From the Dust Returned by Ray Bradbury

From the Dust Returned (2001)

by Ray Bradbury

I have long loved Ray Bradbury's writing. One of the earliest fantasy/science fiction books I read was The Martian Chronicles. From the Dust Returned reminds me of that book with its loosely connected stories that are linked through their themes. The theme of this book is darker with a family of odd characters, some darkly so.

The unifying characters are daughter Cecy whose mind wanders the earth and son Timothy. He'd be considered "normal" by most people, but he is the one who is different and carefully loved by his family.

I would suggest this book to people who are fans of Ray Bradbury or people who enjoy atmospheric dark fantasy. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Jun 9, 2019 |
Vintage Bradbury, with all that implies. Great imagination, wonderful description, weird characters, and not a whole lot of coherent plot. Read this as a collection of vignettes or short stories, not as a novel. I loved the Many Times Great Grandmere, who is a mummy stored in the attic.

Read this at Halloween - that's its mood. The afterword, in which Bradbury explains that this was originally planned as a collaboration with Charles Addams, is very interesting. ( )
1 vote JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
If you read primarily for the sound of the words, you'll probably enjoy this book. Bradbury certainly packs in descriptive images. Unfortunately they are images which don't resonate with me. I've read some of his books long ago, I enjoy a lot of science fiction, but I have no connection with this focus on the weird and dead. ( )
1 vote juniperSun | Feb 8, 2018 |
In an odd way the best part of this comes when it is over, and Bradbury tells us in an Afterword how it was created from 1945 to 2000. I don't want to spoil that. If the reader didn't already know this is a book for Halloween, and it was born when Ray Bradbury was a child who had a very imaginative Aunt. This overall story is built primarily on some of Bradbury's early short stories, and one or two I have read before, most certainly "Homecoming". This is a return to October Country. I found it a very satisfying read and liked it much more than his "Halloween Tree." Bradbury's writing really shines here and although there are some weaker parts to this overall story he managed to do this so well that it really made me smile.

My paperback copy has a delightful inside 2 page spread double cover which was done long ago by Charles Addams to illustrate these stories. ( )
  RBeffa | Oct 31, 2017 |
As usual with Bradbury, the language and images here are really lovely and evocative. The story, in this case, is somewhat uneven and I was disappointed by how little was made of the intriguing tidbits and references to mysterious characters and events. Part of the problem is that this is really a collection of tales, featuring the same characters but written over a period of years and published separately, and so there are inconsistencies, changes in tone, and hints of stories which might have been developed and then weren't. Still, there are a few really excellent stories, and they all have some delightful elements. ( )
  meandmybooks | Dec 26, 2016 |
added by DoctorDebt | editPublisher's Weekly (Oct 8, 2001)

Ray Bradburyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Addams, CharlesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Körber, JoachimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mousli, LillianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the two midwives of this book: Don Congdon, who was in at the beginning in 1946, and Jennifer Brehl, who helped bring it to completion in 2000. With gratitude and love.
In the attic where the rain touched the roof softly on spring days and where you could feel the mantle of snow outside, a few inches away, on December nights, A Thousand Times Great Grandmere existed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380789612, Mass Market Paperback)

High on a hill by a forked tree, the House beckons its family homeward, and they come--travelers from the lyrical, lush imagination of Ray Bradbury.

From the Dust Returned chronicles a community of eternal beings: a mummified matriarch who speaks in dust; a sleeping daughter who lives through the eyes and ears of the creatures she visits in her dreams; an uncle with wings like sea-green sails. And there is also the mortal child Timothy, the foundling son who yearns to be like those he loves: to fly, to sleep in daytime, and to live forever. Instead, his task is to witness the family's struggle with the startling possibility of its own end.

Bradbury is deservedly recognized as a master of lyricism and delicate mood. In this novel he weaves together individuals' stories and the overarching family crisis into a softly whispered, seductive tale of longing and loss, death and life in the shadowy places. --Roz Genessee

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:18 -0400)

The first new novel from Bradbury in more than 10 years--and the recipient of the National Book Foundation's 2000 Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters--features the supernatural Elliot family. Outlandish, great-hearted, and loving-spirited, the Elliots are vampires, but their son is born with a defect--he's human.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,433,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible