Amelia Rules! Volume Four: When The Past Is…

Amelia Rules! Volume Four: When The Past Is A Present (2008)

by Jimmy Gownley

The fourth book in the Amelia Rules! series. I requested the next few from the library because I’m not ready to be done with Amelia yet! I’ve given each book four out of five stars even though I really enjoyed them. Something’s kept me from falling in love with the books - maybe the superhero/ninja aspect, because I’m not really into that? Or the random asides when Reggie explains a term with a made-up definition. Sometimes they’re funny, but I usually just skim those sections because they can run long. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Dec 26, 2016 |
When her divorced mother accepts a date with “Boring Bill,” Amelia gets so worried that she and her friends concoct an elaborate scheme for spying on them with hilariously disastrous results. When her friend Rhonda thinks about running away rather than facing fifth grade, Amelia remembers when she and her best friend in New York planned to run away rather than be separated by her parents’ divorce. Amelia faces dating anxiety again when her friend Kyle asks her to come to his school banquet, where she meets a girl whose soldier father is about to be deployed overseas. Finally her mom and Aunt Tanner tell her some family stories, and she gets to just hang out with her friends.

As always, Gownley’s stories are both ingeniously funny and poignantly accurate vignettes of life as a ten-year-old in early twenty-first century America. ( )
  MaowangVater | Jan 8, 2012 |
This book is dedicated to:Kerensa Bartlett, Hailey Cook, Ethan Gourlay, James Elmour, Frances Cooke, and everyone at Small Pond Productions. And especially to Kasey Perkins who brought Amelia McBride to life before my very eyes.That's what magic is.
Everything was going fine.

Amelia McBride is going to her first dance (with a boy no less), but she's not the only one with a date. Yikes! Is Amelia's mom seeing someone too? Perhaps Reggie (a.k.a. Captain Amazing) can shed some light on the situation. But it's not all fun for the 10-year-old spitfire. A good friend reveals that her father will be sent to a dangerous country with his job in the military, and it gets Amelia thinking about her own family, her past, and what it means for the present. Also available in a hardcover edition (978-0-9712169-8-3).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:24 -0400)

Ten-year-old Amelia, who has moved from Manhattan to a small town in the wake of her parent's divorce, is going to her first dance with a boy at the same time her Mom also has a date. Then a friend reveals that her father is going to a dangerous country with his job in the military, which gets Amelia thinking about her own family, her past, and what it means for the present.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,431,526 books! | Top bar: Always visible