Yes, Your Teen is Crazy! Loving Your Kid…

Yes, Your Teen is Crazy! Loving Your Kid Without Losing Your Mind (2003)

by Michael J. Bradley

Good advise. ( )
  aimelire | Apr 18, 2012 |
"This book covered a lot of topics with teenagers. (Not all of which were essential to why I picked up this book, but I did read most of them anyway.) The information is presented in an informal and non-threatening way, along with many "real life" situations from patients of Dr. Bradley's. I found the "Do's" and "Dont's" lists particulary helpful - short, sweet and to the point. I thought it was very interesting that Dr. Bradley included topics such as "how to get your kid to therapy if you need to", as well as a list of what drugs kids have available today, and what side effects you could look for if you suspected use.

Typically the reoccuring mantra was to keep your head, even if you have to be a doormat, and you'll get through it because at some point this roller coaster does stop (duh.) I found his tone a bit condescending at times (as in "get our your highlighter, you're going to use it a lot in this part") but overall it wasn't preachy.

Think of this book as a "training manual." While I'm not a fan of self-help books particularly, one sentence he wrote at the beginning stuck with me - "If you didn't give a damn, you wouldn't be reading this book."". ( )
  kelawrence | Mar 18, 2011 |
Bradley's book made me think about how I teach, as well as how I might parent someday. It's helpful to be reminded that my 8th grade students are simply not capable of some of the responsibility I expect from them, which doesn't mean that I can't guide them towards it. This book also made me think about how I can work to help parents work with their children, rather than sometimes setting myself up in opposition to parents I disagree with. It shows how paramount the parent-child relationship is, and made me want to support that relationship however I can. ( )
  framberg | Jun 2, 2009 |
It's all starting to make sense now, the irrational ravings of my 12 year old are actually quite normal. Seriously, I have completely changed my approach on many issues after reading this book; I even had to face many of my own demons and start to process for the first time in my life the effect my adolescence has had on me. Highly recommended! ( )
  booksbooks11 | Jan 20, 2009 |
Buy this as you are heading with teens into "those" years. You'll feel much more sane, and you will even feel a lot more human. Laughing at the phases is much better than weeping! ( )
  msimelda | Aug 13, 2008 |
To Sarah, for her joy when I am sad

To Ross, for his courage when I am scared

To Cindy, for her vision when I am blind

Thanks guys.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0936197447, Paperback)

Now in paperback! Here is the book that updates the rulebook, giving parents the training and skills they need to transform their teenage children into strong, confident, productive adults.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:41 -0400)

Psychologist Michael J. Bradley provides insight into why adolescents act the way they do, and describes the sorts of parenting changes that the modern world requires.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,407,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible