Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache…

Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache Mysteries, No. 1) (original 2005; edition 2008)

by Louise Penny

Member:heidilach
Title:Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache Mysteries, No. 1)
Authors:Louise Penny
Info:Minotaur Books (2008), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:kindle, SantaThing, gamache 1, 2013, mystery, 2014

Still Life by Louise Penny (2005)

The No. 1 Ladiesʼ Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: The first of another fun mystery series: a lovable detective and an entertaining group of supporting characters, all against a lively African backdrop!
    Raven Black by Ann Cleeves (y2pk)
    y2pk: Inspector Jimmy Perez investigates murder in a small isolated community located on the Shetland Islands of Northern Scotland.
    Thus Was Adonis Murdered by Sarah Caudwell (wandering_star)
    wandering_star: Both these mystery series are excellent examples of the quirky/cosy end of the spectrum, with extremely engaging characters, an ironic wit and good twisty mysteries.
    The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (sturlington)
    sturlington: Cozy mysteries set in villages.
    I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Bone by Bone by Carol O'Connell (VictoriaPL)

English (180)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (185)
Love her writing style -- terrific characters and dialogue! Highly recommend this one, and I'll be on the lookout for her other books, as well. ( )
  Gingermama | Jan 24, 2016 |
In a sleepy town in Quebec named Three Pines, a much-loved elderly woman is found dead, an arrow wound in her chest. Chief Inspector Armand Gamache is called in to investigate Jane Neal’s death, which is ruled as suspicious but not necessarily homicide. Everyone in Three Pines is sure it was a hunting accident. But Gamache isn’t convinced. He begins digging into the lives of those related to Jane Neal, her friends and family. He uncovers many complex relationships, some stretching back decades, and all somehow contributing to Jane's death. The novel follows the progress of the investigation.

The setting is gorgeous and beautifully brought to life. I really enjoyed Inspector Gamache who is descried as "unhurried, unperturbed, unstoppable." The characters are interesting and seemed very realistic. The pace of the book seemed very slow in the beginning but as we near the conclusion, picks up quite a bit at that point until the identity of the murderer is revealed. I thought it was a very enjoyable read and I would definitely continue the series. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
From the book jacket: Chief Inspector Armand Gamache and his team of investigators are called to the scene of a suspicious death in a rural village south of Montreal. Jean Neal, a local fixture in the tiny hamlet of Three Pines, has been found dead in the woods on Thanksgiving morning. The locals are certain it’s a tragic hunting accident, … but Gamach smells something foul …

My reactions
This is the first in a series of mysteries featuring Chief Inspector Gamache. I’ve heard much about this series and have several friends who are devoted fans, but I thought it took a very long time to take off. There was very little action, and a lot of time spent on exploring the relationships among the residents of Three Pines, and the investigative team members. There were several twists and turns in the plot and I was definitely kept guessing. Even so, the reveal felt anti-climatic.

I’ll give the series another try, mostly on the strength of my friends’ recommendations. It wasn’t a bad book, but it didn’t grab me as I expect mysteries to do. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jan 14, 2016 |
To say that I started reading this book with low expectations is an understatement. I had downloaded a sample from Amazon, so I knew that the writing was uninspired but probably not bad enough to prevent me from reading it. Usually I would stop there, but since so many people seem to love this series, I finally decided after much hesitation to give it a try and see whether the character development made up for the pedestrian style. Under these circumstances, it's probably a small miracle that I actually managed to read the book, and even enjoyed it a little. But I must say I expected more from the characters. They never really came to life for me, though Clara and Peter came close to it, and Ruth was also interesting. Gamache and his team were a disappointment. Maybe it gets better with the following books. I probably won't find out. But I think I can sort of see the appeal of this book for people who like "cozy mysteries". ( )
  FlorenceArt | Dec 28, 2015 |
A cozy Canadian village is rocked by the discovery of a local's body in the woods. Chief Inspector Armand Gamache and his team descend upon Three Pines, Quebec to determine if the death was accidental or homicide. As the clues mount, Gamache reveals even small towns have dark secrets buried in their past. Penny adds a Canadian flare to this almost-cozy police procedural starring Gamache but involving an interesting cast of townsfolk and secondary investigators. Penny's deft and graceful hand with language makes her Three Pines series a stand-out, and a favorite amongst Naper Blvd. Adult Services staff.
  ktoonen | Dec 27, 2015 |
The beauty of Louise Penny’s auspicious debut novel, STILL LIFE, is that it’s composed entirely of grace notes, all related to the central mystery of who shot an arrow into the heart of Miss Jane Neal,...

Louise Pennyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Saint-Germain, MichelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salminen, RaimoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stumpf, AndreaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werbeck, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is given, along with all my heart, to Michael
Miss Jane Neal met her maker in the early morning mist of Thanksgiving Sunday.
She also felt a stirring that suggested she didn't actually like her son. Love, yes. Well, probably. But like?
Evil is unspectacular and always human, and shares our bed and eats at our own table.

Winner of the New Blood Dagger, Arthur Ellis, Barry, Anthony, and Dilys awards.

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the Surêté du Québec and his team of investigators are called in to the scene of a suspicious death in a rural village south of Montreal. Jane Neal, a local fixture in the tiny hamlet of Three Pines, just north of the U.S. border, has been found dead in the woods. The locals are certain it’s a tragic hunting accident and nothing more, but Gamache smells something foul in these remote woods, and is soon certain that Jane Neal died at the hands of someone much more sinister than a careless bowhunter.

Still Life
introduces not only an engaging series hero in Inspector Gamache, who commands his forces--and this series--with integrity and quiet courage, but also a winning and talented new writer of traditional mysteries in the person of Louise Penny.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:00 -0400)

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the S?urete du Quebec and his team of investigators are called in to the scene of a suspicious death in a rural village south of Montreal. Jane Neal, a local fixture in the tiny hamlet of Three Pines, just north of the U.S. border, has been found dead in the woods. The locals are certain it's a tragic hunting accident and nothing more, but Gamache smells something foul in these remote woods, and is soon certain that Jane Neal died at the hands of someone much more sinister than a careless bowhunter.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,084,335 books! | Top bar: Always visible