Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business by…

Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business

by Gino Wickman

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is a business self-help book. The book is based on the author’s Entrepreneurial Operating System and reads a little bit like advertising for his system. The book does have many useful suggestions but nothing that I have not heard before. It does put a lot of good information into one package but I found the book hard to read because of the author’s dry writing style. I was hoping that the book could give me a few exciting and new suggestions for my own company but my company is a sole proprietorship and the book is not written for that type of business. I did find a few interesting ideas but basically the book is targeted for small to medium sized business that have many employees. ( )
  Chris177 | May 16, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business by Gino Wickman is part book, part sales piece for the author’s “Entrepreneurial Operating System”. The fact that the author offers his own system and a website to provide more assistance to business owners is not necessarily a bad thing, so long as the book itself stands on its own. And I think it does.

The book covers the six key components of a business: Vision, Data, People, Issues, Process, Traction. Much of what the book covers is the typical advice offered to business owners. In books like these, one looks for a review of what’s already known, and those snippets of wisdom that is either new or puts a different spin on a common idea. The closest this book comes to that spin is its concept of Traction. Wickman writes that, once a company has addressed those six components, there are two disciplines needed to gain traction: accountability and better meetings. I think there are better books on how to run a business, certainly more motivating ones. This wasn’t bad, though, as a review of what it takes to succeed as an entrepreneur. ( )
  charlie2010 | Feb 24, 2011 |
Getting a Grip on Traction by Gino Wickman

Traction: Getting a Grip on Your Business is a book for business owners & operators. It contains the sort of information you’d expect to receive if you paid thousands of dollars to have a top-notch business consultant or management coach come into your business.

My challenge, as a reader and a reviewer, is that I’m not a business owner or manager. I advise people at the Executive level of a Fortune 500 company, but I’m not really part of the audience for whom Wickman wrote his book. It’s a very clearly targeted book. That’s a good thing, but it makes the book a challenge for me. How can I use this knowledge in my own life and work?

Traction tells how to implement Wickman’s Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS). It’s chock-full of valuable tools to develop your vision; surround yourself with the Right Kind of People, doing the Right Jobs; build a company scorecard and collect Data to analyze your growth or lack thereof; deal with Issues; document your processes and Get Traction! Wickman supplies links to these tools on his website www.eosworldwide.com.

It’s well-written, other than a dependence on Acronyms Without Obvious Meaning (AWOM) like EOS™, V/TO™, GWC™ and LWA™. A list of catchy, if hard-to-remember acronyms seems essential for every business coach, and Wickman has either created or collected a considerable store. They don’t make the book easier to read, but they seem to impress business operators. Anyone—like me—who has lived in Corporate America for any length of time is familiar with the alphabet-soup approach to managing a business.

Traction is not for the faint hearted. If you’re not looking to succeed, in business or in something else, you won’t have the drive to apply these lessons. The method Wickman presents in Traction is clear, easy to understand, and challenging. My own attempts at business failed because I didn’t know these methods, or wasn’t willing to apply them.

Does the book have a ring of truth? Absolutely. In my 15+ years in a Fortune 500 Company, I’ve seen Wickman’s methods and tools in practice and succeeding. If anything, I’d say that Wickman draws his net a little too tightly, pressing a little too hard to emphasize the need to operate your business “Just So.” Successful businesses use all these tools, but they are often more flexible and responsive to the needs of the people in the organization than Wickman seems to suggest.

Can I see ways to apply this material to my life and work, even though I don’t operate a business? For sure. It takes some thinking about how to apply the principles to a different situation, but the principles, by and large, remain true whether I’m operating a business, or trying to make a difference in my personal life. I can adapt these principles to dealing with volunteers at my church, or organizing a Girl Scout cookie drive. Wickman doesn’t present the material in that light, but the application is there for the willing reader.

Would I recommend the book to other readers? Yes, with a caveat. Leaders of small- to medium-sized businesses leaders will find this book useful, particularly if they haven’t been exposed to business management classes or to a large corporate environment. People in a corporate environment will recognize many of the tools, and are likely to discover valuable pointers they hadn’t picked up elsewhere. People who want to manage their own lives, their church or volunteer agency may have more difficulty applying some of the material, but it should be valuable to them as well. ( )
  Philcott | Jan 25, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found this a very tough read. Had some good ideas for businesses but again very difficult to read through ( )
  chuewyc | Dec 28, 2010 |
TRACTION: GET A GRIP ON YOUR BUSINESS by Gino Wickman was a slightly different book for me to review, as my regular readers will notice. Due to my current educational state, I figured it would be an interesting choice, however, so I embarked on a mission to learn about business ownership and management.

TRACTION spends a lot of time encouraging the reader to focus on goal setting and analysis. Are your goals appropriate for what you're doing? Is what you're doing appropriate for your goals? The idea is to stop spinning your wheels so much and get down to the business of running your business in an effective and efficient manner.

I see this book helping those running a business to both start and set goals from the beginning and get a wayward business back on track. Perhaps your business is bordering the line between profit and disaster. TRACTION has some good tips and advice for how to pull yourself in and focus on the important aspects of the business. Not every person runs a business the same way and TRACTION will help the reader learn the best way to run his or her business.

I found Mr. Wickman's writing style to be easily understandable and conducive to a casual reader looking for good advice. This isn't a textbook with dry language where the reader has to force themselves to turn the pages. The pages turn easily here, the promise of great information too tempting to stop reading. Furthermore, his advice seems very realistic. I have not had the opportunity to put any of it into effect yet, but this book is the kind that I could see anyone running a business being able to use effectively. This is a book for your average Joe and one that he or she might benefit from. ( )
  cinnleigh | Jun 7, 2010 |

Do you have a grip on your business, or does your business have a grip on you? Don't let common problems and frustrations run you and your business. Get a grip and gain control with the Entrepreneurial Operating System. Inside Traction, you'll learn the secrets of strengthening the Six Key Components of your business. You'll discover simple yet powerful ways to run your company that will give you and your leadership team more focus, more growth, and more enjoyment. Based on years of real-world implementation in over 100 companies, the Entrepreneurial Operating System is a practical method for achieving the business success you have always envisioned. Successful organizations are applying it every day to run profitable, frustration-free businesses -- and you can too.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:17 -0400)

Do you have a grip on your business, or does your business have a grip on you?. All entrepreneurs and business leaders face similar frustrations--personnel conflict, profit woes, and inadequate growth. Decisions never seem to get made, or, once made, fail to be properly implemented. But there is a solution. It's not complicated or theoretical. Based on years of real-world implementation in more than 100 companies, the Entrepreneurial Operating System is a practical method for achieving the business success you have always envisioned. In Traction, you'll learn the secrets of strengthening the.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Gino Wickman's book Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,993,969 books! | Top bar: Always visible