Write Away: One Novelist's Approach to…

Write Away: One Novelist's Approach to Fiction and the Writing Life (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Elizabeth George

Member:KatherineDuke
Title:Write Away: One Novelist's Approach to Fiction and the Writing Life
Authors:Elizabeth George
Info:HarperCollins (2004), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 288 pages

Write Away: One Novelist's Approach to Fiction and the Writing Life by Elizabeth George (2004)

English (7)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (9)
For the beginning writer, or one young in the craft this is quite a good resource. One I can recommend to those who are just joining the ranks of we who write. It is not an easy craft, and as George puts it, one of the three parts you need is Diligence. Such as reading books on craft, as well as writing each day.

George gives many examples from her work and others to bring forth ideas that resonate. Though some a skilled writer might not adopt for they are already set in their ways, some ideas are ones worth looking at for relevance to ones own work.

This is not the place to start if this is your first day as a writer. There are other books for that, but if you have been practicing your craft and stumble across the conception that you have hit a wall, this book can help you find away around those blocks that stop us from being better writers. Specific things to develop in your writing to make it shine. And easily done in this guide instead of an entire book the focuses on one thing.

You do have to get used to George's journey, and how she has adopted her process. As I mentioned, some are ones one will use, and others are going to be left in the toolbox, and each person will pick different tools.

If you are a creative writer and want to make your craft better, this is a great resource to look at and find tools that will be of use. ( )
  DWWilkin | Mar 13, 2014 |
This is less well-known than Stephen King's memoir and book on craft, but only slightly less loved among the writing books on my bookshelves. An editor once told me that if you're going to take advice on writing, take it either from name-bestselling writers or gatekeepers such as acquiring editors or agents--not necessarily anyone who writes for Writer's Digest or has taught a writing class.

And Elizabeth George fits the bill. She's the bestselling writer of the The Inspector Lynley Mysteries, which has been adapted into a BBC series. And it's a series of books that I've enjoyed myself--some of the books I've found moving. So yes, if George is going to give writing advice, I'd pay attention. And as a entertaining writer, she can write fluidly and in an entertaining--and authoritative way--about the ins and outs of the craft and technique: character, setting, plot, point of view, voice, dialogue, scene--even a "map" for writing a novel. She's a big believer in outline (in contrast to Stephen King who feels a plot is a "found thing.") I've found an outline isn't for everyone--I'm not sure it's for me--but it's certainly something to try and I found it valuable to read George's guide on how to build one. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Sep 7, 2013 |
This is probably my second favorite writing book, the favorite being Bird By Bird. This one is more structured and lays out her very precise process. ( )
  inkcharmed | Apr 18, 2011 |
I abandoned this book after the third chapter. While I read Elizabeth George's mysteries, I just couldn't force myself through this book. I realized that I didn't like a single one of the works she was referencing as "excellent" and "best practices" and thus, I found it less than inspiring. I'd rather re-read Stephen King's "On Writing." ( )
  wedschild | Aug 9, 2009 |
I love it. One of the most informative and nurturing books on writing out there. ( )
  wktarin | May 8, 2008 |

Bestselling author Elizabeth George has spent years teaching writing, and in Write Away she shares her knowledge of the creative process. George combines clear, intelligent, and functional advice on fiction writing with anecdotes from her own life, the story of her journey to publication, and inside information on how she meticulously researches and writes her novels. George's solid understanding of craft is conveyed in the enticing manner of a true storyteller, making Write Away not only a marvelous, interesting, and informative book but also a glimpse inside the world of a beloved writer.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:51 -0400)

"In Write Away author Elizabeth George offers would-be writers exactly what they need to know about how to construct a novel. She provides a detailed overview of the craft and gives helpful instruction on all elements of writing, from setting and plot to technique and process. To illustrate her points, George presents excerpts from a number of well-known writers, including Barbara Kingsolver, Harper Lee, E. M. Forster, John Irving, Toni Morrison, Stephen King, Ernest Hemingway, and Alice Hoffman."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,477,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible