red” fairy tale (not to be confused with the Disney Snow White), in which teen mom Liga takes her two daughters (begot by incest and gang-rape) into an alternate reality to raise them away from the world. Far too many nasty goings-on and penis references for my taste. (Dwarves and rods and bears, Oh My!) I never would have continued reading this if I was not stuck in the airport. ( )
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
I'm stuck somewhere between three and four stars on this one. To be honest, I'm glad I walked away with a positive impression. The beginning scenes and introduction of characters left me wondering what on earth had I done? I felt bad for the poor souls in Tender Morsels' world(s) but I wasn't sure I would stick it out with them until the end. I'm really glad that I did. Once I realized what was going on, I began to seem all the redeeming qualities I was meant to. I actually want to read it again already, to put some more of the pieces together. ( )
  bjoelle5 | Feb 10, 2016 |
I really don't like this fairy tale/fantasy genre and I thought this story was particularly gruesome. However, the narration was extremely well handled and the writing was quite incredible. If the story had been more along the lines of my tastes this would be a 5 star; if the writing weren't so well done it would be a 1 star. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
I was expecting this book to be Goldilocks and the three bears with a bit of a twist. Well that it is not. The book is well written, but be prepared. Liga gets kicked all over the place, abused by her father, gang raped by a group of boys, and suicidal, the moonbab sends her to her dream world. Her and her two daughters, Urda and Branza live there for many years. Occasionally there are visitors from the outside world but all they are doing is creating a mess. Eventually Urda leaves dream land, and a year later, the affects of dream land are starting to mess up the real world, so finally Branza and Liga are pulled out of dream land too. Liga gets her final kick in the ass when the man she is in love with and has been in love with for a long time Davit, asks for Branza's hand in marriage. The daughters turn out extremely well considering their origins, but couldn't Liga at least get something good for herself? ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
[N]othing in the world of adult summer reading can compare with the revolutionary content of a novel you are likely to find in the young adult section of your local bookshop. Tender Morsels ... is funny, tragic, wise, tender and beautifully written. It also left me gasping with shock.
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Meg Rosoff (Jul 31, 2009)

Drawing alternate worlds that blur the line between wonder and horror, and characters who traverse the nature of human and beast, this challenging, unforgettable work explores the ramifications of denying the most essential and often savage aspects of life. It isn’t easy, but this book is nevertheless a marvel to read and will only further solidify Lanagan’s place at the very razor’s edge of YA speculative fiction.
added by melmore | editBooklist, Ian Chipman (Aug 1, 2008)

Margo Lanaganprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Flosnik, AnneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Page, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my sisters, Susi, Jude, and Amanda
There are plenty would call her a slut for it.
You are pure-hearted and lovely, and you have never done a moment's wrong. But you are a living creature born to make a real life, however it cracks your heart.

Tender Morsels is a dark and vivid story, set in two worlds and worrying at the border between them. Liga lives modestly in her own personal heaven, a world given to her in exchange for her earthly life. Her two daughters grow up in this soft place, protected from the violence that once harmed their mother. But the real world cannot be denied forever—magicked men and wild bears break down the borders of Liga’s refuge. Now, having known Heaven, how will these three women survive in a world where beauty and brutality lie side by side?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:07 -0400)

A young woman who has endured unspeakable cruelties is magically granted a safe haven apart from the real world and allowed to raise her two daughters in this alternate reality, until the barrier between her world and the real one begins to break down.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,354,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible