Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache…

Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache Mysteries, No. 1) (original 2005; edition 2008)

by Louise Penny

2,8551942,033 (3.86)613
Member:joannacawley
Title:Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache Mysteries, No. 1)
Authors:Louise Penny
Info:Minotaur Books (2008), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:Canadian procedural

Still Life by Louise Penny (2005)

The No. 1 Ladiesʼ Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: The first of another fun mystery series: a lovable detective and an entertaining group of supporting characters, all against a lively African backdrop!
    Raven Black by Ann Cleeves (y2pk)
    y2pk: Inspector Jimmy Perez investigates murder in a small isolated community located on the Shetland Islands of Northern Scotland.
    Thus Was Adonis Murdered by Sarah Caudwell (wandering_star)
    wandering_star: Both these mystery series are excellent examples of the quirky/cosy end of the spectrum, with extremely engaging characters, an ironic wit and good twisty mysteries.
    The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (sturlington)
    sturlington: Cozy mysteries set in villages.
    I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Bone by Bone by Carol O'Connell (VictoriaPL)

English (189)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (194)
I started reading Louise Penny books by accident. I really like this particular series. One thing that is especially good is that she keeps the same characters in the little town of Three Pines, so you really get to know them and care about them or hate them. The books are best read in order but can be stand alone. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Books like this are why I love to read. A month ago, I had never heard the names Louise Penny or Armand Gamache. Yet now, I've stumbled into a whole new world; I have a new setting & cast of characters to become acquainted with; even though I should be falling asleep, I'm so excited about it I can't wait to write a quick review & share this with my book-reading friends; & when I'm done, I'll add all other books of this series to my TBR list. All this from 300 pages.

I love mysteries, but I'd never understood the label of a "cozy mystery" - until now. Mystery novels almost always include murder, & there's nothing really cozy about that. Yet the tone that Louise Penny sets with every single word of this fantastic debut novel is exactly that: cozy. I want to live a quaint village life in Three Pines (even after there's been a murder there). I want to discuss the case with M. Gamache in front of a fireplace. And I want to wrap myself up in the next few novels immediately & completely. The hunt is still on - the suspects are on the loose. But there will be time to think it over, to consider all the angles with Gamache. And that is a refreshing take on the mystery novel for me.

Penny has created an intriguing main character in Armand Gamache. You can see & hear him, so vivid are her descriptions of his words & deeds. The team around him is handled just as masterfully, & you will want to know who's around during the next book. You even want to know more about Nichol, who goes from promising young officer to dismal square peg in 10 days... yet you still want redemption for her.

Perhaps the best part of this reading experience is how it came to be: I picked up a book from my friends' Little Free Library, not realizing there was a whole series of books preceding it. So to make sure I wasn't missing out, I picked up the first of the series - Still Life - to see if I wanted to stick around until Book #6. And I whole-heartedly do.

I can't say it enough: this is why I love to read. Open up this book & enjoy it for yourself.

1 vote LauraCerone | May 26, 2016 |
I love the series, great read. ( )
  Baochuan | May 10, 2016 |
It was a good read,maybe will read the next in series after some time :)

Liked the characters and art touch in the story, Loved Gamache.. But at some places i felt as the author included the fearful thoughts of the main characters to confuse the reader. It just muddled up than confusing, but it was good :) ( )
  PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |
I like this style of mystery, "the cozy." You are settled into a place, get to know it's people, the bonds, the sense of why these people came together, especially in such a small, almost isolated village in cold, cold Canada. The contrast between the harsh climate of the area and the warm regards among the villagers is stark. The motivations for characters actions is revealing, not giving excuses for their actions, but kindly or forcibly told with compassion.
Despite the very deep contrast of climate - I am definitely a warm weather person, I find myself drawn to this little village and its main characters and find I think I would be very comfortable living there.
So, to the mystery, it is all built around the artists in the area and their personalities, insights, history, that help Gamache and team to reach a conclusion.
As the first in her Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series, one must give the writer some leniency for detailed character exposition as she is laying foundation, not just for the mystery, but also for the series. ( )
  CathyWoolbright | Apr 20, 2016 |
The beauty of Louise Penny’s auspicious debut novel, STILL LIFE, is that it’s composed entirely of grace notes, all related to the central mystery of who shot an arrow into the heart of Miss Jane Neal,...

Louise Pennyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Saint-Germain, MichelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salminen, RaimoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stumpf, AndreaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werbeck, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is given, along with all my heart, to Michael
Miss Jane Neal met her maker in the early morning mist of Thanksgiving Sunday.
She also felt a stirring that suggested she didn't actually like her son. Love, yes. Well, probably. But like?
Evil is unspectacular and always human, and shares our bed and eats at our own table.

Winner of the New Blood Dagger, Arthur Ellis, Barry, Anthony, and Dilys awards.

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the Surêté du Québec and his team of investigators are called in to the scene of a suspicious death in a rural village south of Montreal. Jane Neal, a local fixture in the tiny hamlet of Three Pines, just north of the U.S. border, has been found dead in the woods. The locals are certain it’s a tragic hunting accident and nothing more, but Gamache smells something foul in these remote woods, and is soon certain that Jane Neal died at the hands of someone much more sinister than a careless bowhunter.

Still Life
introduces not only an engaging series hero in Inspector Gamache, who commands his forces--and this series--with integrity and quiet courage, but also a winning and talented new writer of traditional mysteries in the person of Louise Penny.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:00 -0400)

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the S?urete du Quebec and his team of investigators are called in to the scene of a suspicious death in a rural village south of Montreal. Jane Neal, a local fixture in the tiny hamlet of Three Pines, just north of the U.S. border, has been found dead in the woods. The locals are certain it's a tragic hunting accident and nothing more, but Gamache smells something foul in these remote woods, and is soon certain that Jane Neal died at the hands of someone much more sinister than a careless bowhunter.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,002,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible