Neurotica

Neurotica

711,138,814 (3)None

I liked Eliza Gordon’s ‘Must Love Otters’ series so much that I decided to give Neurotica a try. While I didn’t think it was as great as her others, it was still enjoyable.

Jayne Dandy has a fear of intimacy. When her therapist suggests writing erotica as a form of exposure therapy, Jayne takes the advice and writes. Late one night, she decides to self-publish her novel online under a pen name. She’s been demoted at work, and hopes she’ll sell enough books to help make ends meet. Ironically, the real trouble starts when the book is widely popular. Jayne doesn’t want her family or friends to know it is her writing these books. Therefore she and her best friend Gretchen come up with a plan to keep her identity secret. But of course, no plan of hidden identity comes easy.

This book is about much more than just Jayne overcoming her issues with intimacy. It’s about her overcoming fear in general. Whether that is confronting her mother, or pursuing a career she actually wants. Yes, her attitude towards intimacy and sex is the driving force behind a lot of what happens in the book, but her publishing her erotica novel is the catalyst for her life to change for the better.

Now let’s talk heroes. While I liked Luke at first, he does a few things that irritate me, and ultimately make me question if he is actually interested in Jayne. In the very end he redeems himself a bit, but I still think it took him too long to get his act together.
Holden. Poor guy never stood a chance. He did end up being a good friend to Jayne, which I was very happy about.
(Note #1: while there are two men interested in Jayne in the book, this is not exactly a love triangle.)

I connected with Jayne in several different aspects of her life; whether it was work, family, or personal life, I found something I could relate to in each one. I also like when I see similarities between a secondary character in a book and someone in my own life. It helps me connect and empathize better with the main character.

Overall, enjoyable. Pick it up if you need a quick read that is both nerdy and funny.
(Note #2: Even though Jayne writes erotica novels, this book doesn’t have any descriptions of sex. There is some language, but it’s a clean romance book.)
  BooksForTheLiving | Mar 20, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,826,211 books! | Top bar: Always visible