Anansi the Spider: A Tale from the Ashanti…

Anansi the Spider: A Tale from the Ashanti (original 1986; edition 1987)

by Gerald McDermott, Gerald McDermott (Illustrator)

Member:Krguarisco
Title:Anansi the Spider: A Tale from the Ashanti
Authors:Gerald McDermott
Other authors:Gerald McDermott (Illustrator)
Info:Henry Holt and Company (1987), Edition: 1, Paperback, 48 pages
Tags:Folklore, Multicultural, Caldecott

Anansi the Spider: A Tale from the Ashanti by Gerald McDermott (1986)

Read for Book Store/Library assignment
  jet6 | Apr 8, 2017 |
I did not like this book because of the language that is uses. I think the story is a very good concept but I do not think children will understand the language. It is hard to follow along with the book when the sentences do not make sense. Also, you are only told what half of the sons get their name for but they use their "powers" throughout the book. ( )
  kkrume1 | Apr 5, 2017 |
I believe the Story of Anansi is great for many reasons. The syntax is simple enough for young readers and the overall idea's of working together can be explained to all. The illustrations also pay homage to the origins of the story while also depicting the words very cleary, as all the charactes and details are created with intricate signs and patterns. The story intends to explain how the moon ended up in the sky and is a gift to us all but are more prominent idea is working together as a group like the six sons did in rescuing their father. ( )
  mbrook26 | Mar 30, 2017 |
Review:
I enjoyed this book for two reasons. First of which is the story. I had seen this book before it was presented to me in this class, but I had never read it. I enjoyed that it had a mini lesson within the story that showed how even though every one of the children were different from each other, they were still able to work together to save Anansi. The second reason is the illustrations. The book is vibrantly colored, using multiple contrasting colors to being about a sense of excitement as the story is being told. The overall theme of the book is that even though we all may be different we all have a place in life. ( )
  mmoria4 | Mar 9, 2017 |
I liked this book. I really did enjoy the cultural presence of the Ashanti people throughout the boo. The names of Anansi's sons are very traditionally rooted in the African culture. I liked that the characters were believable as well. For example, all of Anansi's sons were competing on who is going to save their dad, an effort in which they all share equally but in different ways, Competition among siblings is a very real societal conflict and it was emulated well in this book. Another reason I liked it was because of the plot.It was an interesting take on why we have the moon in the sky. For example, Anansi gave the his sons the moon, but placed it in the sky so they cold all share and look at it. This way, it solves the conflict of who really saved him and rewarded all of his sons. The main message in this story is to always help those in need, especially family , and that family should always stick together. ( )
  abeach5 | Mar 8, 2017 |

for my Mother and Father
(from the prologue) Anansi is a folk hero to the Ashanti. This funny fellow is a rogue, a wise and loveable trickster. He is a shrewd and cunning figure who triumphs over larger foes.
Anansi asked this of Nyame- "Please hold the beautiful globe of light until I know which son should have it for his own."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805003118, Paperback)

Anansi the Spider is a wise, funny, mischievous, and loveable folk hero who pops up in traditional Ashanti tales from Ghana, in West Africa. This story, retold and illustrated by Gerald McDermott, relates the tale of father Anansi and his six spider sons. When Anansi sets out on a dangerous journey and gets into all sorts of trouble, each son does one thing to help, and all their efforts together save their father. He finds a mysterious, beautiful globe of light in the forest, and decides to make it a gift of thanks. But which son should receive the prize? Even with the help of Nyame, the God of All Things, he can't decide, so Nyame takes the great globe up into the sky, and that's where it has stayed ever since--the moon, for all to see. This profound story reaches children of many ages; younger ones see it as an exciting rescue story, but older children are intrigued by the larger themes of cooperation and "the whole being more than its parts."

Anansi the Spider, McDermott's first book, received immediate acclaim and was named a Caldecott Honor Book. McDermott has retold and illustrated many other folktales and myths during his long career, including Arrow to the Sun: A Pueblo Indian Tale, which received the Caldecott Medal, Musicians of the Sun, and a series of trickster folktales from around the world. He has a rare combination of skills, being both a gifted writer and a talented artist. His distinctive graphic style using bold shapes and brilliant colors is always striking, but is especially well suited to the story of Anansi, with traditional African motifs skillfully integrated throughout the art. This is a story that can be read over and over again! (Ages 4 to 9) --Marcie Bovetz

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:44 -0400)

In trying to determine which of his six sons to reward for saving his life, Anansi the Spider is responsible for placing the moon in the sky.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,835,720 books! | Top bar: Always visible