Still Life by Louise Penny

Still Life (2005)

by Louise Penny

Series: Chief Inspector Armand Gamache (1)

The No. 1 Ladiesʼ Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: The first of another fun mystery series: a lovable detective and an entertaining group of supporting characters, all against a lively African backdrop!
    Raven Black by Ann Cleeves (y2pk)
    y2pk: Inspector Jimmy Perez investigates murder in a small isolated community located on the Shetland Islands of Northern Scotland.
    Thus Was Adonis Murdered by Sarah Caudwell (wandering_star)
    wandering_star: Both these mystery series are excellent examples of the quirky/cosy end of the spectrum, with extremely engaging characters, an ironic wit and good twisty mysteries.
    Bone by Bone by Carol O'Connell (VictoriaPL)
    The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (sturlington)
    I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley (BookshelfMonstrosity)

English (225)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All (230)
I really liked this book, the first in a series featuring Chief Inspector Armand Gamache. This particular book is set in a small town south of Montreal (Canada) where an old woman, beloved by many in the town, was killed by a hunting arrow through the heart. Penny seems to have a special skill for creating original and vividly-depicted characters. I loved Gamache, especially that he didn't embody the cliche of the brooding, divorced alcoholic who rebelled against authority. No, Gamache is happily married and is a kind soul who values teamwork. I really disliked the character of Yvette Nichol, the egotistical new agent Gamache tries to take under his wing. She refused to learn and didn't listen to simple instructions and was generally nasty to everyone. I wonder if the character is in future books? I'll definitely be picking up the next in this series. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
An enjoyable debut mystery, this is a contemporary story that reminded me very much of the classics. With a terrific setting of a small Quebec village and an assortment of interesting characters, there's a lot to like here. I wasn't sold on some of the actions and motivations of both the victim and the murderer, and one of the chief inspector's subordinates was over-the-top annoying and unlikable, but none of it detracted too much from a solid outing. If you're looking for a cozy new series, this one is worth a look. ( )
  jimgysin | Jun 19, 2017 |
It's entertaining. I haven't read any detective novels before, but heard about this from the podcast "What Should I Read Next." Louise Penny and the Inspector Gamache novels always seem to come up as a good series. So I gave it a try. It's funny, descriptive with interesting characters. It's not my favorite genre, but is good when I just needs a good story to get lost in. ( )
  kerchie1 | Jun 9, 2017 |
I like Inspector Gamache and the mystery definitely kept me guessing - I loved the clue that gave it all away. One of the interesting aspects of the story was how narrative can be so far from the truth - everyone thought they "knew" someone because of a persistent narrative, despite the actual experiences that people had with that person. ( )
  tjsjohanna | May 17, 2017 |
Loved, loved, loved this book. So different and so engaging. Well-written. I want to read all of her books. ( )
  bcrowl399 | May 9, 2017 |
The beauty of Louise Penny’s auspicious debut novel, STILL LIFE, is that it’s composed entirely of grace notes, all related to the central mystery of who shot an arrow into the heart of Miss Jane Neal,...

Louise Pennyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Salminen, RaimoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stumpf, AndreaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tse, EdwinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werbeck, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is given, along with all my heart, to Michael
Miss Jane Neal met her maker in the early morning mist of Thanksgiving Sunday.
She also felt a stirring that suggested she didn't actually like her son. Love, yes. Well, probably. But like?
Evil is unspectacular and always human, and shares our bed and eats at our own table. (From the third verse of 'Herman Melville' by W. H. Auden, quoted by Jane Neal in chapter one)
Every year the hunters shot cows and horses and family pets and each other. And, unbelievably, they sometimes shot themselves, perhaps in a psychotic episode where they mistook themselves for dinner. It was a wise person who knew that some hunters -- not all, but some -- found it challenging to distinguish a pine from a partridge from a person. (Chapter 1)
[Gamache is talking with Myrna Landers]

'The funny thing about murder is that the act is often committed decades before the actual action. Something happens, and it leads, inexorably, to death many years later. A bad seed is planted. It's like those old horror films from the Hammer studios, of the monster, not running, never running, but walking without pause, without thought or mercy, toward its victim. Murder is often like that. It starts way far off.' (chapter 7)

Winner of the New Blood Dagger, Arthur Ellis, Barry, Anthony, and Dilys awards.

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the Surêté du Québec and his team of investigators are called in to the scene of a suspicious death in a rural village south of Montreal. Jane Neal, a local fixture in the tiny hamlet of Three Pines, just north of the U.S. border, has been found dead in the woods. The locals are certain it’s a tragic hunting accident and nothing more, but Gamache smells something foul in these remote woods, and is soon certain that Jane Neal died at the hands of someone much more sinister than a careless bowhunter.

Still Life
introduces not only an engaging series hero in Inspector Gamache, who commands his forces--and this series--with integrity and quiet courage, but also a winning and talented new writer of traditional mysteries in the person of Louise Penny.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:00 -0400)

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the S?urete du Quebec and his team of investigators are called in to the scene of a suspicious death in a rural village south of Montreal. Jane Neal, a local fixture in the tiny hamlet of Three Pines, just north of the U.S. border, has been found dead in the woods. The locals are certain it's a tragic hunting accident and nothing more, but Gamache smells something foul in these remote woods, and is soon certain that Jane Neal died at the hands of someone much more sinister than a careless bowhunter.--From publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,208,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible