I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It…

I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was: How to Discover What You… (original 1994; edition 1995)

by Barbara Sher

Member:sidhevicious
Title:I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was: How to Discover What You Really Want and How to Get It
Authors:Barbara Sher
Info:Dell (1995), Edition: 1, Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:Psychology, Self-Help

I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was: How to Discover What You Really Want and How to Get It by Barbara Sher (1994)

Amazon.com Review:

"A life without direction is a life without passion," says motivational specialist, therapist, and career counselor Barbara Sher. In I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was, a sort of broader, less dense, and less intimidating version of What Color Is Your Parachute?, she reveals how to "recapture long lost goals, overcome the blocks that inhibit your success, decide what you want to be, and live your dreams."
This is a perfect book for new college graduates or anyone sick and tired of languishing in a dead-end job or relationship--yet reluctant to make drastic life changes due to uncertainty about what would actually inspire them. I Could Do Anything combines the I'm-not-buying your-excuses inspiration of Dr. Laura Schlessinger with the soothing, analytic encouragement of Dr. Martin Seligman in his classic Learned Optimism. In other words, Sher will pick you up off your butt and get you moving. She's included enough self-analytical exercises in here to save you hundreds of dollars in therapy.

Whether you're looking to make improvements in your job or personal life, Sher will teach you how to determine what your goals are, and how to successfully reach them--even if right now the only thing you know is that you're vaguely to very unhappy and haven't the foggiest idea what to do with yourself.

Therapist Sher's guide to discovering and attaining personal and career goals was a PW bestseller for five weeks.
  Saraswati_Library | Jul 10, 2010 |
While the ideas here are sometimes simplistic, there is enough for any seeker on any level. From the beginning, the author points out that the reader should feel to either read it from beginning to end or pick and choose. The idea is that we bring our childhood programming with us to the work place and all of our relationships, even at work, are predicated on these behaviors. Some behaviors are effective, some are not. If you are a seeker, then you are looking to change something about your life at work: sometimes it's a small change, sometimes it's a wholescale change.

Has it worked for me? Well, I haven't yet been offered the job of my dreams, but it has helped clarify what I'm feeling while on this cusp of a major change. I've been with the same boss for 18 years and in the same profession for 21 years. I'm feeling unsatisfied with my current path, but my attempts at change have produced nothing but despair, lowered self esteem, and confusion.

What I've learned with this book is that life is a process; nothing is overnight. ( )
  reika33 | Jul 8, 2008 |
I recommend this to anyone, even if you are content with your job. ( )
  jjsreads | Apr 8, 2007 |
I wish it had helped me.
  Poemblaze | Aug 14, 2006 |

Barbara Sherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, Barbarasecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my beloved dad, Sam Sher. He lit up our lives.
Not knowing what you want to do with your life is no joke.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440505003, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:21 -0400)

Explains how readers can realize their dreams, conquer inner conflicts, and create goals based on their own true desires.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,691,500 books! | Top bar: Always visible