I Dream of Dragons, Volume 1 by Bianca…

I Dream of Dragons, Volume 1

by Bianca D'Arc, Summer Devon, Marie Harte

I absolutely loved the Bianca D'Arc story and would give 5 stars based on that story alone!. But I did enjoy all three stories in the anthology. Each has a different feel and is set in a different world.

"Wings of Change" from Bianca D'Arc provides a new dragon healer who must learn how to use her powers. It also provides a new race of allies for the dragons.

"Knight's Challenge" by Summer Devon gives the story of a woman who figures out she's fighting on the wrong side. But will she learn this in time to save 'her' dragon?

Finally "The Dragon's Demon" by Marie Harte tells what happens when one beautiful demon accidentally bonds with a dragon egg.

Another one for my keeper shelf. ( )
  jjmachshev | May 23, 2008 |
**Courtesy of CK2S Kwips & Kritiques**

~DRAGON TAMER by Kathleen Scott~

Serrah doesn't understand why she has been dispatched to investigate the strange illness that is killing dragons. This isn't exactly a typical case for an IFM agent. But it soon becomes apparent that their may be more to the disease affecting these fantastic creatures than meets the eye, and Serrah may just be the only one who can uncover the mystery before it is too late.

Hatchery Director Darion Archer is immediately drawn to the beautiful investigator and soon realizes that, despite her reticence regarding the dragons, she shares his affinity for them in ways that go much deeper than he could ever have expected.

DRAGON TAMER was a fantastic addition to Samhain Publishing's I DREAM OF DRAGONS series! Kathleen Scott's dragons are the embodiment of everything I have always imagined dragons would be - noble, caring, strong, and tender creatures who cherish all life, despite their greater might. Yeah, yeah, I know dragons aren't real, but the way Scott portrays them, they feel as if they could be... Indeed, this story makes me wish they were real.

Scott achieves a happy balance with the romance between Darion and Serrah and the dragon involvement in the story. We never feel as if the two elements are competing with each other at all - instead, they are a wonderful complement to each other as the heroic couple fight to save the dragons they love and the dragons show their happiness in the joining of their two favorite humans.

Even in a short story like this, Scott manages to deliver some very interesting plot twists at the end! I confess that while I had partially deduced the ending, she managed to surprise me with several things in the finish.

I commend Ms. Scott on a delightful first release with Samhain Publishing and will be looking forward to enjoying more of her work!

~HARD TO GUARD by Nina Mamone~

The Guardians are each assigned to the unpredictable Wyrms, tasked with keeping them out of trouble and the general human population safe. Easier said than done.

When both Connor's and Sorcha's charges go missing, the two are paired together to find them ASAP. But the pairing of these two Guardians proves as combustible as the Wyrms themselves, and more than their tempers flare when Connor and Sorcha are stuck in close quarters together!

Samhain Publishing has put together five new dragon-themed stories that have been published as individual eBooks and will appear together in two different print books in 2008. Nina Mamone's offering to these anthologies is HARD TO GUARD and will appear in the print anthology I DREAM OF DRAGONS II.

My favorite part of Mamone's story is the relationship between Sorcha and Connor. Each have long harbored intense feelings for the other, and each has long believed that the other does not care for them at all. It is not until they are forced into close proximity during the search for their missing charges that they finally begin to understand their true feelings for each other, and the chemistry between these two is riveting!

I was slightly disappointed that the Wyrms didn't figure greatly into the story. For an anthology titled I DREAM OF DRAGONS, I expected the dragons (wyrms) to have more of an on-screen presence.

Still, I was impressed with Mamone's writing, and I will be watching for more publications from this author in the future. ( )
  nashjar | Mar 10, 2008 |

D'Arc, Biancaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Devon, Summermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Harte, Mariemain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,567,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible