Rasputin's Daughter by Robert Alexander

Rasputin's Daughter (2006)

by Robert Alexander

4852021,184 (3.38)40
    Last Days of the Romanovs by Robert Wilton (bnbookgirl)
    The Kitchen Boy by Robert Alexander (wrz2)
    wrz2: An interesting look at the Romanov's last days

3.25 stars

This is a fictional account of Rasputin (the Russian healer or womanizer, depending on the point of view), starting some time shortly before he was murdered, from the point of view his oldest daughter, Maria, a teenager. Also during this time, Maria finds her first love.

This didn't draw me in liked I'd hoped. I really liked The Kitchen Boy, but this one just didn't quite interest me nearly as much. Will also say that I listened to the audio, and it wasn't done very well. The sound wasn't that great, and it would occasionally cut off – it did that a few times. I do wonder if I would have liked it more if I'd read it in print. Overall, it was ok – there were some parts that held my attention and the last bit was probably the best. ( )
  LibraryCin | May 5, 2013 |
This is one of the best books i have read in the the last 12 months.

Rasputin’s Daughter is considered historical fiction. it is based around Maria, one of Grigori Rasputin’s daughters. The book covers the time frame of up to a week prior to Rasputin’s death.

Rasputin himself has been world renowned as a charlatan, a genius, a monk, faith healer and psychic. in folklore, his powers were limitless, his ability to manipulate was matchless, and it took a whole lot to kill the bastard. most of the world knows him as one of the most evil and untamed humans ever to live.

Maria is a different person all together. she is mellow and loving, sweet and kindly. she sees nothing but purity in her father. Maria herself is confused, she is lonely and sad, but she has high hopes for her future. Maria is a daddy’s girl through and through.

the book reads well. the dialogue through out the book is excellent and persuasive.

RD leads you down som interesting thought paths. what happens if you remove the demonized perception of Rasputin and instead review the history of his culture in Siberia? was he really as evil as they all make him appear, or was he nothing more than a pawn in a political game, murdered and defamed in order to regain control during a coup? Maria’s perspective does exactly that, it allows him the luxury of “innocence” and allows the reader to see this historical figure in a light that would never normally be possible. we have all learned the legends too well to question them otherwise.

for anyone who cares for historical fiction, this is a great book. those who enjoy general fiction or romance thrillers, this is also a good choice.

~~

yes, for those who are interested, there is some detailed discussion on the size, length,girth of Rasputin’s cock.. no conversation pertaining to him is complete with out at least mentioning it.. it is is supposedly in the Russian museum of erotica, after all. the book even makes mention of his penis’s powers to heal, though it was still attached to his body during the time frame in the book.

go magic cock and undying men!

xpost RawBlurb.com ( )
  JasonBrownPDX | Nov 22, 2009 |
I'm rating this a little lower than "The Kitchen Boy," largely because the subject matter isn't as interesting to me (I've never found Rasputin a particularly interesting character) and the mystery wasn't as compelling. (The whole "poisoned-shot-drowned" thing was made up according to this - as historical "revelations" go, it wasn't as compelling to me as what really happened to Maria and Alexei.)

Where Robert Alexander shines is his obvious love for Russian people, language and culture. His lingering descriptions of tradtional Russian meals and customs were wonderful, and really made the setting come alive.

I did have a few qualms - I think choosing to show Rasputin's healing directly was a mistake. It's the kind of thing that needed to be off screen, because explanations of mystic phenomena don't work well. In addition, it forced Alexander to take a position on the question of whether Rasputin actually had healing powers, which I felt would have been better left ambiguous.

I had a few other quibbles - everything I've ever read indicated that Rasputin was despised by all classes, and his association with the Empress was an unalloyed disaster. There are a couple of scenes here that feature peasants saying that the fact that a peasant like Rasputin could talk to the Tsar gave them hope.

Similarly, I have a hard time believing that, in the small and crowded apartment the family lived in, so many things could be a surprise, or successfully hidden from the other inhabitants. (I'm trying not to give away too much of the plot, here.)

However, I enjoyed the book, and I look forward to reading the third of the trilogy. ( )
  teckelvik | Oct 25, 2009 |
"Robert Alexander" is a contemporary American writer who is working on a series of books dealing with the last of the Romanovs and their fractious court. "Rasputin's Daughter" is based on real historical events, but it comes across as a little too "Hollywoodish" at times. Too many credence-stretching coincidences in the last quarter of the book, perhaps. Also, I didn't "buy" the first person narrative, supposedly in Maria Rasputina's own voice, but not really believable. Still, it was a good enough "read".

Now, if I were to write a historical novel about Rasputin's daughter I'd want to include at least a little bit about her dramatic and strange life after leaving Russia - a life which included a stint in the circus as a lion tamer and another period as a steel-welder in Miami! She died in Hollywood California in 1977, at the age of 78. ( )
  yooperprof | Jun 18, 2009 |
In the beginning of the twentieth century
Russia found itself at a rasputiye,
When all of a sudden there appeared a rasputnik
And Russia became mired in a rasputitsa. M. Tarlova
For Marly Rusoff
Believe me, I'd tell you if I knew.

I got tired of this scenario: Daughter warns her father of danger. Father walks away without listening. Daughter heedlessly runs after him and ends up making friends with questionable characters. Airhead. I returned this book to Costco and didn't even feel bad about cheating them.

From the author of the national bestseller The Kitchen Boy comes a gripping historical novel about imperial Russia’s most notorious figure

Called “brilliant” by USA Today, Robert Alexander’s historical novel The Kitchen Boy swept readers back to the doomed world of the Romanovs. His latest masterpiece once again conjures those turbulent days in a fictional drama of extraordinary depth and suspense. In the wake of the Russian Revolution, Maria Rasputin—eldest of the Rasputin children—recounts her infamous father’s final days, building a breathless narrative of intrigue, excess, and conspiracy that reveals the shocking truth of her father’s end and the identity of those who arranged it. What emerges is a nail-biting, richly textured new take on one of history’s most legendary episodes.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:39 -0400)

A fictional narrative by the daughter of the infamous Grigori Rasputin.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,381,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible