Alice's Tulips: A Novel by Sandra Dallas

Alice's Tulips: A Novel (edition 2001)

by Sandra Dallas

Member:klpsnow
Title:Alice's Tulips: A Novel
Authors:Sandra Dallas
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2001), Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:*****

Alice's Tulips by Sandra Dallas

Alice’s Tulips by Sandra Dallas is an epistolary novel set during the American Civil War. Alice is a young bride, who at age 16 is vain, flighty, boastful and ignorant in the ways of the world, but after her husband Charlie leaves to be a soldier, she and her Mother-in-law have the running of the farm to attend to. Over the course of the next few years, Alice gains in maturity but not before her innocent flirting with a Southern sympathizer tarnishes her reputation and causes her some heartbreak.

Alice is very skilled with her needle and excels in quilting. As quilting is also an interest of the author, the book is full of information about the history of quilting and where many of the patterns originated. Alice learns to appreciate the friendship of other women and although she always feels that her critical and taciturn mother-in-law doesn’t like her, late in the book she learns that her mother-in-law has seen how Alice has worked and grown and values her greatly.

I listened to an audio version of this book and at first I wasn’t sure if I would be able to get through this format as the voice of the reader, Ali Ahn, was very grating but, as the story developed and Alice matured into a strong and independent woman the voice grew with the character and became quite tolerable. This is a warm-hearted story of pioneer women facing tough challenges and I enjoyed it very much. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Apr 2, 2017 |
The story of a young bride who returns to her husband's farm when he joins up. She has not lived on a farm and must adapt to farm life and a new mother-in-law who is not very happy. Alice and her mother-in-law have to work the farm together when the hired hand and negro run off. The book tells Alice's hardship and loneliness of life without her husband around. Since she is young and only sees the good in people, she gets herself into trouble on more than one occasion. The real life of women during the Civil War made this an excellent book to read. ( )
  JCGirl | Aug 20, 2016 |
This was my book club read for April. A great read! A bit hard to get into at first but I think that was because of the other books I had been reading at the time. I loved how descriptive the author was. I felt each and every emotion that Alice did. A bit embarrassing reading this book in public though lol I was at my daughters gymnastics class and it took everything I had not to cry. It was a little predictable but I didn't mind so much because the writing is fantastic. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
5***** and

Told in epistolary form, we get a glimpse of what it was like, "back home" for the women left behind when their men left for the Civil War.

Alice is a young (18 years old) bride living with her mother-in-law to help run the farm when her new husband goes to war. She is new to town, and not everyone likes her (including her mother-in-law, apparently). The story is told in a series of letters Alice writes to her sister Lizzie, covering Dec 1862 - May 1865. As she did in [The Persian Pickle Club], Dallas leaves us wondering "who did it?" In the meantime we see the mistakes of youth and immaturity, and the growth that comes of facing the consequences of our decisions. I've read it twice; the second reading in Oct 2002. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 11, 2016 |
When her husband enlists as a Union soldier, teenage newlywed Alice Bullock must live on his family's Bramble Farm on the outskirts of Slatyfork, Iowa, with only her stern mother-in-law for company. The story is told through Alice’s letters to her sister over two and a half years, and are filled with accounts of quilting bees, the hardness of farm life, and small town customs. In her long, gossipy letters to Lizzie we experience Alice's life on the run-down farm. As the story unfolds, secrets and mysteries flourish, and Alice shares every joy and sorrow with her sister by letter. The farm is falling apart, there is little food to eat, squatters are living on her property, her horse is dying and she is constantly being scolded. She misses her husband desperately and fears he may never return from the war.

The letters portray a growing up period for Alice as she changes from a young bride to a woman who has responsibility over the lives of others. Alice likes to have a good time, and admits to be very vain about her sewing and quilting skills. Her only happiness is when she takes up her needle to sew and quilt. This pastime is one of her remedies for those lonely nighttime hours stuck inside the small house. As Alice faces life’s challenges and becomes the main suspect in a local murder she re-examines her relationship with Mother Bullock. Their growing mutual respect forms the core of a novel about the realities of a woman’s life in Civil War era America. The last third of the novel is a subtle balance between sentiment and tragedy and I couldn't put it down.

This was my first Sandra Dallas novel and I enjoyed it so much. If you have an interest in both historical fiction and quilting you will get even more enjoyment from this book.
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
For my sister Sheila
December 3, 1862--Dearest Sister Lizzie, Are you surprised to hear that Charlie has gone for a soldier?

Alice Bullock is a young newlywed whose husband, Charlie, has just joined the Union Army, leaving her on his Iowa farm with only his formidable mother for company. Alice writes lively letters to her sister filled with accounts of local quilting bees, the rigors of farm life, and the customs of small-town America. But no town is too small for intrigue and treachery, and when Alice finds herself accused of murder, she discovers her own hidden strengths. Rich in details of quilting, Civil War-era America, and the realities of a woman's life in the nineteenth century, Alice's Tulips is Sandra Dallas at her best.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:51 -0400)

"Alice Bullock is a young newlywed whose husband, Charlie, has just joined the Union Army, leaving her on his Iowa farm with only his formidable mother for company. Alice writes lively letters to her sister filled with accounts of local quilting bees, the rigors of farm life, and the customs of small-town America. But no town is too small for intrigue and treachery, and when Alice finds herself accused of murder, she discovers her own hidden strengths" -- back cover.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,971,043 books! | Top bar: Always visible