The Stolen by Jason Pinter

Hmmm, tricky. I didn't love it, didn't hate it. I quite liked the style and the way the story was continuously pushed forward, but on the downside I had two major problems with this book. One - I figured out what was happening very early. I don't think I'm particularly a genius for this - I think most readers will work it out. The problem here of course is that if we can figure it out so early, then it makes our hero, super-investigative journalist Henry Parker, look a bit like a dolt for taking so long. Two - huge plot-holes in the story. I can't give the main hole away without spoiling the story for those who haven't read it, so I won't, but lets just say people's motives for behaving the way they do is more than a little questionable.
I'm glad I'm not a friend of Henry's - they seem to get into more than their fair share of trouble. This is the first Pinter book I've read, but constant references back to previous incidents featuring Henry and his girlfriend Amanda mean that I don't feel the need to read any back story in a previous book. It also makes Henry seem like a very unlucky reporter and I can't help wondering how scarred he will end up being by the end of the series! ( )
  bibliobeck | Aug 17, 2010 |
One of the Henry Parker novels and the first I’ve read. A child kidnapped some years earlier reappears with his family with no recollection of where he has been or what has happened and Henry, a journalist, is invited to interview the child and tell his story. However Parker’s investigative skills are pushed when he wonders why no one else is interested in fining out what has happened to the child.

What follows is a well written thriller as Parker chases down the truth in the face of increasing political pressure to back off and physical danger.

The premise of this story was good and yet it left me feeling slightly dissatisfied. ( )
  uk_jw | Jul 5, 2009 |
One of the most unbelievable things has happened. Twelve year old, Daniel Linwood has returned home. So your probably saying so what’s the big deal about that? Well the big deal is that five years ago Daniel Linwood vanished. The police, his family and the community searched but never found a single trace of what happened to young Daniel. Now here he is, standing on his parents door step without a single scratch on him as if he never was gone.

Henry Parker is a reporter with the New York Gazette. Henry’s boss gives him the assignment of interviewing the Linwood family reunion story. While interviewing Daniel, Henry learns someone or something more sinister is behind a whole string of children disappearing just the same way as Daniel did. Henry could have just stumbled on one of the biggest stories of his career. There is just one problem… Henry needs help. Henry knows just who to turn to be will she lend a hand to Henry or will Henry be on his own this time?

Henry Parker is a fine character. He’s one of those reporters where they will do anything to bring the readers the best stories around even the gritty and grimiest ones that other reporters might not tough. The Stolen is the first book I have read by Jason Pinter featuring Henry Parker. I have wanting to check out a Pinter book for a while. Well after finishing The Stolen I have to say that I was not disappointed. I am glad to say that I have now read a Jason Pinter book and enjoyed it. While not a new author, Mr. Pinter is one of the greatest new author’s to come my way. The Stolen is Mr. Pinter’s third book featuring Henry Parker. You can be assured I will be checking all Mr. Pinter’s other books featuring Henry Parker. ( )
  Cherylk | Aug 16, 2008 |

Daniel Linwood, 11, suddenly reappears on his family's front porch five years after being kidnapped. Parker, a young but seasoned New York Gazette reporter, snags an exclusive interview with Daniel and his overjoyed mother. But Daniel appears to have no recollection of his missing years, and something he absentmindedly says in the interview deeply rattles Parker—convincing him there's a sinister undercurrent to this feel-good story. Working with his ex-girlfriend, Legal Aid Society lawyer Amanda, Parker meets resistance from law enforcement officials, a popular politician and even his own editor. What he gradually uncovers involves seemingly disparate individuals with unexpected motives, desperate to keep their activities a secret. Parker's first-person voice dominates: it lists between Parker as gritty, desensitized journalist and young romantic who wants little more than to spend the rest of his life with one woman.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0778325725, Mass Market Paperback)

Five years ago the boy vanished without a trace. Today he came back.

Five years after he disappeared, young Daniel Linwood returned to his suburban home for dinner as though he'd never left. It's a blessing for both his family and their community. And I've snagged the exclusive interview.

But it turns out Daniel is just one of a string of abducted children who have mysteriously returned to their families with no memory of their lost years. Some people want me to leave it be. Some want me to simply let the healing process begin. But these wounds are deeper than anyone realizes.

To get the story on these bizarre kidnappings, I need the help of the one woman who owes me nothing. I've got to find answers before another life is snatched away from sight and time and memory. But doing so means we could be the next ones to go.…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:51 -0400)

An eleven-year-old boy is returned to his parents five years after he disappeared, with no memory of what happened to him. Reporter Henry Parker discovers the boy is not the only such victim and digs deeper.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,924,323 books! | Top bar: Always visible