Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache…

Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache Mysteries, No. 1) (original 2005; edition 2008)

by Louise Penny, Ralph Cosham (Narrator)

2,8271902,057 (3.86)613
Member:BALE
Title:Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache Mysteries, No. 1)
Authors:Louise Penny
Other authors:Ralph Cosham (Narrator)
Info:Blackstone Audio, Inc., 8 discs, 9 1/2 hours.
Collections:Read, Audio Book
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Mystery

Still Life by Louise Penny (2005)

The No. 1 Ladiesʼ Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: The first of another fun mystery series: a lovable detective and an entertaining group of supporting characters, all against a lively African backdrop!
    Raven Black by Ann Cleeves (y2pk)
    y2pk: Inspector Jimmy Perez investigates murder in a small isolated community located on the Shetland Islands of Northern Scotland.
    Thus Was Adonis Murdered by Sarah Caudwell (wandering_star)
    wandering_star: Both these mystery series are excellent examples of the quirky/cosy end of the spectrum, with extremely engaging characters, an ironic wit and good twisty mysteries.
    The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (sturlington)
    sturlington: Cozy mysteries set in villages.
    I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Bone by Bone by Carol O'Connell (VictoriaPL)

English (185)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (190)
I like this style of mystery, "the cozy." You are settled into a place, get to know it's people, the bonds, the sense of why these people came together, especially in such a small, almost isolated village in cold, cold Canada. The contrast between the harsh climate of the area and the warm regards among the villagers is stark. The motivations for characters actions is revealing, not giving excuses for their actions, but kindly or forcibly told with compassion.
Despite the very deep contrast of climate - I am definitely a warm weather person, I find myself drawn to this little village and its main characters and find I think I would be very comfortable living there.
So, to the mystery, it is all built around the artists in the area and their personalities, insights, history, that help Gamache and team to reach a conclusion.
As the first in her Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series, one must give the writer some leniency for detailed character exposition as she is laying foundation, not just for the mystery, but also for the series. ( )
  CathyWoolbright | Apr 20, 2016 |
Carrington MacDuffie
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
Inspector Gamache is investigating a death by bow and arrow in Three Pines Quebec. A bunch of close knit friends, but all with a certain amount of hangups.
This is my fist taste of her fiction, but I will read more of her. ( )
  pgabj | Mar 11, 2016 |
This is my first Louise Penny novel and I found it intriguing. I like Inspector Gamache, the village of Three Pines. and all the other characters. It took a little time to get used to her switching third person perspectives as often as she does. I will definitely read another of her books. ( )
  MelAnnC | Feb 29, 2016 |
It was good. Set in Canada, this book is the first of a series with protagonist Inspector Gamache. He and his team are called to the scene of a suspicious death which could have been the result of a hunting accident. Louise Penny weaves the tale well and just as the Inspector does, the reader becomes very involved with the characters in the village. I was pretty sure I knew who the murderer was early on and I was right but the motive and mindset of the murderer were far more complicated than I expected. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
The beauty of Louise Penny’s auspicious debut novel, STILL LIFE, is that it’s composed entirely of grace notes, all related to the central mystery of who shot an arrow into the heart of Miss Jane Neal,...

Louise Pennyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Saint-Germain, MichelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salminen, RaimoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stumpf, AndreaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werbeck, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is given, along with all my heart, to Michael
Miss Jane Neal met her maker in the early morning mist of Thanksgiving Sunday.
She also felt a stirring that suggested she didn't actually like her son. Love, yes. Well, probably. But like?
Evil is unspectacular and always human, and shares our bed and eats at our own table.

Winner of the New Blood Dagger, Arthur Ellis, Barry, Anthony, and Dilys awards.

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the Surêté du Québec and his team of investigators are called in to the scene of a suspicious death in a rural village south of Montreal. Jane Neal, a local fixture in the tiny hamlet of Three Pines, just north of the U.S. border, has been found dead in the woods. The locals are certain it’s a tragic hunting accident and nothing more, but Gamache smells something foul in these remote woods, and is soon certain that Jane Neal died at the hands of someone much more sinister than a careless bowhunter.

Still Life
introduces not only an engaging series hero in Inspector Gamache, who commands his forces--and this series--with integrity and quiet courage, but also a winning and talented new writer of traditional mysteries in the person of Louise Penny.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:00 -0400)

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the S?urete du Quebec and his team of investigators are called in to the scene of a suspicious death in a rural village south of Montreal. Jane Neal, a local fixture in the tiny hamlet of Three Pines, just north of the U.S. border, has been found dead in the woods. The locals are certain it's a tragic hunting accident and nothing more, but Gamache smells something foul in these remote woods, and is soon certain that Jane Neal died at the hands of someone much more sinister than a careless bowhunter.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,354,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible