Ender in Exile by Orson Scott Card

Ender in Exile (edition 2009)

by Orson Scott Card

Member:Qwubs
Title:Ender in Exile
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:Tor Science Fiction (2009), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages
Rating:*****

Ender in Exile by Orson Scott Card

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (Karlstar)
    Karlstar: Ender's Game is one of the best science fiction novels ever! Most people read the 2 novel version, which includes 'Speaker for the Dead'. Highly recommended!

English (58)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (60)
I'm a big fan of the Enderverse, so I knew that I would, at the very least, enjoy this book. I mean, what fan of Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead doesn't want more details about the time spanning between those two incredible books?

I wasn't disappointed.

I thoroughly enjoyed Ender in Exile, and would highly recommend it to any fan of the series. I know there is some debate about the best path for working through the saga, but I, under the influence of some friends, decided to read through the novels in the order in which they were published (as opposed to chronologically). Though biased, I think that is best, and it made Ender in Exile even better. Because of the other novels, I had a better understanding of the characters and events surrounding the book so it meant more emotional investment for me.

Having said all of that, it's a great book, one that I commend to everyone. ( )
  codyacunningham | May 9, 2016 |
The first thing I have to say is that I'm so confused by the reading order of this series. I've seen several different numberings for how to read the books, and I'm afraid I'm not reading them right. In any case, aside from that I'm enjoying the series. This book in particular goes back and tells a bit from Ender's Game only in a different perspective and with a bit more information. We also get to see what happens when Ender goes to the new colony. I liked learning about some new characters in this one as well. I've been listening to the audio books (except for the tales from enderverse book) and I like how there are different voices and accents throughout the reading. My kids, ages 10, 11 and 13 have all been enjoying the books as well. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
Since one of my students put Ender's Game in my hands to read, I have been a huge fan of this series. While some books in any series are stronger than others, I found myself enjoying how Exile filled in some of the gaps. I may just go back and reread Speaker now. ( )
  SharonRILINK | Mar 4, 2016 |
Kind of "Let's fill in the empty space between the other books." Focuses a lot on other characters.
  dayspring777 | Feb 22, 2016 |
While this book wasn't as good as Ender's Game, I am impressed with how well Card was able to get back into touch with his characters and the story after so many years. This book seems like it could have been written immediately after Ender's Game. There were characters, old and new, who were deliciously manipulative, just like the first book. I found this to be the main draw of these books. The characters are so well thought out, as are their actions. I wasn't planning on reading Speaker for the Dead, but after this book, it is on my to-read list. ( )
  TeachesNTennies | Oct 30, 2015 |

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barceló, MiquelPrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bury, FlorenceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gibbons, LeeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Baydon Hilton, Jordan Hilton, Ricky Fenton

Romeo, Mercutio and Benvolio:
you continue to earn my trust and admiration as fellow travelers on the twisted path of life.
You understand that during the recent attempt by the Warsaw Pact to take over the International Fleet, our sole concern at EducAdmin was the safety of the children.

Ender saves the world,
Then rides on a fast space ship
Looking for buggers.

(legallypuzzled)

After twenty-three years, Orson Scott Card returns to his acclaimed best-selling series with the first true, direct sequel to the classic Ender's Game.

In Ender’s Game, the world’s most gifted children were taken from their families and sent to an elite training school. At Battle School, they learned combat, strategy, and secret intelligence to fight a dangerous war on behalf of those left on Earth. But they also learned some important and less definable lessons about life.

After the life-changing events of those years, these children—now teenagers—must leave the school and readapt to life in the outside world.

Having not seen their families or interacted with other people for years—where do they go now? What can they do?

Ender fought for humanity, but he is now reviled as a ruthless assassin. No longer allowed to live on Earth, he enters into exile. With his sister Valentine, he chooses to leave the only home he’s ever known to begin a relativistic—and revelatory—journey beyond the stars.

What happened during the years between Ender’s Game and Speaker for the Dead? What did Ender go through from the ages of 12 through 35? The story of those years has never been told. Taking place 3000 years before Ender finally receives his chance at redemption in Speaker for the Dead, this is the long-lost story of Ender.

For twenty-three years, millions of readers have wondered and now they will receive the answers. Ender in Exile is Orson Scott Card’s moving return to all the action and the adventure, the profound exploration of war and society, and the characters one never forgot.

On one of these ships, there is a baby that just may share the same special gifts as Ender’s old friend Bean

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:49 -0400)

At the close of "Ender's Game," Andrew Wiggin--called Ender--is told that he can no longer live on Earth. The 12-year-old chooses to leave his home world and begins the long relativistic journey out to the colonies.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,834,897 books! | Top bar: Always visible