Up in Smoke (Silver Dragons, Book 2) by…

Up in Smoke (Silver Dragons, Book 2)

by Katie MacAlister

Series: Dragon Septs (6), Silver Dragons (2)

531918,991 (3.79)6

Relatively quick read continuing May's story. May ends up with a dragon heart shard inside her that causes her to take on the dragon form and all that it means to be a dragon. May's story is likable enough but I like Aisling better. ;^) ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
This book has fun, quirky characters and tons of action. If I had one complaint it might be that there was almost TOO MUCH action, and not enough character development. Overall, an enjoyable, escapist read. ( )
  ABShepherd | May 15, 2013 |
“Carrie Fay always says that nothing is really horrible unless it eats away your face.” Sally said with sublime disregard.

That line made me laugh out loud. Seriously, its hilarious. And well, it’s true too!
I loved this book. This may very well be my newest favorite trilogy. I want to read the last book more than any other book I have right now. And I will have to soon, cause they are due back to the library on the 24th! On the other hand, I’m really sad that its almost over. Sure, there’s the Aisling Grey series, and the start of the Light Dragon series, but I want more Silver Dragons.

Why? Gabriel. Woooooohooooo, that dragon could give me his fire any time he wanted. Ok, so after the first book I claimed that I got more of a Bruno Campos vibe from Gabriel. Not anymore. I still don’t know if I can picture him just like the author describes, but I am just about there. I can picture this guy moving through the room. Quiet. Calm. Deadly. And he loves May Northcott more than anything in this whole universe. And boy oh boy oh boy, it is a hot hot love that they have.

This book takes place right after the first. We find May in Abaddon, basically getting all prettied up for a whole lotta nothing in her mind. Magoth, by the way, I am certain is Rudolph Valentino. I may be wrong, but Katie MacAlister keeps saying how he was a dark, brooding, sexy silent film star. I would place my money on Valentino! Ok, back to the book. May is getting a mud mask from Sally, who has designs on becoming a demon lord herself. You want to hate her, you kind of like her, she’s funny. She reminds me of Paulette in Legally Blonde. Up in your face, seemingly naïve…but you know there is more there. This woman has layers, even if she isn’t a top character in the book. She has enough personality to have a spin off! Then May disappears!! Ok, she doesn’t actually. But she does get summoned up to see Gabriel, Aisling, and the group. There’s a plan to get her out of Abaddon. Annnnnd it involves her becoming Magoth’s consort.

But whatever works, works. I don’t care, as long as she gets out and gets closer to Gabriel. And through a series of events, the dragon shard from the phylactery lands itself right inside of May!! Suddenly she is shifting during sex into a dragon, she is moody, she is flying off the handle. I loved it!!! She doesn’t, however. She’s worried about becoming a dragon permanently. So of course there is a plan to get her out of that situation.

That’s what I love about this trilogy. There’s a main storyline, and all kinds of shenanigans along the way. Cyrene gets into trouble, of course. Kostya is around. We meet some new dragons. Its mayhem! There is no way you could get bored reading this series. Katie MacAlister definitely does a good job of keeping you on your toes.

There’s a lot of action in this book. Fighting action, plotting action, battle action, sexy as hell on fire action. I couldn’t read it fast enough. I love the absolute unfaltering devotion of May and Gabriel. If I gave stars on my reviews, this book would get all 5 :) ( )
  FictionalCandy | Nov 8, 2011 |
Book #1 Playing with Fire ended with May taken away from Gabriel to be the demon lord Magoth's consort for her insolense to disobey his direct order to get the Phylactery, a dragon source of power, to him.

Now Gabriel has the Phylactery and May is in Abbadon ( read Hell ) where Magoth is trying to leer and lure her into ignitiate her consorthood as she ducks and dodges his advances while trying to find how she could return to Gabriel, her Mate.

Before long she's back on the top side in her dragon's arms, but it comes with a price one that she doesn't willingly take on.

Her twin has hooked up with Gabriel's enemy Kostya which causes friction between the two women, and it doesn't help that May has to go make peace with god her twin has upset, and that due to unfortunate insident she has to make try make good with being more dragon than she ever excepted or wanted, and noticing just how much Gabriel likes her new dragon traits. But it isn't a given that she wasn't to be anything other than her doppelganger self.

As always Katie MacAlister's dragon novels are entertaining, hot and full of great one liners and a fast pace plot with plenty of Alpha Male Dragons with yummy possessive tendensies and healthy libidos!

Fun read! Not quite as good as Book #1 but very close! Oh - and do read Playing with Fire first, this is direct continuation of the first book. ( )
  NiinaC | Aug 14, 2011 |
This is a funny, laugh out-loud romantic comedy series. I've enjoyed them all. Warning to the faint at heart, there is sex and lots of dream loving. The dragons are interesting and the idea of being in control of keeping the evil from entering our world kept me interested, so did all the laws involving what a person could do or not do in the other world. The different roles taken by the members took a bit to follow, but I enjoyed this series. Katie MacAllister's writing is full of humor. ( )
  cenneidigh | Jan 8, 2011 |

Katie MacAlisterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rosenblat, BarbaraReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
‘‘Beautiful in is beautiful out; that’s what they taught us at Carrie Fay, and I absolutely believe it’s true. I mean, think about it—the sort of person you are doesn’t just stay inside you, now, does it?’’

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451225287, Mass Market Paperback)

Where there’s smoke, there’s one hot New York Times bestselling author.

Though May Northcott’s heart belongs to Gabriel, leader of the silver dragons, being stuck in Abaddon has significantly cooled down her love life. Especially since a demon lord is trying to woo her. Looks like May will have to barter to gain her freedom and fulfill her destiny by Gabriel’s side...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:32 -0400)

Though May's heart belongs to Gabriel, the leader of the silver dragons, being stuck in Abaddon has cooled down her love, especially since a demon lord is trying to woo her. Gabriel encourages May to succumb to the Demon Prince's advances. Since May was created in the mortal world, her surrender would shed him of his powers.… (more)

Katie MacAlister is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,059,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible