Still Life by Louise Penny

Still Life (2005)

by Louise Penny

Series: Chief Inspector Armand Gamache (1)

3,1962241,744 (3.85)649
Recently added byMegEynons, private library, Rena37, picardyrose, bcrowl399, goodal, LittleGreenBookshop
    The No. 1 Ladiesʼ Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: The first of another fun mystery series: a lovable detective and an entertaining group of supporting characters, all against a lively African backdrop!
    Raven Black by Ann Cleeves (y2pk)
    y2pk: Inspector Jimmy Perez investigates murder in a small isolated community located on the Shetland Islands of Northern Scotland.
    Thus Was Adonis Murdered by Sarah Caudwell (wandering_star)
    wandering_star: Both these mystery series are excellent examples of the quirky/cosy end of the spectrum, with extremely engaging characters, an ironic wit and good twisty mysteries.
    Bone by Bone by Carol O'Connell (VictoriaPL)
    The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (sturlington)
    I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley (BookshelfMonstrosity)

English (218)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All (223)
It actually kept me guessing! Quick, enjoyable read with fun, quirky characters and a twist I didn't see coming. ( )
  JenW1 | Apr 19, 2017 |
I wanted to love this series, I really did. It is so beloved by so many people who have such great taste in books. However, after not one but two tries several years apart I still could not understand why people like Three Pines and Inspector Gamache so much. The writing was so slow, which I understand IS an issue with this particular book, and is why I tried a second time to "power on" in the hopes of getting to something better. I did not get to that place, and unfortunately ended up putting this book down a second time and crossing this series off my TBR list for good :-( ( )
  lexxa83 | Apr 6, 2017 |
A fascinating, fun read which introduced me to Inspector Gamache and the residents of Three Pines, each of which is unique and special. The writing is good and often very funny. I'm going to start the second in the series immediately. This series is definitely a mystery series find. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Mar 1, 2017 |
A very satisfying detective mystery - set in the Canadian village of Three Pines, south of Montreal. We follow the story through the thoughts & viewpt of an intrepid, careful detective protagonist - Chief Inspector Armand Gamache. What makes it even more fun is a writer who knows how to carefully weave threads of characterization and plot developments to heighten the reader's curiosity, notice the everyday details of people's lives, even leaven the drudgery of the police investigation with bits of humor, but also build a sense of dread - it is a murder mystery! Amazon Kindle edition says: "Jane Neal, a local fixture in the tiny hamlet of Three Pines, just north of the U.S. border, has been found dead in the woods. The locals are certain it's a tragic hunting accident and nothing more, but Gamache smells something foul in these remote woods, and is soon certain that Jane Neal died at the hands of someone much more sinister than a careless bowhunter.
Still Life introduces not only an engaging series hero in Inspector Gamache, who commands his forces---and this series---with integrity and quiet courage, but also a winning and talented new writer of traditional mysteries in the person of Louise Penny." Oh yes - I will be reading A Great Reckoning, the next in the series. Wouldn't miss it! ( )
  BDartnall | Feb 13, 2017 |
Edited on 4/29/15 I've read all the books in this series and I just read this one again for my book club, this time on audio. I think I enjoyed it even more the second time around. It was great to revisit these much-loved characters now that I know what I know about them. The narrator, the incomparable Ralph Cosham, brought the characters to life. He will be greatly missed

Original review: This was the author’s debut novel, the first in a series set in Quebec, featuring Chief Inspector Armand Gamache.

The mystery takes a back seat to setting the stage with the characters and the village. Gamache is a likable man, a kind and introspective deep thinker. There is wit and wisdom throughout the book, with much insight into human nature. It’s slow-paced and the mystery and resolution weren’t quite as gripping as I would have preferred, but because it is so well-written and the characters so compelling, I’ve bumped my rating up to 4 stars and will continue with the series. I appreciated the double meaning of the title.

All in all, it was a pleasant way to spend a long plane ride.
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
The beauty of Louise Penny’s auspicious debut novel, STILL LIFE, is that it’s composed entirely of grace notes, all related to the central mystery of who shot an arrow into the heart of Miss Jane Neal,...

Louise Pennyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Salminen, RaimoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stumpf, AndreaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tse, EdwinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werbeck, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is given, along with all my heart, to Michael
Miss Jane Neal met her maker in the early morning mist of Thanksgiving Sunday.
She also felt a stirring that suggested she didn't actually like her son. Love, yes. Well, probably. But like?
Evil is unspectacular and always human, and shares our bed and eats at our own table. (From the third verse of 'Herman Melville' by W. H. Auden, quoted by Jane Neal in chapter one)
Every year the hunters shot cows and horses and family pets and each other. And, unbelievably, they sometimes shot themselves, perhaps in a psychotic episode where they mistook themselves for dinner. It was a wise person who knew that some hunters -- not all, but some -- found it challenging to distinguish a pine from a partridge from a person. (Chapter 1)
[Gamache is talking with Myrna Landers]

'The funny thing about murder is that the act is often committed decades before the actual action. Something happens, and it leads, inexorably, to death many years later. A bad seed is planted. It's like those old horror films from the Hammer studios, of the monster, not running, never running, but walking without pause, without thought or mercy, toward its victim. Murder is often like that. It starts way far off.' (chapter 7)

Winner of the New Blood Dagger, Arthur Ellis, Barry, Anthony, and Dilys awards.

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the Surêté du Québec and his team of investigators are called in to the scene of a suspicious death in a rural village south of Montreal. Jane Neal, a local fixture in the tiny hamlet of Three Pines, just north of the U.S. border, has been found dead in the woods. The locals are certain it’s a tragic hunting accident and nothing more, but Gamache smells something foul in these remote woods, and is soon certain that Jane Neal died at the hands of someone much more sinister than a careless bowhunter.

Still Life
introduces not only an engaging series hero in Inspector Gamache, who commands his forces--and this series--with integrity and quiet courage, but also a winning and talented new writer of traditional mysteries in the person of Louise Penny.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:00 -0400)

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the S?urete du Quebec and his team of investigators are called in to the scene of a suspicious death in a rural village south of Montreal. Jane Neal, a local fixture in the tiny hamlet of Three Pines, just north of the U.S. border, has been found dead in the woods. The locals are certain it's a tragic hunting accident and nothing more, but Gamache smells something foul in these remote woods, and is soon certain that Jane Neal died at the hands of someone much more sinister than a careless bowhunter.--From publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,900,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible