Unforgotten by Clare Francis

Unforgotten

by Clare Francis

It was a while since I last read a Clare Francis novel, and I can't, in all honesty, say that I was glad to have gone back to her. The plot of Unforgotten starts with a dreary civil court case about a chap suing an insurance company for a massive payout due to his apparent PTSD; I found this part of the story particularly tedious and almost gave up at that point. About a third of the way through the book shifts focus to Hugh, the main protagonist and solicitor, and his fight to discover who killed his wife by setting fire to their house. I have to say, that none of it really grabbed me, and on the whole I felt pretty disinterested in the story; Francis needs to focus more on plot - if it's badged as a thriller, the story's got to keep moving, even if it isn't that exciting. She has a somewhat detached style, and there's no real passion and drive in her writing. I struggled to finish this one, by the end not caring very much at all about these lacklustre characters. Not one that I'll recommend and it's likely to be at least another ten years , if at all, before I pick up another one of her books.
© Koplowitz 2012 ( )
  Ant.Harrison | Apr 29, 2013 |
An elegantly written and well-mannered book, Unforgotten belies its title by being totally unmemorable: reading it is like a chance encounter with an acquaintance – pleasant, emotionally unengaging, and forgettable.

Claire Francis writes well, and it is refreshing to have a solicitor rather than a barrister as the hero: the courtroom genre is usually dominated by the lead counsel, while members of the sidebar are relegated to, well – to the side.

What starts as a civil case ends in murder, and lawyer Hugh Gwynne and his family come close to losing everything. The mildly entertaining read is no thriller, but will hold your interest long enough for you to finish it. ( )
  adpaton | Apr 7, 2008 |

A monumental work in Bengali fiction, a novel set in the social, political and religious scene in Bengal at the end of the 19th Century. Originally pub. in 1999. Trans. WW Pearson. Excellent on nationalism, spiritual values, east-west interaction

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:05 -0400)

After five years, Hugh Gwynne's most difficult case has come to court. His client is claiming damages for post-traumatic stress after he witnessed the death of his daughter in an horrific accident. But then - one dreadful night - Hugh's life changes forever; now, like his client, he must face a lifetime of unbearable memories. Originally published:… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,093,468 books! | Top bar: Always visible