The Book of Idle Pleasures by Dan Kieran

The Book of Idle Pleasures (2010)

by Dan Kieran (Editor), Tom Hodgkinson (Editor)

795152,477 (3)2
2010 (2) @n (1) cheap (1) consumer society (1) ebook (1) ephemera (1) essay (1) essays (2) fun (2) hardcover (2) hb (1) humor (5) idleness (2) in Finnish (1) Kindle (2) leisure (2) library (1) life (1) lifestyle (1) new (1) non-fiction (9) philosophy (1) pleasure (1) reference (1) self-help (1) slow (1) smoking (1) spl (1) to-read (2) trivia (2)

This is a lovely little old-fashioned book, perfect for browsing through during those idle moments, which one hopes will become more and more frequent. I suggest keeping it by the chaise lounge for spontaneous dips. ( )
  sturlington | Jun 27, 2014 |
I borrowed this book from my local library, then left it on the coffee table without looking at it for nearly 2 weeks, perhaps an Idle Pleasure in itself! When I did pick it up to have a look, I read it from cover to cover in one sitting. It's a sinful delight to read, and I was pleased to find that I already, unwittingly indulge, in many of these Idle Pleasures. ( )
  Fliss88 | Aug 15, 2011 |
Here we have a collection of little prose pieces from The Idler, all in praise of (you guessed it) idleness. The reader is encouraged to lie in bed, lie on the grass, soak in the tub, stroll, sing, yawn, take the time to learn the names of trees, and generally not be such a Puritan tight-ass. A good message, a corrective for our accelerating age...though one marvels that the writers of The Idler managed to work up the momentum necessary to assemble a book.
  subbobmail | Jun 12, 2010 |
I thought this was going to be dire but I found myself agreeing with the authors, idling away, flat on my back looking at the stars, skimming stones and chasing butterflies. As for dressing gowns and slippers - no thank you.
  jon1lambert | Feb 12, 2010 |
A cute little book, though some of the suggestions can be maddening in their 'tweeness'. However, the best thing about this book is that it reminds the reader that taking pleasure in simple things is a joy we can all partake in, often with no training, equipment or effort. ( )
  ForrestFamily | Sep 16, 2009 |

Kieran, DanEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hodgkinson, TomEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Wells, GedIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Life admits not of delays; when pleasure
can be had, it is fit to catch.
-Dr. Johnson (Introduction)
It is the purpose of this book to prove that the best things in life really are free. (Introduction)
In a world of "power showers" and invigorating pick-me-up gel products for the modern striver, it's good to remember the simple pleasures of a long, relaxing bath, preferably taken at eleven a.m. when everyone else is toiling in the mills and you have phoned in sick.
There was something wonderful and heartbreaking about the fact that she never remarried after losing her twenty-two-year old husband when she was only just twenty herself. It conjured up scenes of Britain during the Second World War. Thoughts of the brief snatches of happiness these two people managed together. Of her six decades of grief when he was lost, perhaps flying a Spitfire as one of Churchill's "few." You can imagine her waiting, hoping against hope that one day he might return. (Reading Gravestones)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0091923328, Hardcover)

As an antidote to our non-stop culture, this book lists and reflects on 75 simple pastimes and proves that the best things in life are free: skimming stones, catching falling leaves, whittling, staring out of the window, dreaming, doodling or taking a nap.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:20 -0400)

'The Book of Idle Pleasures' is a restorative gift book for the stressed out, tired and hassled. An antidote to our non-stop culture, it is a welcome compendium of timeless delights. The book lists and reflects on 75 simple pastimes and proves that the best things in life really are free.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,733,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible