Harriet Beecher Stowe and the Beecher…

Harriet Beecher Stowe and the Beecher Preachers

by Jean Fritz

raised 6 kids, wrote, did public speaking, travelled a lot, had a successful marriage, survived the sexism of her time and father. ( )
  mahallett | Feb 11, 2014 |
I really wanted to know more about Harriet Beecher Stowe after reading "Uncle Tom's Cabin," but this book while centering around Harriet, also informed me about her whole family. I was thankful that there was a family tree chart in the book and referred to it often. I'm not sure how many children read biographies for fun but this book would be a nice one for when they have a school assignment to read a biography. ( )
  eliorajoy | Jan 23, 2014 |
Mildly interesting, and it does make me understand the Civil War era much more than I used to, but seeing as I don't really like Harriet Beecher Stowe, I didn't really enjoy Harriet Beecher Stoe And The Beecher Preachers.

But well written and very informative, so it's not bad. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Aug 14, 2012 |
This is a sensible and energetic biography, less about Harriet Beecher Stowe as the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin and more about her as a member of her family and a woman of the nineteenth century. What I mean by this is that in reading it many times as a child, and now re-reading it as an adult, what stands out is not the explanations of the Fugitive Slave Act or of HBS's reaction to learning about slavery, but the descriptions of what made life different 150 years ago and of HBS's personality. I have remembered since childhood that HBS's family members suffered from depression (which they called the "hypos") and that HBS struggled greatly to find time for her writing while giving birth to and raising six children and worrying about her husband, money, and housekeeping. These sound like gloomy things for a child to read about, but Jean Fritz's matter-of-fact, often humorous writing strikes the right tone.

Another reviewer recommends this book for teaching about slavery or during Black History Month. I'm not sure I agree, especially not if this were a main focus in the curriculum. This is a fine read, and it does explain abolitionism and the events leading up to the Civil War pretty well, but these are not the focus of the book; HBS and her family are. For Black History Month, it's more important to read biographies of black people!
  dorothean | Sep 14, 2011 |
This book presents a brief biography of Harriet Beecher Stowe, author of "Uncle Tom's Cabin," chronicling her early, family life, how slavery impacted her, and what influenced the book she wrote that helped hasten the Civil War. This book is illustrated with photographs and can be used when covering Black History Month, slavery, etc.
  rpanek | Jul 8, 2009 |

Harriet Beecher Stowe grew up in a family in which her seven brothers were expected to be successful preachers and the four girls were never to speak in public. But slavery made Harriet so angry she couldn't keep quiet. Although she used a pen rather than her voice to convince people of the evils of slavery, she became more famous than any of her brothers. She firmly believed that words could make change, and by writing Uncle Tom's Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe hastened the Civil War and changed the course of America history. "Readable and engrossing." -- The Horn Bookn"Fritz writes with verve and wit....Many kids will be stimulated to go on from here to find out more." -- Booklist (boxed review)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:02 -0400)

Presents a brief biography of Harriet Beecher Stowe, author of "Uncle Tom's Cabin," chronicling her early, family life, how slavery impacted her, and what influenced the book she wrote that helped hasten the Civil War.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,420,495 books! | Top bar: Always visible