Meet Samantha: An American Girl (American…

Meet Samantha: An American Girl (American Girls Collection) (original 1986; edition 1986)

by Susan S. Adler

Member:bdevil4
Title:Meet Samantha: An American Girl (American Girls Collection)
Authors:Susan S. Adler
Info:American Girl (1986), Paperback, 61 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Tags:children's fiction

Meet Samantha: An American Girl by Susan S. Adler (1986)

Recently added bysiquebella, sncase1, eliking, OKC_Juvenile_Center, ladixon105, private library, TammyAmin

Summary:
Samantha Parkington was a nine year old young lady. She was an orphan that lived with her wealthy Grandmother. Samantha liked things such as climbing trees and playing outside. She didn't care much for piano practice or sewing. She made friends with servants such as Jessie and Nellie. When she heard about her friend Nellie leaving, she pack up food and her favorite doll to send with her.

Personal Reaction:
I have collected American Girl Dolls since I was about 5 years old. Samantha was the first one I ever received. However, I don't ever remember reading the story of her life. She was a strong adventure young girl in a time that didn't look too highly on those aspects.

Classroom extension:
1. I could bring my doll to school to show the class what she looked like.
2. We could do research to see what information we could find on her life.
  Tarakalynn | Jul 11, 2014 |
This book introduces Samantha in the American Girl series. She is an orphan living with her grandmother in 1904. Samantha's neighbors have a girl her age come and live with them, but she has to work as a servant for her living rather than being priviliged as Samantha is. Samantha has grown up with servants but has never seen that children must also work in houses and factories. The two become friends and solve a mystery together. The story reveals the hardships and inequality of the time, rather than an idealistically whitewashed portrayal, but still shows the beauty of the period through historically accurate details. There are two versions of the artwork depending on the edition, but both give expression and warmth to the characters, and smaller illustrations show old-fashioned items that readers might have difficulty conceptualizing. These books introduce young readers to history in a non-glorified but approachable way that makes them more accessible and gives an understanding of real world concepts. The looking back section at the end uses real photographs and images from the era to display the highlights of that time in history along with the social implications. ( )
  Honanb | Mar 2, 2014 |
I really liked this book. I would recommend it to younger girls who enjoy learning about a girl and a little bit of history as well. This book is set in the past. The readers will really have to grasp that concept, instead of looking at the book as if it was published today. Overall, I liked it.
  SamiRomanecz | Oct 15, 2013 |
Samantha Parkington, an orphan, lives a privileged life with her Grandmary in a luxurious home in 1904. She is expected to be a proper young lady who practices piano and works samplers. But Samantha doesn't quite fit the profile.

Samantha meets Nellie who works as a servant for the Ryland family and the two nine-year-olds become friends.

Samantha soon realizes that Nellie's circumstances are quite a contrast to her own elegant life. Meet Samantha is the first book of the Samantha series.
"A Peek into the Past" tells of domestic life in 1904. There were no refrigerators, no freezers, no vacuum cleaners, and little prepared food.

Servants of privileged families did all the hard work for very little money and poor living conditions. ( )
  shsunon | Apr 26, 2013 |
It is rare that two hobbies of mine collide, but that is exactly the case with 'Meet Samantha'. An avid doll collector, Samantha is one of my favorite American Girl dolls. Like many, I read this book series back in the early 90's when I was scrimping and saving my pennies for Pleasant Company's American Girl dolls. 2012, it seems, has been a year of re-reading for me, and I thought what better to re-read than Samantha's story?

Set in 1904, 'Meet Samantha' introduces us to 9 year old Samantha. Rich and upper class, Samantha is far from your typical socialite. She's full of spunk and not afraid to get dirty or speak her mind. This first book in this six book series is, for the most part, an introduction to the characters and settings. That's not to say there isn't a story, because there is, but a lot of this book concentrates on relationships.

What I love most about Samantha's story is the setting. 1904 was a time where you could realistically see cars and horse drawn carriages sharing roads. New things were being invented every day. Can you imagine?

I will forever recommend the Samantha book series to young readers. They are great stories with great themes (ie: friendship, confidence, etc). Even after all these years, I had a blast reading 'Meet Samantha' and your young reader will, too! Because of that, this blog gives 'Meet Samantha' 5 out of 5 stars.
  Kewpie83 | Apr 3, 2013 |
To my parents, who made childhood beautiful
"Samantha!" The voice broke through the summer afternoon like a crack.

In 1904, nine-year-old Samantha, an orphan living with her wealthy grandmother, and her servant friend Nellie have a midnight adventure when they try to find out what has happened to the seamstress who suddenly left her job.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,668,225 books! | Top bar: Always visible