Soon to be a Major Motion Picture by Abbie…

Soon to be a Major Motion Picture (1980)

by Abbie Hoffman

220280,199 (3.68)2

Reading "Soon to be a major motion picture" with the knowledge that Hoffman committed suicide adds a sombre note to proceedings. Hoffman gives us his take on the youth protest movement of the 1960s (and his prominent role in it) and how it turned to shit in the 1970s (especially for him).

I think history is yet to fully judge Hoffman's role in 20th Century but I'm sure he will receive more than a footnote, and "Soon to be a major motion picture" is a good way to get an idea of Hoffman's work and his humour. It's just a shame he decided it was all too much. ( )
  MiaCulpa | Mar 2, 2016 |
Hoffman describes living underground as Barry Freed. I particularly admired his inability to stay out of politics. ( )
  aulsmith | Apr 14, 2013 |
"Dear Abbie- Wait till Jesus gets his hands on you-you little bastard. Anonymous."

(My all-time favourite hate letter)
to ANGEL, my running mate, who led me into the valley of life.
My sister once told me this story.

The Autobiography of Abbie Hoffman tells the story of one of America's most influential and imaginative dissidents, a major figure in the 1960s counterculture and anti-war movement who remained a dedicated political organizer right up until his death in 1989. With his unique brand of humor, wit, and energetic narrative, Abbie Hoffman describes the history of his times and provides a first-hand account of such memorable actions as the "levitation" of the Pentagon, the dropping of dollar bills onto the New York Stock Exchange floor, and the Chicago 8 Trial, which followed the demonstrations at the 1968 Democratic Convention, as well as his friendships with Jerry Rubin, Bobby Seale, Allen Ginsberg, and many others. Originally published in 1980 as Soon to Be a Major Motion Picture, this memoir has been out of print for nearly 10 years. This edition includes a new selection of photographs chosen by his widow, Johanna Lawrenson, as well as a new afterword by Howard Zinn celebrating Hoffman's enduring activist legacy.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,435,254 books! | Top bar: Always visible