Specula by Mychael Black

Specula

by Mychael Black

611,268,033 (3.38)None

After I discovered the Deviations series by Chris Owen and Jodi Payne, I gained a new appreciation for BDSM-themed stories. However, medical play is not one of my favorite story lines. So, I’m not sure what spurred me to buy this novella except that I have enjoyed most of the author’s other work and it had two very positive reviews. I’m glad I bought it. It was a fun story, with an uncommon execution that worked brilliantly.

This story is told in the first person, through diary entries over a weekend. The speaker is Kyle, a full-time submissive whose master happens to be a doctor. And Kyle just happens to have a medical fetish, which he had been hiding from his master. The diary format was an excellent way to tell Kyle’s story. It kept a reader focused on him, when it is all too easy to be distracted by the dominant. It made the story more intense, as all the details are reflected through his eyes, his needs. It drove home just how vulnerable he is allowing himself to be. And it was hot. Though standard intercourse occurs, it is not the source of eroticism in their weekend-long scene. Most of the “action” takes place in an exam room, after all. Some of it was just a little too much (outside my comfort zone) for me, but it was always true to the characters. What I really liked about this story was the interplay between Kyle and his master outside the exam room. Black is careful to express the care and love in their relationship as much as the spanking and sex. And the ending was wickedly funny, as well as tender. In just about 30 pages, I found myself caring about these two men.

Overall, though medical play still isn’t my favorite, this story was very well done and I highly recommend it – especially to those who do enjoy that theme. ( )
  jshillingford | May 23, 2008 |
Taste Test: Specula reissued as Specula.

Vincent and Kyle are Dom and sub, they live the master and slave life full-time, they have a formal contract, and one day Vincent discovers Kyle's secret fetish for the medical experience.  Kyle has hidden it, embarrassed, but Vincent arranges for Kyle to experience his desires behind locked doors, giving them a weekend they'll never forget. Each story explores a day of their time together, but will the weekend help or hinder their relationship?

Mychael Black is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,813,303 books! | Top bar: Always visible