Big Big Sky by Kristyn Dunnion

Big Big Sky

by Kristyn Dunnion

191537,190 (2.4)None

Big Big Sky tells the story of a pod of five brainwashed teenage soldiers in the future. Part one is them figuring out that the aliens who pull their strings aren’t telling them the truth, and their breakout from the facility that imprisons them. Part two tells about the pod fighting the higher level soldiers sent to bring them back, dead or alive. And part three, well, I won’t spoil this part.

The beginning was okay, though somewhat of a drag. In the middle I was hyped! This was awesome! I’d finally gotten used to the language, the characters were fighting and interacting and I wanted to see what was going to happen. But at the end I just kept asking myself "what the hell?" and "what happened to this?"

I would so read a Kristyn Dunnion book if it were put out by Tor or Orbit or Night Shade or Prime. I’m sure it would be awesome! I have to believe a good editor would have worked with Dunnion to turn Big Big Sky into gold. Hell, maybe it wasn’t the editing that went wrong. Nalo Hopkinson is listed as the editor, and her writing is top notch. I don’t really know how the sausage was made. For something I loved in the middle and where I liked the ending itself, but not how it was presented, just feels like "could have been".

Full review at my blog: http://reading.kingrat.biz/reviews/big-big-sky-kristyn-dunnion ( )
  KingRat | Jun 17, 2010 |
Dedicated to the pitbulls of Ontario
and in loving memory of
Mark N. Karbusicky
(1971-2007)
Sometimes it's harder to kill than pod might think.

2009 Rainbow List Nominee
On Resource Link's "Best of 2008" List
Sometimes it's harder to kill than pod might think.

I crouch in the dark, stare into the manimal's shining eyes.
It blinks right at me. It shakes in fear. Its thrumping furred chest quickens my own pulse. The thing wave-sends a sonic roll of pure emo: terror, disbelief, and a wee glimmer of hope...

Rustle is a young scout in a tight-knit female warrior group of five. They're trained to be aggressive, quick thinking, obedient-though for what exact purpose they couldn't quite tell you. But somehow the group is falling apart now. The leader Shona turns out to be a traitor to them. Roku has disappeared. Rustle has failed to show her killing skills in a crucial test of courage, and is feeling quite separate from the others. Loo is a true warrior, ready and able for action of the most extreme kind, though Rustle's private yen for her has not dimmed. Solomon, the healer of the group, is a steady hand, but not even her stability can save them.

So when their StarPod is transported to the Living Lab, they all know that it's time to make a run for it, or else they'll be deplugged - finished, dead. It takes a lot of wit and energy, but eventually they make it to the outside of the great mountain where they've been raised and trained and programmed-and here for the first time they behold the big, big sky of the real world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:33 -0400)

"It is the future. ScanMans, an alien race, invades the warring, poverty stricken, and diseased remains of the Earth. They exterminate all human adults. They recruit orphans for military training in their subterranean, experimental training facility. Rustle is a young scout in a tight-knit female warrior group of five. They're trained to be aggressive, quick thinking, obedient--though for what exact purpose they couldn't quite tell you. But somehow the group is falling apart"--Cover p. [4].… (more)

Red Deer Press

An edition of this book was published by Red Deer Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,430,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible