Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache…

Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache Mysteries, No. 1) (original 2005; edition 2008)

by Louise Penny, Ralph Cosham (Narrator)

2,087None3,178 (3.86)529
Member:BALE
Title:Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache Mysteries, No. 1)
Authors:Louise Penny
Other authors:Ralph Cosham (Narrator)
Info:Blackstone Audio, Inc., 8 discs, 9 1/2 hours.
Collections:Read, Audio Book
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Mystery

Still Life by Louise Penny (2005)

2012 (14) Armand Gamache (81) art (34) artists (29) audio (14) audiobook (16) Canada (159) Canadian (61) Canadian author (16) Canadian literature (18) cozy (21) crime (38) crime fiction (25) detective (25) ebook (28) fiction (188) Gamache (24) Kindle (30) Montreal (23) murder (40) mystery (494) police procedural (32) Quebec (153) read (26) read in 2010 (17) read in 2011 (14) series (50) small town (28) Three Pines (55) to-read (66)
    The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith (sarah-e)
    sarah-e: The first of another fun mystery series: a lovable detective and an entertaining group of supporting characters, all against a lively African backdrop!
    Raven Black by Ann Cleeves (y2pk)
    y2pk: Inspector Jimmy Perez investigates murder in a small isolated community located on the Shetland Islands of Northern Scotland.
    Thus Was Adonis Murdered by Sarah Caudwell (wandering_star)
    wandering_star: Both these mystery series are excellent examples of the quirky/cosy end of the spectrum, with extremely engaging characters, an ironic wit and good twisty mysteries.
    I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Bone by Bone by Carol O'Connell (VictoriaPL)

English (150)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (154)
unknown
  Bruno_Estigarribia | Mar 31, 2014 |
This is the first in the Chief Inspector Gamache novels by Canadian author Louise Penny. The story is set in a fiction town of Three Pines in Quebec. It is a nice little town, picturesque, everyone knows everybody and it is so safe in Triple Pines, no one locks their doors. A spinster older woman dies, Inspector Gamache comes to town with his team including Nichol the intern who is so very irritating. The story is comfortable, the mystery has enough to keep you guessing and it was a nice easy read after reading all the Olympic Challenge reads at 1001. I chose to read this book because of LibraryCin and because it was set in Canada and sounded different enough to peak my interest. I enjoyed it and might even read the next book in the series.

Some neat things in this book seem very Jungian. The title refers to people who aren’t living their lives--their ‘Still Lives’. It mentions life is loss. Also quoted in this book, written in 2005 is “the fault lies not in our stars, but in ourselves”. And the picture of life as a long house in which we pass through. Entering as babies and exiting when our time comes. We need to make peace with our past or it will continue to heckle us. But mostly it is “cozy”. I really love all the food mentioned. It made you want to eat. I was evening searching the web for black licorice pipes. We had them in Ely, where I used to live, and I haven’t seen one for a long time. It was a good book to finish the record reading month. ( )
  Kristelh | Feb 28, 2014 |
This was my first Inspector Gamache book.
I love the writer's way with words - her humour and her wisdom.
The story was a fun ride and the characters very real.
My only problem was with the junior officer, Nicole. I kept wanting her to succeed, to show a redeeming side or at least to have her dealt with in some final manner but she was sort of left dangling. I suppose she may develop in a subsequent book but I was a bit frustrated by this.
Other than that, I really enjoyed this story. The setting was wonderfully and lovingly described - almost like another character.
Inspector Gamache is someone I want to meet again so I will be reading more in this series. ( )
  rosiezbanks | Feb 26, 2014 |
I have finally gotten around to reading this series, and I really enjoyed the first book. It’s sort of like Elizabeth George Lite. This book was not as dark or psychological as the Thomas Lynley books, but still enjoyable, and the characters are well developed. One of the characters, Yvette Nichols, a new detective, even reminded me of Barbara Havers, only not as unkempt.

Penny’s characters are wittier and more amusing than George’s or say P.D. James, but not to the point of being unbelievable or characters. And I wouldn’t categorize this as a cozy mystery either, since the writing is far and away better than most cozy mysteries and Gamache is a real detective, rather than an amateur sleuth.

The plot is simple, Jane Neal, an elderly and beloved resident of Three Pines is found dead in the woods, was it a hunting accident or murder? Chief Inspector Armand Gamache and his officers of the Sûreté du Quebec are called in to investigate. We then get to know all of the villagers and learn about their jealousies, insecurities, and weaknesses.

I listened to this on audio and the reader, Ralph Cosham does a wonderful job of narrating and his French is perfect.

I have already started listening to the second book in the series.
  trishrope | Feb 7, 2014 |
Inspector Armand Gamache goes to the small town of Three Pines to investigate the murder of an elderly woman killed by an arrow.

This was a light and cozy read, more than a little reminiscent of Agatha Christie with its village setting and French-speaking detective, although not quite as clever as Christie (but then, who is?). I liked the setting and the characters, but the writing was a bit awkward at times, understandable for a debut novel. I found the solution to the mystery somewhat unconvincing, though. My biggest issue with the novel was with the character of Agent Nichol. I kept waiting for her to demonstrate some redeeming quality, something to help me sympathize with her, but she never did, and I was left wondering what her purpose was in the novel. I doubt I'll continue with the series, but I don't read a lot of mysteries anymore, so that's really no surprise.

Read based on my mother's recommendation and for the MysteryCAT Series challenge (2014). ( )
  sturlington | Feb 6, 2014 |
The beauty of Louise Penny’s auspicious debut novel, STILL LIFE, is that it’s composed entirely of grace notes, all related to the central mystery of who shot an arrow into the heart of Miss Jane Neal,...

Louise Pennyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Saint-Germain, MichelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salminen, RaimoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stumpf, AndreaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Werbeck, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is given, along with all my heart, to Michael
Miss Jane Neal met her maker in the early morning mist of Thanksgiving Sunday.
She also felt a stirring that suggested she didn't actually like her son. Love, yes. Well, probably. But like?
Evil is unspectacular and always human, and shares our bed and eats at our own table.

Winner of the New Blood Dagger, Arthur Ellis, Barry, Anthony, and Dilys awards.

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the Surêté du Québec and his team of investigators are called in to the scene of a suspicious death in a rural village south of Montreal. Jane Neal, a local fixture in the tiny hamlet of Three Pines, just north of the U.S. border, has been found dead in the woods. The locals are certain it’s a tragic hunting accident and nothing more, but Gamache smells something foul in these remote woods, and is soon certain that Jane Neal died at the hands of someone much more sinister than a careless bowhunter.

Still Life
introduces not only an engaging series hero in Inspector Gamache, who commands his forces--and this series--with integrity and quiet courage, but also a winning and talented new writer of traditional mysteries in the person of Louise Penny.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:38 -0400)

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the S?urete du Quebec and his team of investigators are called in to the scene of a suspicious death in a rural village south of Montreal. Jane Neal, a local fixture in the tiny hamlet of Three Pines, just north of the U.S. border, has been found dead in the woods. The locals are certain it's a tragic hunting accident and nothing more, but Gamache smells something foul in these remote woods, and is soon certain that Jane Neal died at the hands of someone much more sinister than a careless bowhunter.--From publisher description.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,461,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible