Son of Avonar by Carol Berg

Son of Avonar

by Carol Berg

Series: Bridge of D'Arnath (1)

Recently added bysbisson, private library, ISCCSandy, dcdfn, kreaves739, Onilyn, spelite, duncjo, Galina98, CallistoNicol

Slightly difficult to start off with, but soon becomes an engaging story ( )
  kantr | Jan 18, 2016 |
TBR
  Ebeth.Naylor | Sep 30, 2013 |
Summer13:

Characters: A strong standout. Good leads and good villains.

Plot: Another strong standout actually. Made sense and moved along.

Style: Maybe a little pretentious, but you need that for high fantasy. ( )
  Isamoor | Jul 28, 2013 |
I liked this book, but it felt like the author bit off more than she could chew: too many "clever" things that didn't pull off all that well. A lot of summary descriptions instead of scenes. However, reading it was fascinating--comparing her new work with this was an education. ( )
  dknippling | Dec 16, 2011 |
This book is so full of fantasy cliches that, considered in the abstract, I feel I should hate it. And yet, Berg is so good, that aside from occasional moments, I was able to suspend my disbelief or annoyance with the cliches and enjoy a story well-told. This book is, if nothing else, a page-turner and I stayed up waaaay too late finishing it. Even though I figured out the hero's Big! Secret! long before the heroine, I wanted to see how they were going to get there and how it would all turn out. It's the first book of the series, and I was especially grateful for the lack of cliffhangers to carry over to book 2. ( )
  saltypepper | Jul 7, 2010 |

Carol Bergprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stawicki, MattCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The dawn wind teased at my old red shawl as I scrambled up the last steep pitch of the crescent-shaped headland the villagers called Rif Paltarre--Poacher's Ridge.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451459628, Mass Market Paperback)

Magic is forbidden throughout the Four Realms. For decades, sorcerers and those associating with them were hunted to near extinction.

But Seri, a Leiran noblewoman living in exile, is no stranger to defying the unjust laws of her land. She is sheltering a wanted fugitive who possesses unusual abilities-a fugitive with the fate of the realms in his hands...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:34 -0400)

In the Four Realms, sorcery is persecuted with a thoroughness that recalls the Third Reich, and Leiran noblewoman Seri has gone into exile to avoid not only that but also the faction fights of the royal family. Unfortunately, Leiran soldiers drive a mute, fugitive warrior to seek shelter with her. She helps him recover his identity, though as the story progresses, it appears that he may be a mage as well as a warrior, and may prove crucial for dealing with a menace that the Four Realms have brought on themselves by their war against magic. The ending is a bit of a cliffhanger. On the way to it, Berg exhibits her skill with language, world-building, and the intelligent development of the magic that affects and is affected by the characters. The first book of the Bridge of D'Arnath launches a promising new multivolume work that should provide much intelligent entertainment.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,098,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible