Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache…

Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache Mysteries, No. 1) (original 2005; edition 2008)

by Louise Penny, Ralph Cosham (Narrator)

2,9822041,914 (3.86)623
Member:BALE
Title:Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache Mysteries, No. 1)
Authors:Louise Penny
Other authors:Ralph Cosham (Narrator)
Info:Blackstone Audio, Inc., 8 discs, 9 1/2 hours.
Collections:Read, Audio Book
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Mystery

Still Life by Louise Penny (2005)

Recently added byRena37, obsessedbybooks, seitherin, private library, BuddyTay, penelope757, sebago, mportly
    The No. 1 Ladiesʼ Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: The first of another fun mystery series: a lovable detective and an entertaining group of supporting characters, all against a lively African backdrop!
    Raven Black by Ann Cleeves (y2pk)
    y2pk: Inspector Jimmy Perez investigates murder in a small isolated community located on the Shetland Islands of Northern Scotland.
    Thus Was Adonis Murdered by Sarah Caudwell (wandering_star)
    wandering_star: Both these mystery series are excellent examples of the quirky/cosy end of the spectrum, with extremely engaging characters, an ironic wit and good twisty mysteries.
    The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (sturlington)
    sturlington: Cozy mysteries set in villages.
    I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Bone by Bone by Carol O'Connell (VictoriaPL)

English (199)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (204)
Highly recommend this first of a series mystery set in Quebec. It will entice readers to get the next one and the next. ( )
  smcronin | Sep 18, 2016 |
From: Goodreads
Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the Sûreté du Québec digs beneath the idyllic surface of village life in Three Pines, finding long buried secrets--and facing a few of his own ghosts. Louise Penny's highly acclaimed, New York Times bestselling mystery series has won the New Blood Dagger as well as multiple Agatha, Anthony, Dilys, Arthur Ellis, and other prestigious awards. In 2010 the first book, Still Life, was cited as one of the five Mystery/Crime Novels of the Decade by Deadly Pleasures magazine.

" I wouldn't hesitate to start someone with say, Louise Penny's The Beautiful Mystery, despite the long back story. It hints at past stories that will intrigue the reader and indirectly impact the actions of the characters, but one could read it and enjoy/understand the current story without having the history. " (less) ( )
  GailL | Sep 7, 2016 |
A group of friends gather on the Canadian Thanksgiving to share dinner together. Talk turns to the fact that one of their group, Jane, has had her painting accepted for showing at the local art event. Her friends are very excited for her, and also excited because for the first time, Jane will be opening her home to her friends. Then Jane is found dead in the woods. Chief Inspector Gamache and his team from the Surete du Quebec must determine if Jane's death was accidental or intentional, and by whom.

There's plenty of Autumn weather here, so it's a good choice for the season. There are also many suspects and motives, so it's a good mystery with a highly likable detective in Gamache. It took some time, but I really disliked the characters of Clara and Peter, a married couple who are equally annoying. Clara is spineless and weepy, while Peter gets angry at her for having a few moments out of his sight and then makes her grovel for forgiveness. That won't stop me from continuing with the series as the other citizens of Three Pines are more interesting. ( )
  mstrust | Sep 5, 2016 |
The Armand Gamache series was recommended to me by one of the assistants at my local library, so I was able to start with book one, Still Life, instead of trying out something from the new books shelves and then reading earlier entries.

There's been an unexpected death in the village of Three Pines, a place normally so quiet and safe that (as we're told in the first chapter), the only reason the inhabitants ever lock their doors is to prevent neighbors '...from dropping off baskets of zucchini at harvest time.'

NOTES (pop culture references, fictional and real name-dropping, character facts, and non-spoiler tips to help those who've read the book find things again):

I thank my January 1989 first printing of the second edition of The Bantam New College French & English Dictionary for helping me with the words my late 1960s schoolgirl French couldn't translate, and http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/french-english/ for words not in my dictionary.

Chapter 1:

a. Some of Clara Morrow's art pieces are described.

b. The Morrow's basement is compared to Walt Disney's workshop.

c. Clara has lived in Three Pines for 25 years.

d. The title of the painting Jean Neal is letting the gallery of Arts Williamsburg show is 'Fair Day'. It was unwrapped the Friday before Thanksgiving.

e. Mon Dieu = My God.

f. D'accord = Agreed.

g. One of the meanings of vernissage is 'a private viewing (of pictures)'.

h. There's a Narnia reference.

i. Dégueulasse = Disgusting.

j. There's a W. H. Auden reference as well as one for Denzel Washington.

k. Olivier and Gabri have been living in Three Pines for 12 years. Oliver makes a revelation about his childhood in Montréal.

l. An Oscar Wilde reference leads to a discussion.

m. There's an argument about Le Sieur canned peas. (If by that they mean Le Sueur, I agree with Olivier.)

n. Jane is quoting from William Auden's 'Herman Melville'. http://www.davidlavery.net/Courses/Moby-Dick/Auden_Melville.htm

Chapter 2:

a. Armand and Reine-Marie have been married 32 years. There is a description of her character here. Her name translates to 'Queen-Mary'.

b. We are introduced to Agent Yvette Nichol, whom I cannot help suspecting might have at least mild or moderate Asperger's Syndrome -- unless she's just spoiled, self-absorbed, literal, and rude. She does seem to have some idea of good manners, but is apparently clueless in many social situations -- somewhere between Amy and Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory.

c. We also learn about Agent Nichol's family history (they came from Czechoslovakia -- whether in what is now the Czech Republic or the Slovak Republic/Slovakia is not stated), and the failure of her Uncle Saul.

d. Merci = thank you

e. Au revoir = good-bye (until we meet again).

f. Inspector Jean Guy Beauvoir is the alpha dog and Chief Inspector Gamache is the Master of the Hunt.

g. Gamache is described as he appears to Ben Hadley.

h. The chapel is named St. Thomas.

i. 'Praise, My Soul, the King of Heaven'

Chapter 3:

a. There's a bit of description about Three Pines' common, as well as Jane Neal and the Morrows' houses.. (The Morrows have Yogi Tea, Harmony Herbal Blend, chamomile, and Earl Grey, described as the opiate of the Anglos.

b. Depanneur = serviceman, repairman, tow truck, wrecker. (The repair sop has a Pepsi sign that reads 'Beliveau'

c. Boulangerie = bakery

d. Gamache attended Christ's College, Cambridge.

e. There's a bit of history about the Montréal mansions that could be called 'Victorian piles.' The last sentence, involving McGill University, made me chuckle.

f. Gamache and Ben Hadley discuss what might happen to English-speaking inhabitants of Québec should that province separate from the rest of Canada.

g. Ruth Zardo tells Gamache about the man Jane Neal almost married. He was a lumberjack.

h. A Rolodex is (the adjective used for the elderly Mrs. Zardo's mental one was apt).

i. The Inspector Clouseau Mrs. Zardo calls Gamache is a fictional character from

f. The Lands End catalog reference is spelled 'catalogue' because Canada still uses the British spelling that the USA changed during the first half of the 20th century.

g. Gamache had skied down the mountain behind the village of St Rémy when his children were young.

h. The time, '1:15,' is typed as '1.15' because that's the British way. That's the same reason the dialogue is surrounded by apostrophes instead of quotation marks.

i. According to Wikipedia, sacres (singular, sacre are '...words and expressions related to Catholicism and its liturgy which are used as strong profanities in Quebec French or joual, the main language variety of Canadian French, and to a lesser degree in Acadian French spoken in Maritime Provinces east of Quebec.' How strong? They're considered stronger than the usual French foul language. At least Yolande Fontaine said Tabernacle rather than Tabarnak, which is the strongest form of that sacre. It appears to be the equivalent of our F-word.

j. There's an All Star Wrestling reference that made me smile.

k. Gamache's mother first called her hairdresser to cancel her appointment when she woke up to find her husband had died in their bed. They'd been married for 50 years.

l. The expression that Olivier is shortening to describe Yolande and her relationship to her Aunt Jane is 'blood is thicker than water'.

m. Gamache first learns that no one, not even Clara or Miss Neal's best friend Timmer, was allowed in her house beyond the mudroom and the kitchen.

n. A mudroom is

o. Gamache and his wife sporadically attend Notre Dame de Bon Secours (Our Lady of Good Help/Aid) church. He is reminded of its image of St. Sebastien.

p. Unlike most Sûreté leaders, Gamache believes in cooperation, not competition, within his team. He also believes that a good leader is also a good follower. He rewards team players. His record for solving murders is almost perfect. He's held his present rank for 12 years and is a happy man.

q. The old schoolhouse, owned by the Hadleys, is used by the Archery Club.

r. There's a reference to the musical, 'Cats'.

s. 'Kitty-corner' is a corruption of 'catty-corner,' which is a corruption of 'cater-corner,' meaning to be diagonally opposite a person or thing.

t. There's a Gloria Swanson reference. (Gabri resembles Gamache's grandmother more than a little.)

u. There's a short list of some previous places Gamache and Beauvoir have stayed during their investigations.

v. Gamache tells Reine-Marie everything and has for 35 years (they went together for 3 years before they were married? See chapter 2.)

w. There's a reference to Orlando by Virginia Woolf.

Chapter 4:

a. Yolande Fontaine's husband, André Malenfant, has earned 5 drunk and disorderly, two assault, and two breaking and entering charges during his 37 years of life. He's been incarcerated at Bordeaux twice and spent many nights in the local lock-up (jail).

b. Yolande's 14-yr-old son, Bernard Malenfant, appears to be like his father, although he's had only a couple of stern talkings to rather than charges brought against him so far.

c. Gamache has a talk with Agent Nichol. He gives her good advice about being a trainee. (She doesn't listen to the weak inner voice that tells her she'd stop blushing if she'd stop pretending.)

d. Gamache forgets the last of four sentences he tells Agent Nichol that we learn and say.

e. There's a Joy of Cooking reference.

f. Unlike other characters so far, Matthew Croft speaks of being raised, not reared. (Animals, plants, and objects are raised. Children are reared.)

g. Three grocery stores are named.

h. Gamache learns about different types of bows and arrows.

Chapter 5:

a. The Archery Club interior is described.

b. Agent Lacoste believes in Jesus' golden rule about doing unto others as you would have others do unto you.

c. This is where you'll find Clara Marrow's joke about a gummy bear named Ramon.

d. Look here for Ruth Zardo's future poem, 'I'm FINE' and the incident between Clara and Yolande that inspires it.

e. Beauvoir sees Gamache's desire to help others rather than fire them as a fatal flaw. (Too bad Gamache is going to thoroughly screw up helping Agent Nichol, whom they discuss.)

f. Here is where we learn that 'Timmer' was Constance Post Hadley's nickname.

g. The Arts Williamsburg gallery interior is described.

h. Agent Nichol rolls her eyes at an inappropriate moment.

i. There's a reference to Tim Horton's Double double coffee.

j. Timmer Hadley's cancer and the day she died are discussed.

k. On the other hand, Gamache tells Agent Nichol what she did that was rude and she still thinks she merely had the courage to say what everyone was thinking.

l. We learn what Jane Neal had painted Ruth Zardo as in 'Fair Day'. Clara notices something about the painting.

Chapter 6:

a. We learn what Gamache feels about other persons' homes.

b. Agent Nichol is twice clueless. The first time Gamache handles well enough that Agent Nichol grudgingly gives the correct response. The second time he fails to tell her how her attempt to do the correct thing as far as good manners go sabotaged his and Beauvoir's efforts, so she doesn't understand anything other than that he's angry that she disobeyed him.

c. Diane Croft is said to be home of her friend, Nina Levesque.

d. Peter finds out why Clara spoke to Yolande even though she knew Yolande wouldn't be polite.

Chapter 7:

a. There's a reference to Dr. Vincent Gilbert and his book, Being. Brother Albert Mailloux and his work with adult Down's syndrome patients of both sexes at 'La Porte' are also mentioned as part of the book.

b. Gamache remembers his daughter, Annie's, report on beans when she was in first grade.

c. The interior of Myrna's book shop is described.

d. Myrna shows Gamache Brother Albert's book, Loss and talks about it as well as her former career, which she had been in for 25 years. (So, is it no coincidence that Myrna shares her last name with a real-life newspaper advice columnist?)

e. We get another meaning for this book's title.

f. Gamache quotes Cassius to Brutus about where the fault lies from Act one, Scene two, of Shakespeare's 'Julius Caesar.'

g. Myrna tells Gamache about a photo of Jane and her parents taken when Jane was 16 or 17, which Timmer Hadley had shown her. She tells Gamache Mrs. Hadley's opinion of Mr. & Mrs. Neal, but not something else she was told.

h. Gamache compares murder to the monsters in the old Hammer horror films.

i. Myrna talks about something cruel she did as a child. Gamache responds with Oscar Wilde's quotation about the only sin, then confesses something about his work.

j. Myrna calling Gamache 'Grasshopper' is probably a reference to that old David Carradine hit TV series, 'Kung Fu'.

k. Dr. Sharon Harris, the coroner, tells Gamache about the Morrows' art. A little later in the chapter we learn more about Clara's education background and her intuitive art.

l. Gamache suffers from the horror of vertigo.

m. There's a reference to The Boys' Big Book of Hunting.

n. There's a reference to Wnnie the Pooh and the Heffalump.

o. Jane Neal used to hum 'What Do You Do With a Drunken Sailor?'

p. We find out what Clara Morrow thinks God's first question to her would be.

q. Gamache quotes John Donne and Clara quotes Ruth Zardo.

r. Clara tells Gamache about Jane's Queen of Hearts game, played with Yolande when she was a child.

s. Peter and Ben met at Abbot's, a private boys school near Lennoxville. They were seven years old, the youngest boys there.

t. Gamache's first chief, Inspector Comeau, used to quote Matthew chapter Ten, verse Thirty-six.

g. Agent Nichol is desperate to dress correctly for the occasion.

h. Sigh. Gamache does ask Agent Nichol something that shows he has some understanding of her problem, but again, he failed to tell her why her attempt to be nice botched what he and his second were trying to do. On the other hand, Agent Nichol is so desperate not to be wrong, ever, I'm not sure if he could have cracked her shielding by telling her that before telling her we learn from our mistakes. I wish he had emphasized that EVERYONE is wrong sometimes. Only God is perfect, we humans don't have to be. In fact, trying to be perfect and refusing to admit one was wrong are excellent ways to lose others' respect, let alone get them to like one.

Chapter 8:

a. Ruth Zardo makes two puns, one involving the Village People and the other 'bags'.

b. There are references to Maison du Chocolat Marielle in St Rémy. Licorice Allsorts, St. André's cheese, Joe Louis [Jos. Louis] cakes, and Lune Moons. http://www.vachon.com/en/pastries/jos-louis/ http://www.vachon.com/en/pastries/small-cakes/

c. Ruth brought Tanqueray gin, Martini & Rossi vermouth, and Glenfiddich Scotch, even though great poetry doesn't pay the bills, as Clara thinks.

d. The Morrows' bookcases' contents and Clara's taste in murder mysteries are described, as well as what Myrna thinks of a person's bookcase and grocery cart contents. (Does she keep in mind that someone may keep gift or inherited books s/he would never have chosen for sentimental reasons or might be buying foods that a family member likes s/he would have to be forced to eat?)

e. Ruth's 'I'm obnoxious and disliked --' and Myrna's 'I hadn't heard' come from the 'But Mr. Adams' song in the '1776' musical. I highly recommend watching the movie version of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElQ-HyMHCbc

f. Clara learns a fact about Matthew Croft's father.

g. There's a reference to Auden's Christmas Oratorio. Also one to NSYNC.

h. Gamache is slightly overweight. We learn a worry Beauvoir has about his chief. (I note the use of 'snuck' instead of the proper 'sneaked'.) Also, Beauvoir hates Gamache's political correctness.

i. Gamache and Beauvoir discuss Agent Nichol. Then she makes a move that cannot be considered well-intentioned, if inopportunely applied.

j. All Quiet On the Western Front is a classic novel about World War I written by a German veteran. It was made into a classic movie. Gamache's thought about the title goes well with the report he's hearing.

Chapter 9:

a. Mathew Croft remembers his mother-in-law Marthe's question about cucumbers.

b. Suzanne keeps repeating the opening lines to 'Little Boy Blue,' a nursery rhyme she used to tell her son when he was small.

c. The Quebec Guardians Office is independent of the police.

d. Phillipe Croft's bedroom is described.

e. There's a reference to a past case involving a serial killer in Brossard.

f. There's a description of desk sergeant Mai LaCroix and a joke about her uniform.

g. Gamache cares for Beauvoir like a son. He learns how his second feels about him.

h. It's Jane Neal's funeral. The bells of Église Ste Marie are ringing.

i. We learn Gamache's opinion of churches (um, did he never consider that the great, cavernous ones might be akin to wanting to give one's beloved mother the best possible gift one can for Mother's Day? In Catholicism, the Church is known as 'Mother Church'. Also, one might be wanting to give the best, what one considers most fitting to the Father of Creation.)

Chapter 10:

a. Ruth Zardo talks about Jane Neal and why she sang 'Drunken Sailor'.

b. A ritual is held for Jane.

c. That 'Jolly Green Druid' description of Myrna is her green cloak might be a play on the 'Jolly Green Giant'.

d. Clara's line about being blind, but now I see, comes from 'Amazing Grace'.

e. Gamache thinks about the insecure young man he'd once been.

f. Yolande's mother's name was Irene.

g. There's a description of Yolande's living room and her personality.

Chapter 11:

a. Gamache is a lover of Quebecois heritage and architecture.

b. Jean Neal's living room is described. Beauvoir thinks he might return his lava lamp.

c. Timothy Leary is

d. We learn how Quebec antiques wound up in English Canadian homes.

e. Abby Hoffman is indirectly quoted. Beauvoir hears Gamache and wonders who Abbé Offman is.

f. Agent Nichol figuratively shoots herself in the foot.

g. Gamache quotes one of Ruth's poems to her.

h. Oh, dear. Agent Nichol thinks something about Ruth Zardo without realizing that others think the same about her.

i. Agent Nichol is being too literal. Sadly, when she tells Gamache, he laughs instead of explaining.

j. Clara's Batman remark is imitating Robin from the 1960s TV series.

k There's a reference to C.S. Lewis' Surprised by Joy and a scent called Floris. (As we learn in ch. 12, Floris eau de toiletter was Jane's one extravagance, ordered from London every year as her Christmas gift to herself.)

l. There's a Ralph Lauren joke.

m. Voyons =

n. C'est Incroyable =

o. Gabri quotes Oscar Wilde.

p. tête carrêe =

q. Clara stands up to Yolande.

Chapter 12:

a. Peter Morrow is a Golden Mile boy, a Montreal Brahmin.

b. We learn what Peter's family thinks of his career.

c. n'est-ce pas =

d. Clara has made a new art object.

e. This is where Leigh Hunt's 'Rondeau' is quoted.

f. ''S'mores' are Yes-yes' cookies are

g. There's a Julia Child reference.

h. Hurricane Kyla is mentioned as hitting land in Florida.

i. Agent Nichol does something right, then says something foolish.

Chapter 13:

a. Agent Nichol has a real Shelden moment. It costs her and she doesn't understand why.

b. Tabarouette and Tabarnouche are used as well as Tabernacle.

c. Agent Nichol's Shelden moment led someone else to a Truth.

d. Gabri shouts something at Ruth that is probably a reference to The Wizard of Oz.

e. There's a 'Harrowsmith Country Life' reference.

f. More of Auden's 'Herman Melville' is quoted.

g. There's another The Wizard of Oz reference.

h. A 'friend of Dorothy' is ( )
  JalenV | Aug 25, 2016 |
2.5 rounded down.

I had heard good things about this book so when the audio version came available at the library, I nabbed it. Unfortunately, my experience wasn't nearly as positive as many reviews had promised.

Before going into why it didn't work for me, I want to say that I enjoyed the narration. Lots of French in this book so I appreciated being able to hear proper pronunciations and a nice accent. I also found myself connecting with some of the characters and chuckling here and there or feeling some empathy for them. The mystery, itself, was sort of fun to follow. Even though I pegged the killer very early on, I didn't have much evidence. But to be fair, there wasn't much evidence to go on for that person.

Now for the things that made me groan and, at one point, move the book to my "quit but will go back" shelf. I dropped it for a couple of days but, in the end, wanted to find out why Jane had been killed.

First off, the jumping POVs drove me crazy. Some authors can make it work - I've heard JK Rowling is a head hopper with the Harry Potter series. (No, I've not read them - YET!) I don't remember it being an issue in her Robert Galbraith books or with Casual Vacancy though. Anyway, the head hopping is what ultimately made me put the book away. It still bothered me when I decided to keep going but I did my best to ignore it.

Another thing that bothered me was that some of the clues - particularly toward the end when it seemed pretty obvious how to identify the killer - were completely missed by the detectives. I understand that the reader gets more info than any individual character but it was right there.

So, I'm glad I finished the book but unless the POV switching was eliminated in later books in the series, I don't see myself reading another. ( )
  amcheri | Aug 22, 2016 |
The beauty of Louise Penny’s auspicious debut novel, STILL LIFE, is that it’s composed entirely of grace notes, all related to the central mystery of who shot an arrow into the heart of Miss Jane Neal,...

Louise Pennyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burk, DannyCover photo of townsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cosham, RalphNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salminen, RaimoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stumpf, AndreaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tse, EdwinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werbeck, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is given, along with all my heart, to Michael
Miss Jane Neal met her maker in the early morning mist of Thanksgiving Sunday.
She also felt a stirring that suggested she didn't actually like her son. Love, yes. Well, probably. But like?
Evil is unspectacular and always human, and shares our bed and eats at our own table. (From the third verse of 'Herman Melville' by W. H. Auden, quoted by Jane Neal in chapter one)
Every year the hunters shot cows and horses and family pets and each other. And, unbelievably, they sometimes shot themselves, perhaps in a psychotic episode where they mistook themselves for dinner. It was a wise person who knew that some hunters -- not all, but some -- found it challenging to distinguish a pine from a partridge from a person. (Chapter 1)
[Gamache is talking with Myrna Landers]

'The funny thing about murder is that the act is often committed decades before the actual action. Something happens, and it leads, inexorably, to death many years later. A bad seed is planted. It's like those old horror films from the Hammer studios, of the monster, not running, never running, but walking without pause, without thought or mercy, toward its victim. Murder is often like that. It starts way far off.' (chapter 7)