Play Me by Laura Ruby

Play Me

by Laura Ruby

2009 (2) ARC (2) broken homes (1) contest (1) family (2) fathers (2) fiction (3) film (1) filmmaking (1) hardcover (1) JPL (1) love (2) lust (1) mother-son relationship (1) mothers (1) movies (3) mtv (3) Player (2) predictable (1) read (2) romance (2) sons (1) stepfamilies (1) teen (6) tennis (2) to-read (3) video production (1) YA (6) young adult (5) youtube (1)

I would recommend this book to a friend because I found it very interesting, it has humor, and some serious stuff in it. It has a good story line. Q4P4 AHS/Jenna G
  edspicer | Feb 5, 2012 |
I was definitely too old to read and enjoy this book. I didn't understand the many movie references, I felt no sympathy (or empathy) for the main character and I just didn't care what happened to him...I felt like slapping him around and tell him to "get a grip". The little brother was a great (and sad) character. This is a book where the supporting characters are more developed than the main character. I have liked this author in the past; but this one just didn't work for me. ( )
  MrsHillReads | Jan 28, 2010 |
Reviewed by Tempestt (temppatt) for TeensReadToo.com

Eddy Rochester is a movie fanatic and a wannabe famous filmmaker.

When his hit online show, "Riot Grrl 16," is in an MTV contest to be on a reality show called The Producers, Eddy and his team have a lot of work to do.

"Riot Grrl 16" is about Eddy and all the girls that love him. All of the girls except Lucinda Dulko, who isn't as easily charmed by Eddy.

With Lucinda being so unattainable and independent, Eddy couldn't be more attracted.

PLAY ME takes you through the stress of "Riot Grrl 16," Eddy's relationship with his actress mother, and his countless female friends.

PLAY ME is very realistic. You quickly become engrossed in the story because of its believability. You get a great understanding of Eddy and his friends. I love Eddy's sarcasm and how he and his friends talk about movies. You really feel like you're in the conversation.

Laura Ruby writes from a male perspective just as well as she writes from a female one. Eddy is the perfect male protagonist. The book has a great plot and great characters, and is a book that you will instantly become connected with and be entertained by to the very end! ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 12, 2009 |
Play Me seems like a gothic Dawson's Creek. Although, unlike Dawson, Eddy is quite the ladies man. In the beginning my first impression of Eddy was terrible; he is a young kid that only has one thing on his mind involving every girls pants. Then once Lucinda enters the picture my impressions of Eddy changed drastically. He may be a young man with an overactive sex drive, but I also found him to be a very well rounded character and a genuinely good person that makes many bad decisions. Lucinda on the other hand was a complicated character in my eyes; Eddy's impression of this character sang from the pages, but I saw descrepencies between what Eddy was seeing and what the story was telling me. I felt that Lucinda was very cut throat and a questionably good person. In the end I was comfortable with role that Gina takes on, and Eddy's desicion to seek comfort from her in the end was a very impressive twist. The unexpected trip to see Eddy's mother was quite a shock, but I felt that it was essential to wrapping up this story. This was a good read for the ages recommended, but as a adult that generally loves young adult books I did not find this book to be that great and I can not see myself giving it a return visit. ( )
  BookWhisperer | Oct 2, 2009 |
PLAY ME has nearly the same plot of Thu-Huong Ha’s HAIL CAESAR, about a player getting his heart broken, and the story, once again, doesn’t work for me. Maybe I’m a sucker for happy endings, but there are many moments in the novel that I didn’t feel were at all believable, and the first half of the book dragged. The book is chock full of movie references and easy-to-read narration, but I was left not caring for the characters, which is disappointing because I loved Laura Ruby’s first YA novel GOOD GIRLS so much. Perhaps I will enjoy future books of herselfs more. I certainly hope so. ( )
  stephxsu | Jan 4, 2009 |

Eddy knows how to play the game.

He is, after all, the writer, director, and cameraman—the mastermind, really—behind the hit online TV show Riot Grrl 16. When it wins a contest to be aired on MTV (and it obviously will—have you seen the competition?), he'll be famous.

Then there's the game of love. Eddy knows all the tricks, and his favorite girls are the ones with the fishnets and cherry lipstick and legs up to there. The ones who know he doesn't make any promises. The ones who are cool with it.

But as graduation looms, everything and everyone starts deviating from Eddy's master script. Never in a million years did he expect to be facing off again with the unapproachable, perfect Lucinda Dulko. For once in his life, he's not in control—and to be with Lucinda, he's willing to get swept up in the game. But what happens to a player when the rules suddenly change?

Can Eddy find a way to win it all?

Or will he get played?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:13 -0400)

Disappointed when he does not get the MTV production deal he so wants, high school senior Eddy leaves his girlfriend to take a road trip to find the mother who has left him and his younger stepbrother and taken a bit part in a television show.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,527,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible