Dark Harbor by Stuart Woods

Dark Harbor (2006)

by Stuart Woods

In Dark Harbor, Maine, Stone Barrington discovers a picturesque town where the shocking deaths of three people have cast a long shadow over this island haven - a locale as mysterious as it is exclusive. Stone Barrington hasn't heard from his cousin, Dick Stone, in years - though he has fond memories of a teenage summer spent at his house in Maine. But then the CIA's Lance Cabot interrupts an otherwise pleasant meal at Elaine's with news of Dick's death - apparently by his own. It seems that Dick Stone, a quiet family man who doubled as a CIA agent, methodically executed his wife, daughter, and then himself - or did he? With the help of his ex-partner Dino, and his friend Holly Barker, Stone must piece together the elusice facts of his cousin's life and death as a CIA operative. ( )
  jepeters333 | Sep 12, 2017 |
I generally like Stone Barrington books, but this one fell flat for me. It just didn't grab me, didn't feel like the fun escape his books usually are. I think it was the setting - I wanted to be in New York where we could eat at Elaine's and deal with Dino's in-laws. Holly Barker, who I used to like, made me want to gag. She was a useless booty call. To be completely honest, though, part of the Holly problem was the narrator. Men rarely do women voices well. The CIA angle wasn't exploited - that could've made things much more fun. The caretakers at Stone's new house could've been used better and added to the plot, instead they were nothing but set dressing. The plot was shallow and weak, and the characters were undeveloped.

I can't recommend this book, particularly the audiobook. ( )
  LLRobinett | Jan 29, 2017 |
My first book by Stuart Woods. A quick beach read. Started off good, kept my interest until about 2/3 of the way through. Turned kind of "stupid" but it was okay for investing a sunny day on vacation under a beach umbrella. Glad I read something by Woods, might be a while before I pick up another one. ( )
  Charlie-Ravioli | Jan 18, 2016 |
Fast, quick, entertaining read for the predictable Stone Barrington. The audiobooks just keep coming, like Stone Barrington's murders, and of course, Stone himself. The murder mystery is quite intriguing as is the cooperation between cop agencies with a private dude from NYC ;-) Nevertheless, I'm looking for Stone Barrington #13 next month ( )
  buffalogr | Jan 8, 2016 |
Stone Barrington investigates the secrets of a CIA officer's suicide in this next thriller in the bestselling series Stuart Woods's newest bestseller, Dark Harbor, brings us the perfect mix of sexy intrigue and swift suspense that have earned him legions of fans over the years. In this latest thriller, Stone enters the picturesque town Dark Harbor off the coast of Maine, where the shocking deaths of three people have cast a... ( )
  Tutter | Mar 3, 2015 |
This book is for Kristin Larkin.
Elaine's, late.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451218701, Mass Market Paperback)

Stuart Woods's newest bestseller, Dark Harbor, brings us the perfect mix of sexy intrigue and swift suspense that have earned him legions of fans over the years. In this latest thriller, Stone enters the picturesque town Dark Harbor off the coast of Maine, where the shocking deaths of three people have cast a long shadow over this island haven-a locale as mysterious as it is exclusive.

Stone Barrington hasn't heard from his cousin, Dick Stone, in years-though he has fond memories of a teenage summer spent at his house in Maine. Then, Lance Cabot of the CIA interrupts an otherwise pleasant meal at Elaine's with news of Dick's death-apparently by his own hands. It seems that Dick Stone, a quiet family man who doubled as a CIA agent, methodically executed his wife, daughter, and then himself-or did he? What would cause a loving father and husband to murder his family as they slept? Before his death, Dick had appointed Stone executor of his will, giving him full control of the disposition of a sizable family estate. Was Dick preparing for his suicide, or forewarning Stone of his murder?

With the help of his ex-partner, Dino, and his friend Holly Barker, Stone must settle the estate and piece together the elusive facts of his cousin's life and death as a CIA operative. At every step Stone knows he is being watched by Dick's family-and one of them just may be a killer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:37 -0400)

Investigating the unlikely murder-suicide case of his cousin, who secretly worked for the CIA, Stone Barrington is surprised to learn that his cousin had named him the executor of his estate just prior to his death.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,418,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible