Well Loved Tales: The Little Red Hen and the…

Well Loved Tales: The Little Red Hen and the Grains of Wheat

by Vera Southgate

Despite remembering little about this tale now, I think rating it five stars equates to how much I enjoyed this story when I read it numerous times as a child.

I do recall the basic plot for this, however, and in fact remember more about this title than most books read during my pre-teens. Thus, Red Hen every so often asks three other animals if they will help her with such and such a task, to which she always receives the following replies:

"Not I," said the pig.

"Not I," said the cat.

"Not I," said the rat.

I remember the above because even to this day I sometimes quote these responses to myself (in a non-crazy way) when I don't want to do something. Funny how certain unusual aspects of one's childhood last deep into adulthood, perhaps forever.

Possible spoiler coming up, so don't read on if you genuinely want to read this without any clue to the ending.

Anyway, the three animals' answers all change to "I will" at the end when Red Hen asks who'll help her eat her wheat (or something containing wheat), but quite rightfully she tells the others to sod off, though of course she puts it more eloquently than me.

Reckon 1984 would be the last time I read it, but it's hard to be accurate all these years on.

Recommended to anyone aged in single figures or for grown-ups feeling nostalgic. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Feb 9, 2015 |
retold by Vera Southgate

At each step of the way - harvesting, threshing and taking the grain to the mill - the Little Red Hen's lazy friends refuse to help. So when her efforts yield a warm, fragrant loaf of bread, the Little Red Hen is glad to say that she is going to eat the bread herself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:19 -0400)

None of her animal friends will help the little red hen plant and care for the grains of wheat she finds, but they are willing to eat the bread she bakes from it.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,075,168 books! | Top bar: Always visible