Forced Out: A Novel by Stephen Frey

Forced Out: A Novel

by Stephen Frey

good mystery, ball player, ex Yankee Scout — quick ending — "Mickey Mantle potential" — magical

Sarasota, Florida: Forced to retire from his job as a scout for the New York Yankees, Jack Barrett is just getting by in a small Florida town when his daughter drags him to watch the local minor-league team play. It's a night that will change his life. Jack spots a remarkable player named Mikey Clemant, a kid whose amazing natural skill on the field is overshadowed by his bad attitude and solitary habits. In Clemant, Jack thinks he might have found his ticket back to the big time. But the young man has a secret that will put all of Jack's plans — and maybe even his life — in jeopardy.

Queens, New York: Johnny Bondano is the premier hit man for the Lucchesi crime family. Ruthless and cold-blooded but with a strict moral code, Johnny is given instructions to find and kill a man who took the life of a crime boss's only grandson. He suspects the family isn't telling him everything about his latest assignment, but to question his orders is tantamount to suicide.
  christinejoseph | Jun 19, 2017 |
I must have missed something while reading this book as it did not make sense
  shazjhb | Mar 31, 2015 |
Here was a crime thriller novel that was a fun read (even if it was a little spectacular). This is the first Frey novel I've read, and I would definitely read another!

Spoiler: I did NOT agree with how the book ended. The main characters dying unnecessarily at the end? It seems as if it were ONLY to say that it wasn't 'happily ever after' but didn't necessarily serve the plot any better? Boo. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Part of me wants to say this was a very good book but the baseball fan in me just really had a hard time. It's worth reading but I wish the baseball pieces were a bit more realistic. ( )
  bwkramer | Nov 19, 2013 |

A baseball scout, a remarkable player with a secret, and a Mafia hitman collide with violent and unpredictable results.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,001,409 books! | Top bar: Always visible