Buster Midnight's Cafe by Sandra Dallas

Buster Midnight's Cafe (original 1990; edition 1998)

by Sandra Dallas

Member:KittyMommy
Title:Buster Midnight's Cafe
Authors:Sandra Dallas
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (1998), Paperback, 277 pages
Collections:Mom, Currently reading, Read but unowned
Tags:mom, novel

Buster Midnight's Cafe by Sandra Dallas (1990)

This is Dallas's first novel, and already I see her gift for creating characters that leap off the page and into your heart. Effa Commander, Whippy Bird and May Anna (a/k/a/ Marion Strut) are vividly drawn. And, of course, there is a murder, and conflicting confessions for the reader to sort through. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 26, 2016 |
BUSTER MIDNIGHT’S CAFÉ by Sandra Dallas
I just finished reading this very early book written by a very good author. If Dallas were writing it today, it would be a better book. This one drags in places, gives us information we don’t need and glosses over information we do need. The ending is a bit ambiguous also.
On the other hand this is a good book with interesting, believable characters. The story is true to the time setting, including some of the brands and slang words used. She uses humor to enliven what could be a very dreary story. There are enough twists and turns to keep you reading through the “draggy” parts. As she does in THE PERSIAN PICKLE CLUB, the “plot” doesn’t become obvious until near the end of the book. That device works better five years later in PERSIAN PICKLE. It is interesting to see her try it out here.
3 of 5 stars ( )
  beckyhaase | Jun 30, 2015 |
This is my second Sandra Dallas novel, this first being Prayers for Sale, and I have to say I’m really loving her. It took my a chapter or two to get the hang of the voice of each book but once I did, I was hooked.

Set in a place and time I really don’t know much about I really got a feel of the hard scrabble life these girls lead and how it bonded them to one and other and the men in their lives. I love what this story had to say about friendship and loving your friends not matter how unlovable, at times, they may be. About being there to answer a call for help no matter how much time a slipped away from you.

Effie Commander and Whippy Bird are two women you want to have as your friend because you know they have your back. And Effie tells May Anna’s story the way a no brass tacks, true friend would, warts and all. There are people who saw the hard side of life but still lived a good life filled with love and caring.

I love when an author can tell a wonderful story filled with great characters, depth of feeling, and all the adventures of ordinary and extraordinary lives without a lot of bells and whistles, without a ton of fanfare but when your done you really feel like you’ve experienced something rather grand.

I was very lucky in 2011 to discover a whole slew of authors new to me who have a whole, big, back catalog for me to discover. Sandra Dallas is high on that list. Right now I have The Bride’s House and Whiter than Snow waiting for me to read and I honestly can’t wait to dive in. ( )
  bremmd | Feb 14, 2012 |
I love this book! Whippy Bird and Effa Comander just warm my heart and I love to read about them. I have read this book many times, it is like a salve to the soul, like a visit from your best friend, a re-affirmation of the beauty and strength of friendship between women. It just doesn`t get old with each reading. ( )
1 vote kpolhuis | May 13, 2010 |
This is the story of three girls growing up in a small town. One finds fame and the other two experience her fame second hand through knowing her. The story is of their friendship and the stories of the sorrows and joys of their lives they shared.

This is my second book by this author, and I have got to say I'm glad I didn't read this one 1st. If I had I'm not sure I would have read the other one which was put into my favorites (Prayers for Sale). I try to cut slack for debut novels but this one just was too boring for me. Towards the very end, it got my attention but never enough for me to change my mind as a whole. The story line was too choppy for me. Where I wanted more I got less and was just stumbling through trying to find my way to the end. ( )
  justablondemoment | Apr 7, 2010 |
For Kendal, "Joy of my life"
Thanks to Jane Jordan Browne and Susan Kamil, the unholy three's best friends, who made this book.
You want to know about Butte, you go over to the twenty-four-hour Jim Hill Cafe & Cigar Store on Silver Street and ask for me and Whippy Bird.

May Anna Kovacks was discovered on the dustry streets of Butte, Montana and went on to become a Hollywood star. War, fame, marriage, love, and heartbreak came and went. What never changed was the bond she shared with her two best friends, Effa Commander and Whippy Bird. When scandal, murder, and betrayal made a legend of May Anna, only Effa and Whippy Bird could set the record straight.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:19 -0400)

Two miner's daughters from Butte, Montana, Effa Commander and Whippy Bird, now restauranteurs, reveal the truth behind the scandalous Love Triangle murder, a crime that involved their childhood friend, May Ann Kovacks--aka Hollywood star Marion Street.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,197,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible