The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids…

The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids (Volume 1) (original 1990; edition 2004)

by Debbie Dadey

Member:booksandwine
Title:The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids (Volume 1)
Authors:Debbie Dadey
Info:Scholastic, Inc. (2004), Paperback
Rating:***

Vampires Don't Wear Polka Dots by Debbie Dadey (1990)

Recently added byBreaLee, KLPE, Hyzie, CommunityAtheneum, feesara8, private library, KatieEmilySmith, Dihudd, meisner26

When the students of the third grade at Bailey Elementary drive off their teacher, a new one arrives as replacement. The children are confident that their irritating tactics will work just as well on Mrs. Jeepers, the teacher from Transylvania. How wrong they are. With her mysterious green brooch, flashing green eyes, and secret history, the teacher is more than a match for the rebellious children. Soon, they are following orders and staying quiet. They do their homework, they clean the room, and obey instructions. When rumors that she is a vampire circulate, the children are only more determined to keep Mrs. Jeepers happy. Eddie, the worst of the worst, is disgusted. He isn't afraid of the new teacher. He and Melody decided to sneak into her house late one night, Eddie to prove that she is a normal teacher, and Melody to keep an eye on him. They don't find the proof Eddie wants; in fact, all they find is a box shaped like a coffin that is locked from the inside. They scoot out of there, but Eddie isn't ready to give up that easily. He tries one last time to prove who is the boss of their classroom using his most outrageous stunts. When Mrs. Jeepers finally says enough and escorts Eddie outside, what will become of the red-headed trouble maker?

This is the first book in the Bailey School series. It introduces the main characters and establishes the setting and the theme of the story. Every book features an adult who may be a supernatural creature, and the children's attempts to uncover their true identity. In this story, the clues point to actual vampires, but the author never decisively steps in and settles the matter, so the reader is free to come to her own decision. The action is fast, with quick chapters that are short enough for the intended audience, and the tone is quirky and fun with just enough spookiness to thrill but not scare. I enjoy this series, and am sure my daughters will too, when they reach the right age. ( )
  nmhale | Jul 15, 2013 |
A silly series that creates more questions than it answers. It's great for formulating theories as well as predictions. The class dynamics should be very familiar to those of the Magic School Bus generation. ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 12, 2012 |
I think this book is a great book. It is very exciting and has so many adventures. It is about kids who get a new teacher because the old teacher is tired of taking care of the students. Could it be true that their new teacher is a vampire? ( )
  catnor | Dec 16, 2010 |
(I now maintain a blog just for my kid-lit reviews. Find it at http://kidlit4adults.blogspot.com .)

A friend has convinced me to try my hand this year for the first time at writing children's literature; but I don't actually know anything about children's literature, so am starting the process among other ways by first reading a stack of popular books that have been recommended to me. Today's titles are from yet another of these series of endless chapter-books designed for grade-schoolers, in this case all of them co-penned by a duo of friends who used to be grade-school teachers themselves; this is one of the types of employment I myself am hoping to find in the industry, to kick out such easy-reading 30,000-word titles once a month or so, which is why I'm reading so many of them these days. Now, admittedly, this particular series is based on a high-concept that I find tough to imagine lasting for as long as it has; basically, each title features yet another new adult in the lives of our middle-class child heroes who may or may not be a mythological creature, exhibiting strange traits throughout the story but never just coming out and saying whether they're a mummy or vampire or whatever. (And in fact there are almost 75 books in this series now, nearly all of them featuring a different mythological creature, which just on its own is pretty impressive.) These are very much for the younger end of the chapter-book crowd, in my opinion from ages 7 to about 9 or 10, featuring lots of illustrations and a ton of silly humor; and to their credit Dadey and Jones are much more interested in simply being entertaining than in trying to teach a moral lesson, usually a common trait among books for this age group. They're nothing special, but certainly readable and fun, and come recommended for younger readers looking for their first dose of genre excitement but wanting to avoid dark material altogether. ( )
  jasonpettus | Mar 2, 2010 |
The Bailer School Kid series focuses on four children [Melody, Liza, Howie and Eddie]. Every book has the same basic plotline, the children suspect that an adult is not all that they appear to be. The children then go about trying to find proof and/or try to get rid of them. The books never say whether or not they were actually what the children thought they were, they are left open ended for the reader to determine what they thought.

This is a series of books that I highly enjoyed as a child and I still own the entire collection. Recently I started to reread them and fell in love with them all over again. ( )
  DanMan22 | Dec 8, 2009 |

Debbie Dadeyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jones, Marcia Thorntonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To
Steve and Eric
for your support, and to children everywhere for your inspiration.

~ MTJ and DD
"Poor Mrs. Deedee," said Melody.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 059043411X, Mass Market Paperback)

The hugely popular early chapter book series re-emerges with a new look! Brand-new eye-catching cover art brings a modern feel to this classic monster series for young readers.

The kids in the third grade at Bailey Elementary are so hard to handle that all of their teachers have quit. But their new teacher, Mrs. Jeepers, is different to say the least. She's just moved from the Transylvanian Alps and she seems to have some strange powers that help her deal with these mischief-makers. Her methods may be a little unconventional, but, then again, Mrs. Jeepers may be just what the Bailey School kids need.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:21 -0400)

The third grade at Bailey Elementary was very hard to handle, until a strange new teacher named Mrs. Jeepers arrived.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,916,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible