Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, Volume 20 by…

Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, Volume 20

by CLAMP

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.com by express permission of this reviewer Synopsis After the fallout from the previous volumes, the remains of the group end up in Fai's [pronounced F-eye] homeworld, where Fai must face up to what he has done, in the present and in the past. Fai's past is also revealed, pure tragedy. We find out how Wei-Fang has been manipulating things from the very beginning and how Yuko the Time Witch has been opposing him. My Thoughts Volumes like this are why I love CLAMP's stuff. Pure, unadulterated drama and pathos. Twins sacrificing themselves, rulers going insane & destroying entire countries, memories returning, friends making horrific sacrifices for each other. Kurogane cuts his own arm off to return Fai's magic so they can all escape. (hide spoiler) How cool is that?!? This story arc is more about the big picture, so it obviously isn't resolved. I am actually getting excited about how this will all turn out. Rating: 4 of 5 Stars Artist & Author: CLAMP " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I think Kurogane described it best when he exclaimed, "What went on here!"

Indeed, the last volume left everyone (or at least me) flabbergasted as WTF moment of events occurred. Although, we do get an explanation of sorts in this volume as to what happened, the convoluted nature of the explanation gives one flashbacks of Star Trek Voyager's technobabble deus ex machina solutions.

However, the story really picks up in the latter half of the book, as we are finally shown the mysterious history surrounding Fai. For those who have been used to the cheerful nature of Tsubasa, and felt the recent volumes as being too grim, might want to avoid (or rush through) Fai's story as it's dark enough to want to swallow an entire pillcase full of prozac.

Of course, this makes for interesting drama. ( )
  timothyl33 | Jul 9, 2011 |
After a tragic loss the fractured band of dimensional travelers learn that they will need to travel to Fai's home world of Seresu for the next step of their quest.

I so just want to take Fai home and cuddle him. The tragedy surrounding him is intense and there were a few times reading this manga where I felt like crying. There is a flashback part where we learn of Fai's terrible past. He's just so cute in those parts, I can't believe anyone could do what they did to him! Kurogane comes into his own as protector and is actually responsible for the few lighter moments in the story. As always Clamp has done a consummate job with the artwork and do a wonderful job with showing emotion through both picture and words. Although I've completely caught up with the online translations I will continue to buy the manga as it comes out because it is so much better having the book in my hand! Knowing what is going to happen really doesn't lessen my empathy for the characters and each new volume still has surprises that I am obviously missing while viewing on the screen. ( )
  Jenson_AKA_DL | Jan 30, 2009 |

The princess has been betrayed and her body sent to Fai's frozen home world of Seresu. In order to follow Sakura, the wrecked remains of the band of travelers must pay their price to the witch. And once they arrive, Fai will have to confront the one he's been fleeing -- and the horrific truth of his past!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,595,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible