Eve of Darkness by S.J. Day

Eve of Darkness

by S.J. Day

Series: Marked (1)

Aimed for adults with a lot of sex, but written more simply as if for teens. ( )
  VicBT | Sep 21, 2014 |
Liked:
* The world-building is interesting and well-done. The system is based on Christian mythology but is unique.
* Cain & Abel are total hotties. They're interesting characters too.
* Eve is a complex and likable heroine. She does make some impetuous decisions but she never strays into Too Stupid To Live.
* This is a PNR that's on the steamier side (on par with Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress series) so if you like a hot helping of smexy with your paranormal, you'll enjoy.
* There are layers of plot here, and I'm assuming they'll untangle slowly as the series continues. I like that there are larger conspiracies and people playing off one another. Keeps me guessing.

Liked Less:
* Cliffhanger! And a very oddly structured one too. The book starts at the end and then flashes back to the beginning of Eve's journey as a Mark (someone who bears the Mark of Cain). The plot works its way to where the book started but then doesn't resolve it. So... loopy cliffhanger! I'm personally not a fan of cliffhangers.
* The whole Mark thing was sometimes confusing. When the author writes "Mark" in this book, she means someone with the Mark of Cain. I, however, kept wondering who Mark was and how I missed his entry into the scene before feeling like a total dumba$$ when I realized what she meant. It might have been wiser to refer to the Marks as something other than a common male name.
* I never really got what Eve's sin was.

Overall, a sexy urban fantasy read with a unique setup. I will definitely be checking out the next in the series (and probably Ms. Day's other series).
  Keslynn | Mar 30, 2014 |
Took me forever to get through, only finished because I started. Ugh. ( )
  newskepticx | Dec 18, 2013 |
2.5 stars.

Ten years ago, Evangelline Hollis had a hot passionate one-night stand with a misterious stranger; and now it has come back to haunt her. Turns out this was a big mistake and so Eve is Marked. The Mark of Cain makes you stronger, faster and thougher... but it also means that you have to hunt rogue demons. Thrown into a strange world against her will, Eve is forced to learn fast just to stay alive.

It really pisses me off when a book is marketed as being one thing and then you read it and it's another thing entirely.

I bought this, because I read about it as being a urban fantasy book about a woman who was forced into an unknown world of Magic and other supernatural stuff. Note that I said "urban fantasy" here. Eve of Darkness is paranormal romance; meaning the story doesn't really focus on the events I described above. Well, to be fair, it does focus on ONE aspect of the "mark": the fact that newly-marked people have a very healthy sexual appetite. Fortunately for Eve, the hunk Alec is there to satisfy her.
Oh, there is another story... but it takes very few pages compared to the parts where it's described how lusty Eve feels and how much she wants Alec and how much she is attracted to his brother Reed (Abel). This. Is. Paranormal. Romance. And not the best one I've read either.

The concept was cool, I just wished the author had done more with it. I found the world-building weak because, let's face it, the relationships were more important. Most of the characters didn't convince me either. I liked Evangelline, I thought she was a refreshing change from the more traditional contemporary fantasy heroines but the male characters were walking stereotypes (and were described as such; I mean "tall, dark and handsome"?). Just ugh.

Overall, there is not much to recommend this book. If you're looking for urban fantasy I wouldn't buy this. If you want paranormal romance... well, go for it. ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
I had issues with this story in places, the concept of being marked because of minor sins doesn't quite work with me, I did like some of the story and would like to read more to see what the author does with it, there is potential but it fell flat with how they got the character involved with the world.

She has to hunt demons and she's trying hard to work with this new world and her new abilities along with two sexy men.

not bad if a little cliched. ( )
  wyvernfriend | May 14, 2013 |
The Devil is in the details.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765360411, Mass Market Paperback)

Thrust into a world where sinners are drafted into service to kill demons, Eve’s learning curve is short. A longtime agnostic, she begrudgingly maneuvers through a celestial bureaucracy where she is a valuable but ill-treated pawn. She’s also become the latest point of contention in the oldest case of sibling rivalry in history...

But she’ll worry about all that later. Right now she’s more concerned with learning to kill while staying alive. And saving the soul she’d never believed she had.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:21 -0400)

"Cursed by God, hunted by demons, desired by Cain and Abel... All in a day's work. For Evangeline Hollis, a long ago fling with a bad boy from the wrong side of the tracks just became a disaster of biblical proportions. One night with a leather-clad man of mystery has led to a divine punishment: the Mark of Cain. Thrust into a world where sinners are drafted into service to kill demons, Eve's learning curve is short. A longtime agnostic, she begrudgingly maneuvers through a celestial bureaucracy where she is a valuable but ill-treated pawn. She's also become the latest point of contention in the oldest case of sibling rivalry in history... But she'll worry about all that later. Right now she's more concerned with learning to kill while staying alive. And saving the soul she'd never believed she had." --Publisher's description.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

S.J. Day's book Eve of Darkness was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

S.J. Day's book Eve of Darkness (Marked, Book 1) was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Sylvia Day is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,731,938 books! | Top bar: Always visible