Well Enough Alone by Jennifer Traig

Well Enough Alone

by Jennifer Traig

This book had a lot of potential, but at some point degenerated into a lot of "edgy" (read: offensive) ramblings about the author's life. ( )
  lemontwist | Oct 13, 2014 |
I didn't find this incredibly discursive memoir very funny. Traig paints herself as a whiny jerk, though she does so in a pretty readable manner. Mostly I rolled my eyes a lot, and was really glad to not know her in person. I had her earlier book on my TBR shelf, but reading this one is plenty. ( )
1 vote satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
I really enjoyed Jennifer Traig's previous book and I was looking forward to reading this one. Traig has a knack for taking a "serious" subject and turning it on its ear - all the while feeding us full of useful information on that very same subject.

Well Enough Alone is one such book. The subject matter is somewhat taboo in our society and is never really discussed openly and yet, there are many, many people suffering in silence. Traig talks about it as if it she were talking about a pimple on her face - and does it with a senses of humour that I just adored. Yet, at the same time, the author gives us lots of pertinent information on the subject and more importantly, removes some of the stigma from it.

The one thing I had a bit of a problem with (and why I rated the book 3 instead of 4 stars) is the fact that, at times, I found the storylines jumped around alot - and it took me a few seconds to situate myself - especially if I put the book down and picked it up a day later.

Still, this is a great read on a difficult subject to talk about in "polite company". ( )
  Nitestar | Dec 16, 2008 |

A hilarious first-person account of life as a hypochondriac, as well as a look at the condition's history and broader cultural context. The good news is that Jennifer Traig does not have lupus, multiple sclerosis, Huntington's disease, Crohn's disease, or muscular dystrophy. What she does have is hypochondria. Traig's inquiry into her ailment is not only a personal account but also a literary tour of hypochondria, past and present: the implied hypochondria of the Talmud, the flatulence-obsessed eighteenth century, and the malady's current unfortunate lack of a celebrity spokesperson. At the same time, Traig provides an intimate look at the complement of minor conditions that have concealed her essential health and driven her self-diagnosis: the eczema, the shaky hands, and, worst of all, the bad hair. To her surprise, she ends her journey more knowledgeable than when she started out, a little less neurotic, and--one might say--healthier.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,645,497 books! | Top bar: Always visible