Tor der Offenbarung by Carol Berg

Tor der Offenbarung (original 2001; edition 2008)

by Carol Berg

Member:Azariel
Title:Tor der Offenbarung
Authors:Carol Berg
Info:Blanvalet Taschenbuchverl (2008), Perfect Paperback, 669 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fantasy, rai kirah

Revelation by Carol Berg (2001)

The Third God by Ricardo Pinto (quigui)
    quigui: Some of the traditions of the Ezzarians and its history reminded me of the Third God

This book was very unique, but also borderline strange. It's science fiction and takes place in a fictional world. Put simply, it's basically about a wizard that enters human souls in order to free them from demonic possession. The story is imaginative and the author paints vivid images of her imaginative world. ( )
  HSContino | May 20, 2016 |
Quite good in spite of a little disapointment in the end. ( )
  Gerardlionel | Apr 2, 2016 |
Truly a powerful sequel to Transformation. I was pleasantly surprised –yet again – by Berg’s masterful story building and elegant prose. I truly enjoyed the way the events of the previous book, which can be read as a standalone, deftly lead to another complex conflict with rich ramifications.

”Astonishing how old fear returns like a well- worn garment, still fitting perfectly well, though you believe yourself grown long past its use”

I didn't think I would have liked this one as much as the stunning first book of the series since it doesn’t have the same advantage of novelty, but the tale and the characters are very original and I was deeply engaged from beginning to end. The POV is always Seyonne’s, who has resumed his former duties with staunch dedication but is unable to conform to what he now perceives to be a sterile tradition. Regarded suspiciously by his very own people for his maverick demeanor, he is suddenly faced with a most intimate tragedy borne of prejudice, and decides to defy all the laws of his country.
This time there are more plotlines and characters, the story definitely gets more tangled and I was thrilled at letting it sweep me away. Along with the constant and skilled worldbuilding, the narrative pattern worked superbly for me, the careful construction of the first part of the book gradually widens the stage and allows for rich developments and several story twists.

“As had happened each time I thought I had discovered the true depth of despair, I turned another corner and found the way still pointed downward.”

Seyonne has not lost his incredible resilience for abuse and humiliations. For all his fighting skills against demons and his warrior training, he gets captured and/or beaten pretty often during the ordeal. This adds realism to the story, too, but his actions give the impression that he kind of welcomes captivity as a reaction to psychological pressure, almost as if it were a reprieve from the gnawing doubts which pepper his course and the double-edged consequences of his inquisitive nature. Maybe “welcome” is too strong a word, but surely Seyonne never forgets his past and acts consistently, he doesn’t settle for the easy way out but when choosing or thinking become painful he tends to fall back into slave habits. Yet he also manages to be far from passive, showing ironbound resolve, faith in his vision as Warden of Ezzaria and an uncanny capacity for all-encompassing innovation.
Disturbing thoughts apart, this blend of strengths and weaknesses is an intriguing aspect of his character and his development as a person. Also, this time I was better prepared for the cruelty and violence immanent to the tale, which are different from the previous book’s and never graphic, but still very harrowing.

”Creatures with words were creatures I could hate, and that kept my mind alive. Barely.”

There are some interesting women who share the stage, one of whom I absolutely despised but it was nice to read about her, when an author manages to get me interested with unpleasant characters I know I’m truly hooked. The intense ending offers a satisfying conclusion, but it’s also a clear stepstone to the last installment which, of course, I read straight.

Colour me sold on Carol Berg :D ( )
  Alissa- | Nov 28, 2015 |
I love Carol Berg's writing. It's just fantastic. I did miss Seyonne's relationship with Aleksander in this book, but it was rather fascinating nonetheless. I'm looking forward to reading the last one! ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |

Carol Bergprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stawicki, MattCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Ginny, Jane, and Shirley-
friends and craftswoman all-
my eyes and conscience.

And for Andrew, first fan and true believer.
Verdonne was a beauteous woodland maid, a mortal who caught the eye and heart of the god who ruled the forest lands of earth.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451458427, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:46 -0400)

Seyonne, the slave-turned-hero from "Transformation", resumes the mantle of Warden, which allows him to free human souls from demonic possession. When he confronts a demon who is curious about humans, and does not destroy it, Seyonne's Ezzarian elders exile him. Now he must uncover the truth about the real relationship between the demons and the Ezzarians. Seyonne, the slave-turned-hero from Berg's highly acclaimed Transformation, returns to discover the nature of evil--in a "spellbinding" (Romantic Times) epic saga.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,134,119 books! | Top bar: Always visible