Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache…

Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache Mysteries, No. 1) (original 2005; edition 2008)

by Louise Penny

Member:bogopea
Title:Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache Mysteries, No. 1)
Authors:Louise Penny
Info:Minotaur Books (2008), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:My Book Reviews
Rating:*****
Tags:mystery, gamache, novel

Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache Mysteries, No. 1) by Louise Penny (2005)

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (Book 1) by Alexander McCall Smith (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: The first of another fun mystery series: a lovable detective and an entertaining group of supporting characters, all against a lively African backdrop!
    Raven Black by Ann Cleeves (y2pk)
    y2pk: Inspector Jimmy Perez investigates murder in a small isolated community located on the Shetland Islands of Northern Scotland.
    Thus Was Adonis Murdered by Sarah Caudwell (wandering_star)
    wandering_star: Both these mystery series are excellent examples of the quirky/cosy end of the spectrum, with extremely engaging characters, an ironic wit and good twisty mysteries.
    The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (sturlington)
    sturlington: Cozy mysteries set in villages.
    I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Bone by Bone by Carol O'Connell (VictoriaPL)

English (164)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (169)
This book is first in a series. Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the Surete du Quebec and his team are called to Three Pines, a rural village south of Montreal, to investigate the death of a well liked elderly woman. She had been found on a wooded walking path shot through the heart. It is up to the inspector to determine if it was a hunting accident, or was it murder. There is a lively cast of characters (some of them rather odd caricatures) and a fairly good story with a rushed ending. I really liked the character of Inspector Gamache and the descriptions of the town and the surroundings. The reader was very good, and I would listen to him again.

May 2014 ( )
  NanaCC | Jul 26, 2015 |
A nice introduction to a seemingly quiet Quebec village. A swell cast of characters. Sometimes overly heartwarming. Hurrah for Minotaur Press! ( )
  PavelGromnic | Jul 25, 2015 |
The first of the Inspector Gamache novels, I found it to be very interesting. The author takes the time to introduce each character and slowly develop them. Inspector Gamache was just awesome. I have known people like him, as I'm sure most of us have. The older, experienced, and brilliant man who takes on an apprentice to share his knowledge with, but eventually loses patience with after they are slow to catch on.
Gamache has his team assembled, people he has obviously worked with for some time and trusts to do things, often times without having to be told. Gamache's strength lies in his attention to detail, a trait lacking in so many individuals. He not only notices the minute details, but also notices things that are missing. Gamache is a great character, who I liked more as the story unfolded.
There is some degree of humor throughout the novel, most of it involving the quirky characters. I often found myself laughing when I recognized an action that reminded me of someone I knew. The only thing that keeps me from giving this five stars is the ending. I found the motive to be weak and was amazed the suspect would resort to murder over such a thing. However, the characters are quirky as I have said, so maybe it's not such a stretch after all. All things considered, it was a excellent book and well worth the time if you enjoy a good mystery. ( )
  NPJacobsen | Jun 19, 2015 |
Audiobook: I almost quit listening to this book right in the beginning. I wasn’t sure where it was going, but the quality of the writing was much better than average so I kept on. Good thing. It’s a very interesting book, although I must say I didn’t care much for Gamache’s treatment of his new team member, Nicole. It appeared that he was only interested in a lackey at the feet of the master, rather than an independent thinker, a quality he called arrogant. But that’s OK, one doesn’t have to like the characters.

You can read summaries of the plot all over the place; no need to be redundant here. I liked the use of the painting providing clues and being at the heart of the dead artist’s relationship to the community. Some interesting details of archery and painting and a nice start to a series that I will certainly follow.

Not to mention fun details of Quebecois tensions with regard the “English.” “Quebec works in reality, just not on paper.” That was the response to a character complaining about the loss of rights to the English who live in Quebec, the French seemingly running the show. ( )
  ecw0647 | May 27, 2015 |
A murder happens "off camera" (elderly woman killed by hunting arrow). Sequestered village life is lovingly evoked. Meals, flowers and furnishings are described with care. In other words, this is a cozy. While all the conventions (or cliches...) are here, it's also as well written and realized as I'd heard. Chief Inspector Gamache and his team are acquaintances worth having, and Penny's insight into behavior--even a grieving dog--is excellent (despite some lame "gay humor").

"'Most...people are very immature. They lead "still" lives, waiting.'
'Waiting for what?'
'Waiting for someone to save them.'" ( )
  beaujoe | May 8, 2015 |
The beauty of Louise Penny’s auspicious debut novel, STILL LIFE, is that it’s composed entirely of grace notes, all related to the central mystery of who shot an arrow into the heart of Miss Jane Neal,...

Louise Pennyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Saint-Germain, MichelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salminen, RaimoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stumpf, AndreaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werbeck, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is given, along with all my heart, to Michael
Miss Jane Neal met her maker in the early morning mist of Thanksgiving Sunday.
She also felt a stirring that suggested she didn't actually like her son. Love, yes. Well, probably. But like?
Evil is unspectacular and always human, and shares our bed and eats at our own table.

Winner of the New Blood Dagger, Arthur Ellis, Barry, Anthony, and Dilys awards.

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the Surêté du Québec and his team of investigators are called in to the scene of a suspicious death in a rural village south of Montreal. Jane Neal, a local fixture in the tiny hamlet of Three Pines, just north of the U.S. border, has been found dead in the woods. The locals are certain it’s a tragic hunting accident and nothing more, but Gamache smells something foul in these remote woods, and is soon certain that Jane Neal died at the hands of someone much more sinister than a careless bowhunter.

Still Life
introduces not only an engaging series hero in Inspector Gamache, who commands his forces--and this series--with integrity and quiet courage, but also a winning and talented new writer of traditional mysteries in the person of Louise Penny.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:00 -0400)

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the S?urete du Quebec and his team of investigators are called in to the scene of a suspicious death in a rural village south of Montreal. Jane Neal, a local fixture in the tiny hamlet of Three Pines, just north of the U.S. border, has been found dead in the woods. The locals are certain it's a tragic hunting accident and nothing more, but Gamache smells something foul in these remote woods, and is soon certain that Jane Neal died at the hands of someone much more sinister than a careless bowhunter.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,482,251 books! | Top bar: Always visible