Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson

Bear Snores On (edition 2002)

by Karma Wilson, Jane Chapman (Illustrator)

Member:skcramer
Title:Bear Snores On
Authors:Karma Wilson
Other authors:Jane Chapman (Illustrator)
Info:
Tags:picture book, bears, animals, winter, party, hibernation, sleep, storytime, rhyming

Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson

Recently added byrebe18, sobcrca, TOPS.Orinda, Whisper1, NLCCS, jsylve, KDKat5, tieclc, Alloc, private library

A hibernating bear is sleeping in his cave while winter is approaching. His friends the mouse, hare, badger, gopher, mole, raven and wren come into the cave. They build a fire they eat and they make lots of noise, but the bear still sleeps. After a party breaks lose they wake the bear and he is angry at first but then wants to play, but now the bears friends are sleep. Karma Wilson has a great collection of bear books that can teach students about the different seasons and hibernation. ( )
  jsylve | Sep 30, 2014 |
In my opinion Bear Snores On is a fabulous children’s book. I feel this way based on the simple, yet, expressive language, writing style, and the well thought out pictures to support the story. First, I feel as though the language is descriptive, and has a repetition throughout the book, which young children love. For example, on every fourth page it says, “But the bear snores on.” I know when I read this story to my sisters, they couldn’t wait to say “But the bear snores on,” as though they were apart of the story. This makes the story engaging! Which leads me to the writing style. The writing is expressive, engaging, and flows so smoothly. Here is an example that supports my opinion, “Cuddled in a heap, with his eyes shut tight, he sleeps though the day, he sleeps though the night. The cold winds howl and the night sounds growl. But the bear snores on.” The writing is so calming and engaging. Lastly, the illustrations, oh the illustrations! I find myself so taken by each illustration. The bear looks so sound, and each one of his friends are so blissful and warm feeling in my eyes. The colors are very soft, thus, they are all appropriate for the mood of the story. In conclusion, the message of the story is based around a bear who slumbers through his friends having fun together in his cave while he snores on, when he wakes he appears very angry, but really he just wished he had been able to enjoy the time with his friends. ( )
  sarahbassett | Sep 22, 2014 |
An adorable parade of woodland creatures gathers in the lair of a hibernating bear to take shelter from a blustery storm. Everything goes quite cozily until Bear wakes up to an unexpected party. It's like The Hobbit meets Winnie-the-Pooh, told with big cute pictures and spare cutesy verse.

This 2003 ALA Notable Book makes a great choice for preschool story times built around themes of winter, friendship, forest animals, or waking up from snoozing. I am also convinced it would make awesome puppet theater.

Song pairing: "Sleeping Bunnies"
  rarewren | May 1, 2014 |
Bear Snores On
By Karma Wilson (2005)

I liked Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson for three reasons. First, I liked the repetition of the phrase, “But the bear snores on.” Specifically, at first, the phrase is made up of a small font, but as more creatures gather in the bear’s lair, the font size increases. Second, I liked how the creatures made a ruckus—for example, they popped white corn, slurped, and burped—but the bear continued sleeping. However, a small pepper fleck made the bear sneeze, and he awakes. Thus, the loud noises do not wake the bear, but instead, a small, insignificant pepper fleck—how ironic. Lastly, I liked how the story ended with all the creatures besides the bear snoring on. Overall, the “big idea” of Bear Snores On is to exemplify the act of hibernation. Hibernation is a time when animals ‘sleep’ through the cold weather, which is demonstrated by the bear. ( )
  Mdierd1 | Mar 10, 2014 |
Love it! ( )
  lmeza | Feb 6, 2014 |
Ages 3-6. "In a cave in the woods, in his deep, dark lair, through the long, cold winter sleeps a great brown bear." To the rhythm of such fetching verses, a tiny mouse seeks shelter in a bear's snug cave. A hare soon follows, and the two quietly pop corn and brew tea as "bear snores on." Then a badger arrives with crunchy nuts to share, followed by a gopher, a mole, a wren, and a raven. Bear's den is full and noisy (as indicated by the large, bold type), but bear still "snores on." Then a fleck of pepper for the stew mouse is seasoning makes Bear sneeze, and he awakens to the revelers in his cave. Happy for the company and the food they have prepared, he stays up all night telling stories. In the morning, it's Bear who is awake; everyone else is fast asleep and snoring. The comfy look of Bear's cave and the snappy rhythm of the text beckon youngsters into the story, and the expressively drawn, amusingly posed animal characters ensure repeated readings.
added by Dpadelsky | editBooklist, Ellen Mandel

Karma Wilsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chapman, JaneIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

It seems like Bear can sleep through anything. As a succession of animals enter his cave to escape the fierce storm, he continues to snore. Mouse makes a nice warm fire, Hare cooks popcorn and Badger brings treats...They are having a great time. But when Bear wakes up and realizes he's missed out on the fun, his visitors fear the worst. Can Bear be persuaded to join the party? This read-aloud rhyming story has fun, suspense and a happy ending. Ages 3-7.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689831870, Hardcover)

On a cold windy night, an itty-bitty mouse "pitter-pat, tip-toe, creep-crawls" into a sleeping bear's cozy lair, looking for relief from the bitter winter weather. Soon he is joined by a veritable menagerie of woodland animals, and the party begins. Popping corn, brewing tea, tweeting, and chatting, the critters enjoy themselves thoroughly while the bear slumbers through it all. Until, that is, an errant pepper flake from the simmering stew wakes him up with a giant sneeze. As the bear goes from ferocious snarls and rumbles to pitiful whimpers, his uninvited guests realize what the problem is.
You've snuck in my lair
and you've all had fun!
But me? I was sleeping
and...
I have had none!
Not to worry. Mouse knows just what to do.

First-time author Karma Wilson and artist Jane Chapman (illustrator of Phyllis Root's One Duck Stuck) have created a charming little tale of sharing and caring that will have readers of all ages cheering at the humorous finale. (Ages 3 to 7) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:49 -0400)

On a cold winter night many animals gather to party in the cave of a sleeping bear, who then awakes and protests that he has missed the food and the fun.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,392,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible