A History of Britain by Fiona Beddall

A History of Britain

by Fiona Beddall

This is a story about a history of Britain. I like world history so I enjoyed reading this book. Moreover, I knew the details of Kings and Queens of Britain that I hadn't learned in my junior high school classes. I think it is important to know world history. ( )
  ayasu | Jul 16, 2010 |
It is an interesting story. Because I like world history,I think it's an enjoyable book for me. I was surprised at some stories about British kings and queens because I'd never leared them in my high school classes. Ithink British history plays an important role in world history, and this book helped me to gain knowledge about it. ( )
  megumim | May 12, 2010 |
1.Main characters
Henry 8th etc.

2. Write the summary of the book.
By 1940, France was under German control. Hitler was making plans to invade Britain. First, he had to win control of the skies above Britain. German and British planes fought for three month, but the Germans couldn't defeat the British airmen. Finally, like Napoleon before him, Hitler chose to invade Russia, not Britain. And like Napoleon's, his invasion failed.
The US now fighting the same side as Britain, and together they pushed the Germans out of France. At the same time the Russians were pushing Germans back through the countries of Eastern Europe. By May 1945, German was defeated and Hitler was dead.
But the war in Asia continued. Japan joined the Germany in the war in 1941 and took control of many British lands in Asia. A quarter of a million British and American soldiers and ordinary people were made prisons by the Japanese. But the Americans finally defeated the Japanese in the Pacific Ocean. The British pushed them out of Burma and India. In August 1945, Japan was defeated.

3. Write your feelings about the book in details.
The factories made cloth from local wool, and also from American cotton. British cloth became even more popular in Europe than before. When the French Emperor Napoleon, Britain's great enemy, invaded Russia, his soldiers were wearing coats of British cloth(See p 24)

Their cloth was so great that Napoleon's soldiers were wearing their cloth.

4. Write the words, phrases or sentences that impressed you most in the book and explain why they impressed you. Or you could write your questions about the book.

The 1920s and 1930s
Lands from the German and Turkish empires became British, but they are trouble after the war in other parts of the Empire. Much of Ireland became independent and India wanted independence too. Japan's power in Asia was growing. Were the British areas of Asia safe?(See p 34)

I should know the situation of the world power in the past to understand above them. ( )
  n.oyaizu | Nov 28, 2009 |
A lot of famous person of Britain:king,queen,prince,princes..appear in this book,so we will be able to understand the backgrand of Britain deeply.
But,l think too much name of them will make you confused when you read this story,so l don`t recommend you finish reading it at a stretch.
You can read it little by little while reading another books.
If you want to know about Britain, please try it.
I would like to read this kind books, for example the book about U.S.A or Australia or the countries in Europe. ( )
  tadashi | Jun 30, 2009 |
I like the book,because I got to know about the history of Britain ( )
  getreadingadw | Jun 2, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,406,046 books! | Top bar: Always visible