Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Emma Who Saved My Life

by Wilton Barnhardt

A big, funny, engaging, unsentimental and sometimes even wise book...Delightful."--New York Post Author ofLookaway, Lookaway Wilton Barnhardt's novel of coming of age in New York City brims with energy, surprise, irresistible humor, and the heady rush of youth. Its hero, Gil Freeman, a midwestern aspiring actor, comes to the city in search of stardom--but instead encounters the perils of Alphabet City, the desperation of off-off-off-Broadway theater...and the exhilarating, exasperating, absolutely unique Emma, around whom his life comes to turn. Charming and engaging, quintessentially American,Emma Who Saved My Life is one of the extraordinary fiction debuts of our time.… (more)

I was absolutely crazy about this book in the late 80's and early 90's and reread it in 08 to see if it was as good as I remembered. Everything I'd loved about it - Gil's love affair with NYC, his infatuation with Emma, an overall feeling of hopefulness and youth - was as fresh as ever. I'm sure I'll read this book in another five, ten, fifteen years and still feel the same way I did about it when I first read it in 1989. ( )
  chronic | Mar 23, 2017 |
Fairly amusing romance. ( )
  woodge | Nov 20, 2009 |
To Greenpoint, Brooklyn (1982-1985) For those who were there. And for those who missed it.
If I had to do it all over again, I think I'd try to find some way to skip being nine years old.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,769,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible