Balance of Power by James W. Huston

Balance of Power

by James W. Huston

When I entered this book into LibraryThing, probably back in 2009, I did not remember it. I put 2 stars on the book, as that was my SOP for this type of novel. In April of this year, 2018, I noticed the average rating was 3.78. I thought I'd try it again. I bumped the rating to three stars. I recall the "President is a pacifist" material. I wish the book listed the date and time when it switched from DC to the Java Sea. I tried to keep track of the day, but when it was finally mentioned I thought it was Sunday. Nope - Friday. Too bad this was a thriller, not a time-traveling science fiction story. 206 members; 3.78 average rating; 4/10/2018 ( )
  mainrun | May 4, 2018 |
This book is an excellent mix of politcal intrigue, legal conundrums and tactical action--it's an excellent thriller. The author uses the constitution to drive action--I'm glad it wasn't me on the pointy end of that stick. It's partisan politics on steroids. The tactical battle scenes, usually boring, were interesting to me. The book poses some constitutional questions that get your attention. I don't pass out five stars often, this one deserves it. ( )
  buffalogr | Oct 12, 2015 |
I want to like this more than I did, but much like the other Huston books I've read recently, the book seems to be incomplete. His novels seem to end 3/4 of the way through what the end SHOULD be. ( )
  eclipse75048 | Oct 18, 2012 |
Another really good story by James W. Huston, an excellent thriller writer! ( )
  barb302 | Feb 13, 2011 |
A situation applicable to today's headlines; piracy on the high seas!
Very interesting scenarios; Constitutional powers of the three branches of government, political interests, Chinese involvement & potential military "rebellion."
Congress overrules the President & orders the Navy to take action against Pirates. Do the Commanders obey Congress or the Commander-in-Chief? ( )
  fordf15005 | Apr 26, 2009 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380731592, Mass Market Paperback)

John Stanbridge, the Speaker of the House in James W. Huston's exciting and exceptionally timely first thriller, isn't exactly Newt Gingrich ("He was of average height with dark brown hair that was stiff and unruly. He wore it parted on the side, but the only time his hair looked neat was in the morning when it was still wet") but he is a hawkish, confrontational Republican who can't stand the idea that President Edward Manchester--a Democrat and a pacifist--is Commander in Chief of America's armed forces. So when Indonesian terrorists hijack a new American supercargo vessel and torture the captain and crew on live TV, Stanbridge is delighted to discover a clause in the Constitution that lets Congress go behind the president's unwilling back and authorize military action on its own. This leads to a Constitutional crisis, which lawyer Huston describes crisply, as well as some air and sea military action, on which former jet pilot Huston also brings a lot of personal expertise to bear. There's even a love story, involving top aides of the Speaker and the president, ensuring that Balance of Power will soon be playing at a movie theater near you. --Dick Adler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:18 -0400)

An American president refuses to attack Indonesia for a terrorist hit on a U.S. ship, so Congress goes over his head and an aircraft carrier strikes. A look at the Letters of Marque and Reprisal, a little-known law which empowers Congress to do this.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,427,517 books! | Top bar: Always visible