Your Baby and Child: From Birth to Age Five…

Your Baby and Child: From Birth to Age Five

by Penelope Leach

a very important contribution to this subject; probably the best childcare manual type book i've come across. she has a very wise and loving perspective. i absolutely love that she finds a way to be respectful to babies while not ignoring the needs of parents (i find some of the attachment parenting people a bit extreme... at some point, you really do have to put the baby down and wash the dishes or cook a meal.) the advice in this book is very humanistic, gentle, loving- yet also extremely practical. ( )
  julierh | Apr 7, 2013 |
When I heard that I'd be a father for the first time in my life, I had mixed feelings and started to ask myself a lot of questions. One of the questions I still ask myself is very simple: The baby arrived home safely and then what? In other words, where's the documentation for the most complex entity that I'll interact for a long time? I guess it is natural to ask this kind of question because I'm a professional software developer and having been involved with computers for the last 20 years I'm used to reading some detailed documentation before and during my interaction with things that I'm not familiar with. And I'm definitely not familiar with raising a baby (having a younger brother does not count, that was about 30 years ago and I don't remember much about the basics).

When I mentioned this to Chris Stephenson, former head of computer science department of Istanbul Bilgi University whom I had the privilege to work with and the experienced father of a wonderful child, he said that there was one book which he gave as a gift to every young parent expecting a child. Based on his advice I decided to buy and read "Your Baby and Child". And I'm very glad that I did.

Some of you may think it is a little bit too early to comment on the book; yes I'm still an expecting father, our baby is yet to come but after reading this book I feel much less scared and more confident. It full of so much practical information that I do not feel the need to go out and look for another book on this topic. The structure of the book is very straightforward, it is mainly organized by the age of the baby and then by the most important topics such as "feeding and growing", "everyday care", "excreting", "sleeping", "crying and comforting" and others such as "talking" which appear under the relevant age section.

At 560 pages it may seem a little intimidating or superfluous but the style of the author is very clear and almost every sentence contains nuggets of important information. Compared to some other books on parenting this book does not try to comfort you with endless humour, but just like a firm, caring parent it tries to be your guide in this journey. It also includes short reactions and thoughts of parents who faced different situations. The book comments on these, too, which I also found very informative.

I have no doubt that I'm going to keep it very close to our baby's bed. Some people may think that parenting naturally come to them, just like breathing, and there's no need to panick but having learned that even breathing can be studied I prefer to have a handy guide when it comes to interacting with my baby. ( )
  EmreSevinc | May 13, 2011 |
I absolutely LOVE this book. Got me thru 2 children. Great reference. Perfect for the 1st time mom! ( )
  booklovers2 | Sep 2, 2009 |
This book saved my life when my daughter was born. I am the oldest of a very large family, but the term "wakeful child" was not one heard in my growing up years. It's smart, direct, and very, very useful. ( )
  Prop2gether | Jul 1, 2008 |
This is my favorite all-around, basic developmentally driven parenting book, hands down.

I loathe the What to Expect... books for their hysteria about anything unconventional, I am annoyed by books by male doctors telling women how to be mothers and I don't like books that argue one narrow type of parenting is the only thing that will save your child from growing up psychotic.

Leach is a wonderful voice of balance and wisdom. She takes a child-centered approach without asking parents to be martyrs and her tone assumes her reader is not an idiot. I enjoy her writing style, too, which is a nice bonus. ( )
1 vote lilysea | Jun 16, 2008 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375700005, Paperback)

Penelope Leach's Your Baby & Child has been a beloved favorite for years. With this new, revised edition, Leach has updated her information and approach to reflect new findings in the field of child development, and to respond to the changing needs of today's families. Leach has utter respect for children and their parents; she explains development, child care, and parenting concerns clearly and without condescension.

Each developmental stage--newborn, settled baby, older baby, toddler, and young child--is discussed in terms of feeding, teeth and teething, growing, excreting, crying, sleeping, playing, and everyday care. For each stage, an additional set of appropriate topics is discussed, including muscle power, speech, child care, and appropriate toys. Colorful and expressive photos display infant, childhood, and toddler behavior. With her common-sense, child-positive approach, Leach carefully dispels negative parenting attitudes, and teaches readers how to stop, listen, and learn from their children. --Ericka Lutz

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:47 -0400)

"This new version, completely rewritten for a new generation, encompasses the latest research and thinking on child development and learning, and reflects the realities of today's changing lifestyles and new approaches to parenting."--Jacket.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,158,057 books! | Top bar: Always visible