A Supremely Bad Idea: Three Mad Birders and…

A Supremely Bad Idea: Three Mad Birders and Their Quest to See It All (2008)

by Luke Dempsey

2033857,794 (3.36)23

As a one time avid birder, I really enjoyed this book. The author, although not quite as good a writer, reminds me of Patrick McManus. If McManus were a birder, I am pretty sure he would be like this. The book essentially follows three misfits as they bird in various birding hot spots in the US. Almost makes me yearn for my birding days again. ( )
  bness2 | May 23, 2017 |
British ex-pat discovers birding and instantly becomes obsessed. Travels to different birding hot spots around the U.S. each spring with his delightfully eccentric friends Don & Donna Graffiti. A humorous and warm-hearted book. Recommended for birders who enjoy reading about other birders' adventures. ( )
  S.D. | Apr 5, 2014 |
A Supremely Bad Idea is a memoir about Luke Dempsey and his friends Don and Donna's adventures in birding. They travel across the US in search of the rarest and most beautiful birds they can find hitting many remote areas of the country. I picked this book up on a whim. I am not a birder though I enjoy animal/nature memoirs. It was a fun read. Dempsey's writing is witty and educational and a couple of times lough out loud funny. I liked the included photos taken on their trips. Some of those birds are spectacular. ( )
  Narilka | Nov 2, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It's a good lighthearted memoir about bird watching; I would probably get more out of it if I actually was a birder. But it makes me want to try! ( )
  jimandcheryl | May 5, 2011 |
It's delightful. It is about bird watching, but not at all in the sense of a how-to book. Instead, he describes his growing obsession, the end of his marriage, and a friendship by describing watching birds, chatting with other birders, and fussing with binoculars. Along the way, you do learn rather a lot about birds and birding — at least I think I did.
  mulliner | Sep 7, 2010 |
In Memoriam

Vincent Dempsey

1935 - 1990
for Lily
for David
for Amelia
for Deborah
I grew up in England, a small country near Ireland where we all love the queen and the sun don't shine.
I believe that birders are quietly heroic folk. Given all the choices one faces in the modern world, it's admirable, to my eye at least, that some people give up the chance to stand in line to buy iphones, or DVR CSI Scranton, and instead go out into a field to appreciate nature.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159691355X, Hardcover)

It was an epiphany: The moment two friends showed Luke Dempsey a small bird flitting around the bushes of his country garden, he fell madly in love. But did he really want to be a birder? Didn’t that mean he’d be forced to eat granola? And wear a man-pouch? Before he knew it, though, he was lost to birding mania. Early mornings in Central Park gave way to weekend mornings wandering around Pennsylvania, which morphed into weeklong trips to Texas, Arizona, Michigan, Florida—anywhere the birds were.
A Supremely Bad Idea is one man’s account of an epic journey around America, all in search of the rarest and most beautiful birds the country has to offer. But the birds are only part of it. There are also his crazy companions, Don and Donna Graffiti, who obsess over Dempsey’s culinary limitations and watch in horror as an innocent comment in a store in Arizona almost turns into an international incident; as a trip through wild Florida turns into a series of (sometimes poetic) fisticuffs; and as he teeters at the summit of the Rocky Mountains, a displaced Brit falling in love all over again, this time with his adopted country.
Both a paean to avian beauty and a memoir of the back roads of America, A Supremely Bad Idea is a supremely fun comic romp: an environmentally sound This Is Spinal Tap with binoculars.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:14 -0400)

Recounts Dempsey's descent from general respectability into birding mania. It is the story of an epic journey around American in search of the rarest and most beautiful birds the country has to offer.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Luke Dempsey's book A Supremely Bad Idea was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,295,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible